Okay, So my audition is probably gonna me sometime in late January or Feburary because my teacher will send my UCAS off by tomorrow or so.

So what song should I learn?

Please don't BOTHER saying Jazz. Don't get me wrong, I appriciate Jazz but im using www.guitarbackingtracks.com and it doesnt contain jazz songs, unless you can tell me where i can find a backing track and tab for a jazz song.

So I was thinking maybe YYZ by Rush?
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Arpeggios from hell.
Do it.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Since its university, anything by Radiohead will suffice.

EDIT:
Quote by ibrahimasood
Okay, So my audition is probably gonna me sometime in late January or Feburary because my teacher will send my UCAS off by tomorrow or so.

Okay wow I totally missed this part the first time around. You'll want to stay away from rock music. They'll appreciate (and dare I say looking for) classical/jazz/maybe blues.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Dec 10, 2009,
Since it's guitarbackingtracks.com, Smells Like Teen Spirit will suffice.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by ibrahimasood
thats a bit out of my range

You won't be accepted. Universities train with a classical and theoretical approach. If you really need a tab you won't get accepted.
Quote by loudog93
can you audition with a rock song? how does college stuff work?

EDIT:
I posted this before I saw your post, but hopefully it helps explain.

You COULD learn something like that (YYZ), but generally that does not fit among standard repertoire.
I'm sorry, but Jazz and Classical guitar is generally what Universities expect, considering generally that's what they teach as well. (I learn primarily Classical technique, but I'm a jazz player at heart, so in my lessons after working on some piece of classical rep to fit a requirement we work on improv)

Althouh, depending on the school, they very well may appreciate something different.

When I did my audition I played Czardas (an arrangement by Chet Atkins). I did not have any accompaniment (though it is supposed to).
and Lenny by SRV

So I had something a bit more in standard Rep (Czardas), and something that showed a bit more of what I usually do.

Go figure, now I normally play things like Czardas and I play less stuff like blues.

Although, there are some schools that will accept anything, in which case you want to learn something that just proves what you're capable of, such as YYZ.
Although remember, you don't need a backing track.

Most players go in without an accompaniment, so don't let that limit you.

It doenst matter if it sounds a bit empty because you're the only one playing. When most people audition, it sounds empty.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Last edited by NaivexLi at Dec 10, 2009,