Don't know about Baroness so I can't help you out there.

For CTS here's what they used:

Brent Hinds:

Dirty tones
1978 Marshall JMP MkII 100 watt head
Marshall JMP2203 100 watt head
1968 Marshall JMP 100 watt head (solos)
Marshall 4x12 cabs loaded with Celestion G12t-75 speakers

Clean tones
1972 Fender Twin Reverb head
Silverface 2x15 cab loaded with 15" Celestion bass speakers

He mostly used his Gibson guitars but also used his First Act customs, his Martin D-15 acoustic, a Fender Strat, and a Fender Tele.

As far as effects, I'm not sure what he used on the album but I know he has a DigiTech DD-6, a Boss GE-7, an Ibanez TS9, a Boss CS-3, a Monster Effects Mastortion, and a couple other pedals that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Bill Keliher:

Marshall JMC800 2203 reissue
Marshall JCM800 Kerry King
Mills Acoustic Afterburner 4x12 with Celestion V30's

For his guitars he mostly used his 1980 Gibson Explorer and his Silverburst LP but also used his Yamaha SGB3000s and his First Act custom 9-string.

Again I don't know what effects he used on the album but I know he has an Ibanez TK999US, a Guyatone MD-3, and a Boss RT-20.

I hope that helps you somewhat.
Will, he also uses a few Dan Armstrong Customs. He has a regular style and a V.

The 70s JMP is normally slaved into the VM, too.

Not being an ass, just added to your list of awesome gear they use

As for pedals to get that sound, I really don't know. I don't think anyone really makes one. You could maybe look into Wampler pedals... They have a few that pull off the old Marshall JMP/Plexi tone.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Will, he also uses a few Dan Armstrong Customs. He has a regular style and a V.

The 70s JMP is normally slaved into the VM, too.

Not being an ass, just added to your list of awesome gear they use

As for pedals to get that sound, I really don't know. I don't think anyone really makes one. You could maybe look into Wampler pedals... They have a few that pull off the old Marshall JMP/Plexi tone.

I don't think he used his Dan Armstrongs or his Vintage Modern to record the album, though. He also has an original JCM800 2203 in his live rig.
I'm in the process of revamping my whole setup so I don't know that it really matters right now. My practice amp is falling apart. For guitars I have an LTD F-200 an Ibanez Artcore, and a Squier Strat. I'm going to be buying very soon a half stack, new guitar, and some pedals. Haven't decided what of what yet though.
Budget for amp - <$1000 (a friend of mine is offering me a Marshall Transtube 100w for $300 though so I may go for that)

Genres - I play everything from like indie to technical black metal, this new setup I want to be in the heavy end of the range, I'm really digging the tones used by Baroness, Isis, and Mastodon right now. Needs to be good for shredding also.

New or Used - Can go either way, depends on price

Closest City - I live in Boston

Time Frame - I think I want to have this set up complete by like february or march I think. It depends on money.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Dec 10, 2009,
A) Trying to get album tones without studio tools is impossible.

B) You're not going to get a good sludge tone from pedals alone.

C) what kind of gear do you have now?

D) A shred tone is quite different than a sludge tone (Mastodon, Baroness, High on Fire, Neurosis, etc.)

So, I suggest you start with the amp and work your way back. Get something like a Peavey VTM (Baroness used them on the Red Album), a good boost or 2 and a good fuzz. Maybe a delay.
I would think you could get the tones for both of those styles out of some guitar. Pedals, amps, etc I'm willing to keep adding to for whatever I need. The guitars and stuff I have now I listed higher up in the thread. I'm going to be buying all new stuff soon though.

I know I wont be able to get the same tone without studio tools, but I don't want to sound exactly the same, I'm only looking for a sound that is in the same vein.
Alright, since you want shreddy type stuff and sludgey type stuff, this is what I would personally go with:

Guitars: LTD Viper Baritone OR Japanese Les Paul, and a Superstrat of some kind, like an Ibanez SV.

Amps (to look at)- Sovtek Mig, Redbear MK Lead, Marshall Superbass, Marshall JCM800, Peavey Windsor, Peavey VTM, Soldano Avenger, Jet City JH-100, Blackheart Hothead, anything by Sunn, Ampeg V4, Laney GH, Laney AOR.

Pedals: Pretty much any overdrive/boost pedal, and a Big Muff style fuzz, and an analog delay.
Quote by imgooley
Alright, since you want shreddy type stuff and sludgey type stuff, this is what I would personally go with:

Guitars: LTD Viper Baritone OR Japanese Les Paul, and a Superstrat of some kind, like an Ibanez SV.

Amps (to look at)- Sovtek Mig, Redbear MK Lead, Marshall Superbass, Marshall JCM800, Peavey Windsor, Peavey VTM, Soldano Avenger, Jet City JH-100, Blackheart Hothead, anything by Sunn, Ampeg V4, Laney GH, Laney AOR.

Pedals: Pretty much any overdrive/boost pedal, and a Big Muff style fuzz, and an analog delay.

Thanks. I'm going to look into all of those.

It's tough picking things out. Pedals and amps especially I don't know a lot about. I like all styles of music, and like to play everything. All instruments even. Guitar is my main thing, but I also do stuff on piano, violin/viola, bass and drums.
if you want a really versatile amp, get the peavey tube vypyr halfstack
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Not gonna lie i didnt read everyones posts because they just showed what the guys use. That doesn't really help...

Getting good mastodon tone or baroness tone in't really that hard.

You don't want very saturated distortion or gain, you want a big fat mahogany body sound with some good pups. A duncan distortion in the bridge works well. And so does Gibson Burstbuckers. Pickup wise as long as you have nice balanced pickups you should be fine. Its just a matter of getting a good distortion tone.

Haha if you can get a good ol' marshall JCM800 your in. But if not just find an amp you like and check out a few distortion pedals. The Blackstar Dual HT pedal works pretty well for mastodon stuff.

You just gotta find what you want.
Big mahogany body, nice pickups nice not to saturated distortion.
and your all set. hah
bump for more sugggestions
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Not gonna lie i didnt read everyones posts because they just showed what the guys use. That doesn't really help...

Wrong.

If you don't know what gear they use then you're not going to be able to emulate their tone.

For example, Mastodon uses Marshalls so you wouldn't wanna run out and buy a Mesa if you're trying to emulate their tone.

Also, if a band has a very effects heavy sound then you wouldn't be able to emulate their tone without knowing what effects are needed.

For example, Tim Mahoney has a bazillion effects on his board so you wouldn't be able to emulate a good 311 tone without using the effects that he does (not necessarily the same models or brands, but you would need the same effects).
amp: jcm800 2203, 2204, 2205, 2210 and a boost. 2203kk. sovtek mig 60/100. peavey vtm 60/120.
effects. really depends on the song, but a delay is surely needed. and a wah
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Wrong.

If you don't know what gear they use then you're not going to be able to emulate their tone.

For example, Mastodon uses Marshalls so you wouldn't wanna run out and buy a Mesa if you're trying to emulate their tone.

Also, if a band has a very effects heavy sound then you wouldn't be able to emulate their tone without knowing what effects are needed.

For example, Tim Mahoney has a bazillion effects on his board so you wouldn't be able to emulate a good 311 tone without using the effects that he does (not necessarily the same models or brands, but you would need the same effects).

fair man, i'm just saying they weren't really shooting ideas. JUST stating what they use, doesn't entirely help with the question.

But your right, just saying people need to elaborate more than just stating what the bands use. Thats all.
Quote by Holy-Diver
amp: jcm800 2203, 2204, 2205, 2210 and a boost. 2203kk. sovtek mig 60/100. peavey vtm 60/120.
effects. really depends on the song, but a delay is surely needed. and a wah

Maybe for Baroness, I dunno because I haven't listened to much of their stuff. But there is no wah in Mastodon as far as guitars are concerned. Troy uses a bass wah, but I don't believe the TS is playing bass.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Don't know about Baroness so I can't help you out there.

For CTS here's what they used:

Brent Hinds:

Dirty tones
1978 Marshall JMP MkII 100 watt head
Marshall JMP2203 100 watt head
1968 Marshall JMP 100 watt head (solos)
Marshall 4x12 cabs loaded with Celestion G12t-75 speakers

Clean tones
1972 Fender Twin Reverb head
Silverface 2x15 cab loaded with 15" Celestion bass speakers

He mostly used his Gibson guitars but also used his First Act customs, his Martin D-15 acoustic, a Fender Strat, and a Fender Tele.

As far as effects, I'm not sure what he used on the album but I know he has a DigiTech DD-6, a Boss GE-7, an Ibanez TS9, a Boss CS-3, a Monster Effects Mastortion, and a couple other pedals that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Bill Keliher:

Marshall JMC800 2203 reissue
Marshall JCM800 Kerry King
Mills Acoustic Afterburner 4x12 with Celestion V30's

For his guitars he mostly used his 1980 Gibson Explorer and his Silverburst LP but also used his Yamaha SGB3000s and his First Act custom 9-string.

Again I don't know what effects he used on the album but I know he has an Ibanez TK999US, a Guyatone MD-3, and a Boss RT-20.

I hope that helps you somewhat.

since when does he own fenders? i know they used them on the album, but they were in the atudio already or the guy that was doing their album with them had them in a warehouse or some shit with a bunch of other stuff.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
since when does he own fenders? i know they used them on the album, but they were in the atudio already or the guy that was doing their album with them had them in a warehouse or some shit with a bunch of other stuff.

First off that was a list of stuff they used in the studio.

Second, if you're referring to the guitars they belong to Brendan O'Brien. If you're referring to the amp then its definitely Brent's.
baroness has been playing bad cats on their recent tour
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
baroness has been playing bad cats on their recent tour

Yea, but John Baizley used a VTM120 before he switched over and I think that's what you hear on their albums. I'm not huge into Baroness though so I'm not positive.