well, I've been wondering for ages what is this technique call and how to do it. Basically, it's just when you hold down 1 note and with some vibrato of some sorts (either tremolo or usual vibrato), the note gradually increase in pitch and then reach a high sound as if you use pinch harmonics on the note.

I figure it is some kind of artificial harmonics but never really get to know to do it. The only way I can pull out something like that is vibrato on the 9th fret of the B string, but that's not always effective. Some can anybody tell me what this is and how to do it also ?

Satch use this technique in the song Love Thing, check it out at 0:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFsCr8wUL6w

Thank you in advance
Like at the start of Foxy Lady?

I'm guessing it's feedback.

EDIT: That's exactly what it is.
ultimate-guitar is for idiots.
Last edited by firetothemax at Dec 10, 2009,
Yeah, he means feedback
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
quick vibrato on the tremolo bar, no real trick here other than that i think
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by Dream Floyd
Yeah, he means feedback

this.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Just letting the note ring out with some feedback and using the whammy bar. Not really a "technique".
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Make sure your mids are up though. i got a 5 minute pinch harmonic with a bunch of feedback, and thats the longest ive ever gotten
Quote by Don't Stop
Put a piece of tape on the headstock and write "Gibson" on it.
If done properly, this should quadruple your sustain.

Quote by pitobodies
That post is probably the deepest, wisest, most mature thing to ever spill forth from the Pit.

Metallica!!
Maiden!!
A7X!!
but how is getting feedback when he isnt gtting closer to the amp or nothin?
Quote by SunDrop
but how is getting feedback when he isnt gtting closer to the amp or nothin?

Its all in the technique.
Well What you can do besides feedback is put your finger on the octaved note of the note your currently playing. Now in English Tap harmonic as you do vibrato.
COLOURS
What's your fav colour? (Color if you don't use the U)
I've been asking this for a while (also for love thing incidentally) but i figured out how to do it.

As mentioned above, it's simply feedback. However, you need plenty of channel volume, good bass range and mids and a fair bit of treble. Hit the note you want, angle the guitar towards the amp or speaker and you need to position yourself at a certain position of the soundwave (known as a 'node', check some physics notes for more detail).

The effect of this is that the sound waves resonates at the same frequency as the string, causing the string to continuously vibrate, effectively creating an everlasting note.

It's important to keep the other strings muted when you do this, and make sure that you don't accidentally touch the string you're trying to get feedback on. Of course, you can still use the vibrato bar or create vibrato from your fingers to get the best expression out of the note.

Think that's pretty much everything. Any other problems, drop me a line.
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
) I get it now why I can't ever do this thing, I'm not even playing through an amp, all I use is the Podxt and a pair of headphones .

Thanks very much everybody, especially you, Mr. Black_Rat_1214