Hi guys, im having trouble with my Gt 8. The distortion patch i like to use (mid Stereo) sounds sweet through headphones but as soon as i plug it into my Marshall Stack it sounds weak. My bandmate uses a line 6 half stack with individual pedals and i just cant compete with him. I dont mean volume levels i just mean his distortion seems to have way more kick.

Im in a cover band and we dont do metal stuff, but im wondering if there are any tips for helping improve the tone? Clean channels sound beautiful and im really happy with that. Im also happy with my Lead patch. Its just my distorted rhythm patch. Ive tried turning bass up/down, middle up and down and loads of treble. Im kind of looking for a modern Greenday type distortion.

i know there are plenty of other patches but i always seem to have the same prob.

Any ideas? Oh im currently using a fernandes monterey elite guitar incase that helps. But ive had the same trouble with my ibanez and my strat.
does your amp have an FX loop? if so put it through that. makes a world of difference.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
1. Try a different cable from the GT to the amp.
2. Plug straight into the amp. It could be an amp issue.
3. Make sure the output jack of the GT is ok.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this.

I own a POD X3 Live and sold my GT10 for just this reason.

The Boss amp models just don't have the balls that the line 6 ones do. (Although the effects on the GT were much better).

Simply put, the Line 6 series excels at the high gain tones. Not only that but the Line 6 seems to "cut through the mix" much better then the GT series.

If you're using an older GT8 and into a marshall stack it's not going to sound nearly as good. ESPECIALLY if that is a solid state Marshall amp.

Also you should check how you're plugging into your amp. Do NOT plug the GT8 into the front of the amp as it makes it sound like complete crap. Instead, plug into the effects loop of your amp and control the volume using the master volume on your GT8 (if you have one).
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Dec 10, 2009,
Cheers peeps, im running it through a Marshall AVT150 its valvestate tho so that contributes im sure. And yes i normally plug it straight into the guitar input. So a suggestion is to plug it into the effects loop then is it ? Do i just select clean channel as normal to run it through then?
It doesn't matter what channel you have it on when you plug into the effects loop.

When plugged into the effects loop you're bypassing the preamp and just using the 'amp' portion of the AVT150.

You definitely do NOT want to plug into the front of the amp. Try that out and let me know if you think it has improved your tone a bit.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I certainly will so gt 8 into the fx loop and guitar ito t 8 too yeah?
Yes, plug the GT8 into your effects loop and then the guitar into the GT8.

The GT8 will then act as your preamp.

By plugging into the effects loop you are bypassing the valvestate's preamp and essentially just using it as a poweramp. Making your signal chain: Guitar->preamp->poweramp.

This way you don't have TWO preamps coloring your tone. Don't forget that you may have to "retune" your sound a bit after you set it up this way.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Well ive tried this method. But cant seem to get it to work?? On the rear of my amp i have FX send and FX retrurn inputs. But ive tried both and no joy.....
Plug your guitar into your GT8, then plug the output of the GT8 into the effects return on the amp. If that still doesn't work, then it means that the loop on the amp is "closed". You then may need to plug just a dummy cable into the effects send on the amp (you don't have to plug the other end of the cable into anything).

Let me know if that works for you.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
if your effect is in stereo, try setting it to mono. a similar effect happened with my pod plugged into my amp if i had a stereo delay set up. only half of the signal was getting to the amp, and would phase out as it cycled in stereo.

remember your amp is only in mono!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.