I'm writing a paper for my "meaning of life" Freshman Seminar and had a question about how to cite a casual conversation that you've had with a reliable source about the subject at hand.

Here is a longer explanation (the point I'm wanting to explain with this is the bilogical necessity of love):

The last time I was home, I went over to my grandmother's house to practice piano late at night. Afterwards, I went to talk to her about my classes and we got into a discussion about the meaning of life. She brought some very interesting viewpoints to my attention that I would love to use in my paper. For example, she and her husband were Pediatritians who cared for the orphaned children after World War II in Berlin. Since there were very few Doctors and quite a few infants (mostly orphans with fathers who died in the war), it was simply impossible for the Doctors to care for all of the children equally (they provided their basic needs, but weren't able to spend adequate time nurturing the children). As a result of this, she saw that many of the infants who received less attention developed much more slowly (she said some children still had no clue how to sit up or open their eyes while the ones that received more care were learning to talk). She was an eyewitness to this, but the interview was in no ways formal. How do I cite this? Do I use the same format as an interview source (even though it was more like casual conversation?). My University uses MLA formatting, by the way.

Thank you so much for any help you can give!
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Dec 10, 2009,
You have to write a paper on The Meaning of Life? How the hell can you do that?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by cam_sampbell
You have to write a paper on The Meaning of Life? How the hell can you do that?

The whole class is basically a Freshman writing class. But my University divides that class into various "topics" that students can pick from so they take interest in what they are learning to write about. So the entire class is about the meaning of life.

As far as the paper goes, we have to both examine the existing viewpoints academically while we persuasively argue our own view of the meaning of life. We're graded based on how well we move from our starting positions to our conclusion (not whether or not we have the "correct" meaning of life)
Not sure you can cite informal conversations to be honest. Check the MLA citation book.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not sure you can cite informal conversations to be honest. Check the MLA citation book.

Well, if all else fails, I guess I could BS it and say it was an interview.