I had to overview a problem for my very easy debate class. I thought it might offend a lot of people here in The Pit so I'm opening it up to you guys.

Please do not copy it, as it is my original work.
This represents like 5 minutes of research and is for humor as much as it is seroius, so please don't take it like I am some hardball conservative freak.

The problem: Political correctness or PC as it’s commonly referred as.
I can understand that people can sometimes be offended. For instance, if I were to walk up to a very obese lady in McDonalds and say “You lazy fat witch, get a life outside of this oversized grease barn”, I would be offensive and rude, and should apologize. The problem lies in when things become no longer okay to say and are deemed “offensive.” When I am no longer allowed to say “Merry Christmas” in a country in which 70% of the population claim to be Christians, there is a problem. Apart from this there are many other vocabulary changes that, according to PC must be made. These include replacing “ black or negro” with “African American”, “Hispanic, for “Mexican”, “intoxicated or alcoholic” instead of “drunk” and alternative lifestyle” instead of “gay” Entering the minds of children are stories from a book called “Politically Correct Bedtime Stories.

The plan: The problem does not lie with any one person or group of people. It is a mindset, poisonous to free speech and ideas. It is not an overnight change. The change starts with the leaders in a country, organization or talk show instead of wishing their viewers or constituents a happy holiday, they wish them a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah. Instead of fixing unemployment in the African American communities, they help solve the problems in the Negro community. I am not saying that “African American” is a bad thing to say, but neither is Negro!

The benefits: I am not saying that it should be right for decent people to offend others different from them. In fact, anybody who enjoys this is no more than a playground bully who never grew up. Despite this, people should have the freedom to speak their mind however they please without being cited of as a hate monger or jailed for “hate crime”. This is America, the land of the free and home of the brave. If you want to live in a place surrounded by people pleasers and those afraid to speak their mind, move to Washington DC.

Political correctness is ridiculous to an extent. As long as people exist they are going to offend each other, the problem lies not in the terminology we use but the way we take things so seriously. Just because they're not *your* opinions doesn't mean they're wrong, and the sooner we realize that, the sooner we can stop backtracking ourselves as a society with concepts like political correction.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger,
who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
- Albert Einstein
Quote by captaincrunk
You have quote problems. Also it sucks.

I misused quotes a lot I know, because this was written for me to speak it...
It is not the greatest paper, and I know that, I spent all of 15 minutes on it.
I posted it because I thought it could be bashed about, and because it might entertain a few people... and also, because well, this is the pit.
Quote by Nate.K
I misused quotes a lot I know, because this was written for me to speak it...
It is not the greatest paper, and I know that, I spent all of 15 minutes on it.
I posted it because I thought it could be bashed about, and because it might entertain a few people... and also, because well, this is the pit.

Random section =/= speeches so poor it's near to mad libs.
I actually agree. I'll call black people African-American when they call me English-American...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by captaincrunk
Random section =/= speeches so poor it's near to mad libs.

I am the oldest in the class, the teacher has no standards, and everybody laughed the whole time while I read it. Nobody else had done their homework

That^ = win
Quote by Nate.K
I am the oldest in the class, the teacher has no standards, and everybody laughed the whole time while I read it. Nobody else had done their homework

Yeah, but no one else cares... I don't value your writing based on how much everyone else sucks.
How can it not be offensive to go up to someone and insult their appearance and lifestyle? They're just as human as you.

Hispanic =/= Mexican, it's more as a catch-all term for Latin America and stuff. I'm sure I'd be offended if I was Puerto Rican and you called me a filthy Mexican.

I've never heard 'alternative lifestyle' used seriously. Ever.

I'm pretty sure Politically Correct Bedtime Stories is a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing.

And go up to a black person and call them a Negro, see what happens to you.
i want to know how you can make it an offense to offend someone.

being offended is subjective.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i want to know how you can make it an offense to offend someone.

being offended is subjective.

Yeah, such as if someone called me a cracker-ass pasty mother f*cker, I wouldn't care. I don't get offended easily. Other people may find that extremely offensive. You can't decide what is offensive and what isn't. People react differently to different things.
I'm offended that you choose such a broad, over-done topic. Wouldn't any debate teacher fail you instantly just for your really really poor topic choice there? Anything you can possibly come up with on political correctness has already been covered about 10,000 times before by people who invested a lot more time into the subject.

I'm really not trolling here either. That's just a terrible terrible topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGJpISVERg
This seems approprieate for the topic at hand
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by Nate.K
I had to overview a problem for my very easy debate class. I thought it might offend a lot of people here in The Pit so I'm opening it up to you guys.

Please do not copy it, as it is my original work.
This represents like 5 minutes of research and is for humor as much as it is seroius, so please don't take it like I am some hardball conservative freak.

The problem: Political correctness or PC as it’s commonly referred as.
I can understand that people can sometimes be offended. For instance, if I were to walk up to a very obese lady in McDonalds and say “You lazy fat witch, get a life outside of this oversized grease barn”, I would be offensive and rude, and should apologize. The problem lies in when things become no longer okay to say and are deemed “offensive.” When I am no longer allowed to say “Merry Christmas” in a country in which 70% of the population claim to be Christians, there is a problem. Apart from this there are many other vocabulary changes that, according to PC must be made. These include replacing “ black or negro” with “African American”, “Hispanic, for “Mexican”, “intoxicated or alcoholic” instead of “drunk” and alternative lifestyle” instead of “gay” Entering the minds of children are stories from a book called “Politically Correct Bedtime Stories.

I find it offensive if someone tells me I have an 'alternative lifestyle'. Gay describes a small part of me, it doesn't define my entire lifestyle thankyouverymuch.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I'm offended that you choose such a broad, over-done topic. Wouldn't any debate teacher fail you instantly just for your really really poor topic choice there? Anything you can possibly come up with on political correctness has already been covered about 10,000 times before by people who invested a lot more time into the subject.

I'm really not trolling here either. That's just a terrible terrible topic.

No it would be a good topic if he knew how to debate.
Quote by captaincrunk
No it would be a good topic if he knew how to debate.

Oh come on, it's practically as pointless as debating abortion or the death penalty. There is zero discourse that can actually take place at this point and zero original material to introduce. That's especially true in a high school or undergraduate college class.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Oh come on, it's practically as pointless as debating abortion or the death penalty. There is zero discourse that can actually take place at this point and zero original material to introduce. That's especially true in a high school or undergraduate college class.

Debate isn't about convincing people, or about being original. It's about style, and even more so about countering argument.
Quote by captaincrunk
Debate isn't about convincing people, or about being original. It's about style, and even more so about countering argument.

You're right and I understand, but the other side is going to be able to beautifully counter every point you make on a topic like this without a blink because every possible argument involved is either already done to death (hence they know it, anticipate it, and are fully prepared with a counter point) or so ridiculous that it won't hold up (and they can just attack your rhetorical weakness).

I'm not a debater and don't pretend to be good at it, but I sure know enough about rhetoric that I can see how tired topics play out, especially in a classroom environment.