sorry - this forum seems packed full of nooby bass amp questions...

here goes.

im looking for a gigging amp - probably 300w+, that is versatile so i can get a stereotypical bass tone, as well as a more clunky metal/core tone like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVE4j-Or6Z8
you can hear the bass best at 1:25, (and no i don't really like the song, its just a good example)
what amp is that?
is it any good, as far as you guys know?
&what amps are there that can achieve that tone?

nothing too much more than £400, but i obviously appreciate that you get what you pay for.

cheers
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
oh, and ideally i'd like a head and a 4x10, not a combo. any advice you guys have would be great : )
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Ashdown are pretty good and cheap. I would go secondhand, power is so much cheaper that way. I got a 1000w head for £225 secondhand.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Dec 10, 2009,
i'd look at some GK models. they'll give you that kinda sound, and a lot of em won't break the bank. plus you dont have to worry about the hassle of tubes.

I wouldn't underestimate combos. they don't look as badass, but if you're looking for a gigging amp they're much more portable... and they can get loud as s*** if you get a nice one.
http://uk.line6.com/lowdown/

they have some fairly priced heads, cabs, and combos, with plenty of effects, and with larger models you can add a footswitch for a couple more notes. my bassist in the band im in is getting the LD150, as the band thinks it would do well enough, because were not touring or anything, and his bass amp is just small. hope this gives you a bit more thought on it
Quote by Glenn Guitar
http://uk.line6.com/lowdown/

they have some fairly priced heads, cabs, and combos, with plenty of effects, and with larger models you can add a footswitch for a couple more notes. my bassist in the band im in is getting the LD150, as the band thinks it would do well enough, because were not touring or anything, and his bass amp is just small. hope this gives you a bit more thought on it

Bleh, tried one of the larger combos last week and was not at all impressed. The range of usable gain on most of the amp models was very narrow, compressor did not work properly and most of the effects were terrible (didn't mind the octave though). The synth mode was, sadly, completely unusable.

Based on that experience I wouldn't recommend the combos at least to anyone.
That guys using a svt pro 3 and 8x10 ampeg.
I play in a metal/deathcore band, and I really prefer a cleaner tone.
I play a Peavey 115. 300w through a 15" with a 2x10.

So if I were you, I would concentrate on getting as much wattage as you can.

Check out BK 600, Acoustic 450, Hartke 5500/LH 500
Or Ashdown
svt pro 3

well i'd love one, but i simply can't afford it.

combos - i dont think they look particularly un-badass, haha, but if i get a head+410 i could upgrade the cab.

i was looking at an Ashdown MAG300. what are your thoughts on this amp, and the 410T cab that it goes along with? they seem to be going pretty cheap on ebay.

thanks guys
Last edited by Jake the Peg at Dec 11, 2009,
That sounds like a pretty classic overdriven SVT sound to me. I don't know if Ashdown is really what you're aiming for though, from my understanding they go more for the vintage fat sound. Not that it really matters, stick this guy in front of pretty much any amp and it'll get you close to the SVT sound.
well i've got a ODB3 that i use at the moment through a PA, it gets a kinda growly sound. I can use that for now and when i have the funds i'll probably look to get an actual SVT.

thanks for your advise guys