I know it's so easy to say 'No, branding doesn't matter to me at all', but think about it, honestly, if you had the choice between an ESP and *insert random local brand* here, but they both had exactly the same specs, and they both looked similar, would you be more likely to choose ESP?

Just out of curiosity
Unless there was a price difference, I would probaly get the ESP.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
No, I'd get the one that felt the best.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I'd get the one that wouldn't make me feel stupid for spending hundreds extra for a logo on the headstock.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
No, I'd get the one that felt the best.

this. at first i was a Gibson fanboy. sure they make good guitars but all in all Im a big believer in that if a guitar FEELS good to you, then its the right guitar.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
id get the esp since its a brand name and i know i can trust it. but if its an acoustic epiphone vs a random brand. id take the the random brand.
but if you are looking at guitars, and your choice is between a gibson and an agile,which look exactly the same, from what ive heard play similar, but the agile is less than half the price. would that gibson logo on the headstock make you have to purchase that guitar?
I bought a b-52 amp back when they had first came out. I know its not guitars, but same idea. I had never heard of b-52 and couldnt find anybody else that had either. I bought it because I preferred it to most of the more "well known" amp companies like Marshall and Peavey. I didnt mind though. It sounded amazing so I didnt care. I've never really had an off brand guitar though. I've been through squier, Fender and Ibanez. Pretty popular brands I think. But I suppose if it looked cool enough and played well enough, and sounded good enough, I'd get one.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
i kinda like known brands in the fact its really easy to find reviews, and resell it when/if the time comes.

if theres no price difference and same specs, of course ill go with the name brand, but i dont shop for the name brands specifically.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
which ever one felt better around the neck/looked cooler man. i dont really care about brands

PSN: reldask
I like Cort guitars which aren't as well known as other brands, but they're very similar to Ibanez, my KX5 feels better than most £500 or less ibanez's i've played.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I would take ESP because it would hold higher resell value if I ever get tired of it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I put feel way far ahead of branding, as far as that goes I will take the better feeling guitar 10/10 times.
Brand does matter. Usually better quality at a lower price. Bigger companies get better rates on the material they buy so they can make a better quality guitar without having to charge an arm and a leg.

Reputation is key in any business, so good name & rep = good product.

Plus, like someone else said...re-sale value. Brand names sell and hold value much better than some no name company.

Specs may be same on paper, but its build quality you have to worry about.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
This is why Gibsons are so expensive. IMO when you buy a Gibson, you pay mostly for the name. At least thats what I think. I've played just about every guitar on the market and I saw nothing special about Gibson (for the price at least). Don't get me wrong, Gibsons are amazing guitars, but for the price ehhhhhh... I'd rather get an Agile. Getting a little off topic here.

Well back on topic... It all depends on the brand name. Like if you had a Fender Strat, and a noname Strat, If they had the same specs, felt and sounded EXACTLY the same, I would dish out the couple extra bucks for the Fender.
BUT....
If it was like an Epiphone Les Paul and a no name LP, I'd take the no name LP.
Certain brands you can just trust.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Branding is important to me. It's what tells me which kind of guitar I'm buying.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Branding to me is important to me aswell. when someone really arogant comes along and says ive got an expensive gibson guitar. I dont want to say ive got a glksdjlsdkj guitar.
GEAR
Schecter demon
Line 6 spider 3,75 watts
Line 6 UX2
Alvarez ad60sc
Fender Squire. Strat Acoustic
Fender standard Stratocaster
SOFTWARE
Logic Studio
Pod Farm 2
You could ask the same question about a car. To some people, what make of car they driver is important, other just don't seem to give a shit!
I'd get the no name, because it's most likely a smaller company, which I prefer, as opposed to giant companies like ESP and Ibanez.
if they were of the same quality id get the no brand one,
if it feels and sounds good i care, i dont give a shit what it says on the headstock
Quote by bderlan
but if you are looking at guitars, and your choice is between a gibson and an agile,which look exactly the same, from what ive heard play similar, but the agile is less than half the price. would that gibson logo on the headstock make you have to purchase that guitar?

Hell, id get the Agile. Agiles are great for the price. Also, when people say the guitar sucks because nobodies heard of it and its really cheap, you can make them feel stupid
Branding is pretty important to me as well, although it has to be something I care about. I would never spend $400 on designer sunglasses for example, but all thing being equal in a guitar would I spend an extra 20% to have Ibanez on there as opposed to ABC? You bet... A lot of it as stated has to do with the fact you'll get that back and more if you ever want to re-sell.
Quote by malmsteensolo
id get the esp since its a brand name and i know i can trust it. but if its an acoustic epiphone vs a random brand. id take the the random brand.

Quote by hminh87
I would take ESP because it would hold higher resell value if I ever get tired of it.

Depends I've seen plenty of used (mint condition) ESP SS (genuine articles) go for about the same price as what shops are asking for a Ibanez S470 or similar model. It's really hard to sell a proper ESP SS used mainly with the rise in popularity of Edwards guitars I've seen Eclipses struggle to sell for $1200aud which to you americans or europeans may not seem like much but when the retail of the models is about 3 fold and the usual selling pricing is 2 fold and a bit it's a bit hard to comprehend how you halve the value of the cost of your guitar within a year of ownership.

Quote by Ampx612
I know it's so easy to say 'No, branding doesn't matter to me at all', but think about it, honestly, if you had the choice between an ESP and *insert random local brand* here, but they both had exactly the same specs, and they both looked similar, would you be more likely to choose ESP?

Just out of curiosity

This is a good question, and now replace the *insert random local brand* with say a popular luthier like I don't know maybe Ormsby how do the answers differ. Of course everyone will know who Ormsby is but lets go back a few years when he wasn't really known on UG and would just seem like your average luthier living in the middle of no where.
Well it's a question of whether I want to support local luthiers or not...if they're the same price, have a similar look and feel, I reckon I'd go for the ESP unless the local luthier is reputable for his work, in which case I'd go for the one with the obscure brand name.