I am in the process of building a project strat. I see this project as a forever on going process changing and upgrading parts. Recently I played a road worn strat and feel in love with the neck, mainly the fretboad itself. Therefore I am considering buying an unfinished neck, from allparts, for my strat. I keep reading places that unfinished necks will have issues, it simply appears to be a matter of time.

A friend of mine offered to do a gun oil finish on the back of the neck, would this increase the life of an unfinished neck?

Any other thoughts or notes on unfinished necks would be useful as well.

Thanks,
Anthony
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
I used tung oil on a maple neck/fretboard. Came out real nice. Some were saying on a fretboard it wouldnt work but havent had any issues yet.
It will work, but it will need to re oiled every couple years. Obviously not as protective as lacquer either.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^that's true. Not too much of a problem, though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yep sorry guys its Tung oil that he will be using.

Ordered the neck up today. Hope to have it on my guitar sometime early next year.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
I used some of that Tru Oil for gun stocks, and it feels like butter, I love it, way better feeling than lacquer imo... as it has been said though its not as tough as lacquer.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust