Either Stratocaster or Les Paul.
Either one of those guitars are amazing (obviously), although I find it easier to do bends on the strat.
I also like to use my SG, but that's mainly for rhythms and stuff.
You must tell me other things first. By the way, your question is stupid.
Personally, i'd go with some kind of semi-hollow guitar (a PRS, maybe).
If i was going towards a solid body, i'd get a Fender Stratocaster or a PRS (either a Custom 22 or a Singlecut).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Depends, as blues is a pretty wide genre with lots of different styles and sounds. But, for dirty, tough guitar blues like SRV, Rory Gallagher, I'd recommend Stratocasters and Telecasters. I just think you can't beat a singlecoil sound when playing that kind of stuff
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by lmihay
You must tell me other things first. By the way, your question is stupid.

+1

To be fair, here's a list of the most common:

Fender:
Strat
Tele

Gibson;
LP
ES
SG
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
There's no "best" for blues, as with all things it's more of a case of what suits the sound you're going for.

Most common choices are usually Stratocasters, Telecasters, ES335s (and similar variants), Les Pauls, etc. Albert King used a Flying V, there's photos of Hendrix with a Fender Jaguar, and i'm sure there's wierder choices. There isn't really a definitive blues guitar.
Jackson produce some really good blues guitars.....

...seriously, thos EMG's! damn!

In all fairness, MOST blues players i know of either play a Stratocaster, Les Paul, Both, or some form of home-made guitar ala Bo Diddley.

However, i have seen some more metal oriented guitars such as ESP/Ibanez handle blues, but thats probably more to do with the individual player, and not so much the guitar.

An example would be Paul Gilbert collaborative album with Jimi Kidd, both playing "blues guitar" but Paul plays a custom Ibanez pretty much built for anything. The guitar sounds good for blues, but holds a distinctive tone more associated with cleanly played metal.

I digress, Start or LP are most commonly used
Personally, I prefer an SG or a hollowbody of some sort, but like they said above, it's all really dependent on your tastes.
Goldtop Les Paul with P90s, is as close to "Best" as you get.
You can get very nice single coil-like cleans, and still have enough power to do the more overdriven sounds easily.
all sorts of guitars. Blues isn't a tone. It's a broad playing style. If you want to sound like Hendrix, SRV etc, get a strat. If you want to sound like Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa etc, get a Les Paul. If you're shit, you still won't sound anything like either.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Easy answer. Johnson Bottle Slide Triolian. You'll be back in the delta and singing the blues the moment you pick it up. If you can't wring the blues out of this baby you're hopeless.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Vintage V100 Icon series Lemon Drop.
Failing that, any old LP Goldtop and put Irongear Platinum 90 pups in place of regular P90s. That's one I'm going to do eventually
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Isnt this kind of a Vs. thread but in a more open scale?

Oh well, Starts and Pauls all the way
if you want a mellow or dark sound you usually choose a guitar made from mahogany
if you want a bright poppy sound you choose a guitar made from alder or ash
even after all that you decide if you want Humbuckers, Single Coils, or P90s... there are so many things that effect your tone it's crazy.

that's the way i narrow down guitar choices... what sound are you going for? SRV used a strat. T-Bone Walker used a hollow body. BB King uses his "Lucille" (similar to an ES-355 I believe) but really it's all about what sound you want
Last edited by ghiyath at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by ghiyath
if you want a mellow or dark sound you usually choose a guitar made from mahogany
if you want a bright poppy sound you choose a guitar made from alder or ash
even after all that you decide if you want Humbuckers, Single Coils, or P90s... there are so many things that effect your tone it's crazy.

that's the way i narrow down guitar choices... what sound are you going for? SRV used a strat. T-Bone Walker used a hollow body. BB King uses his "Lucille" (similar to an ES-355 I believe) but really it's all about what sound you want

Lucille is an ES-335, it's just painted in an ebony finish and lacks the f-holes. not to mention it has his own hardware modifications.
The one you play blues on.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I'd say Strat or Gibson for the overall sound. But blues is mainly playing style and how you play. Its in your fingers most importantly. Play from the heart and you will be good.
Good god son,you've opened up a can of worms here.
I find the neck pick up on my Iommi SG is amazing for blues.The best blues tone I have got went:
Iommi SG neck pick up
Boss overdrive something,with the gain kept low
Cheapo reverb pedal (if my amp had reverb I would use that)
Into my Laney AOR 50,with the volume fairly well cranked.
But for someone else it could be completely different.
I also strung up my SG with 12's,because it gives bends more 'feel' as you have to work harder.Also gives a cleaner sound.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.