I've cut a couple nuts with regular files and they came out alright but it's time consuming and frustrating. I want to get a set of real nut files but of course I want to spend as little as possible to get some decent tools. They won't be seeing a lot of use, at the moment I just want to make a new nut for one guitar, I'll probably do 2 or 3 more in the next year.

I looked on ebay and found the "Norman Guitar Nut File System" and it's the cheapest set I've seen, but it also looks like someone just cut some slots in a gap gauge. Is that the case? If so I'll just do that myself and save $40...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Norman-Guitar-Nut-File-System-String-Slot-Template_W0QQitemZ290379655002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item439bf9e75a
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
I've cut a couple nuts with regular files and they came out alright but it's time consuming and frustrating. I want to get a set of real nut files but of course I want to spend as little as possible to get some decent tools. They won't be seeing a lot of use, at the moment I just want to make a new nut for one guitar, I'll probably do 2 or 3 more in the next year.

I looked on ebay and found the "Norman Guitar Nut File System" and it's the cheapest set I've seen, but it also looks like someone just cut some slots in a gap gauge. Is that the case? If so I'll just do that myself and save $40...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Norman-Guitar-Nut-File-System-String-Slot-Template_W0QQitemZ290379655002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item439bf9e75a

You can use a set of feeler gauges, as they have sizes marked on them already, but...the Norman ones do seem to be very good and cheap to boot. I would probably go for the normans.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!