Hey everyone,
I just bought a 7 string....I play in a band where currently i use a 6 string tuned to Drop B (C# standard with bottom string dropped to B).
I would like to use my new 7 string in my band, however, i dont want to tune the 7 string the to the normal 7 string tuning BEADGBE...I dont want to have to transcribe all the riffs into this different tuning...
Any ideas of how i could tune the 7 string so that it would work with the other guitarist who is still playing a 6 string in Drop B???

Thanks

P.S. I dont want to use the normal seven string tuning and have to deal with having to transcribe everything the other guitarist plays into the standard 7 string tuning
You could either transcribe all the riffs into Drop A, or you could tune up your other strings to C# standard pitch, or you could detune to Drop A and use a capo on the second fret
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Tune the seven string to standard tuning but drop the B to A, or leave the low B as is and try to tune everything else a step above standard. Use lighter strings and you may have to set up your guitar for it, but it works. I've done it before.
Drop to A and a capo.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
all of the above are great alternates. personally, i'd just tune up all the strings besides th low B up a step.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Play in standard while the other guitarist is in drop, have fun playing a couple more tones than him =]
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
get dean markley blue steels 09-56, its what im using, and i can tune my guitar up to drop b, just tune all youre eadgbe to f#-B-E-G#-C#-F#. it sounds nice on solos too! if you want a good band who use drop b and seven strings, i suggest all shall perish. also with these strings ive been able to tune them to tunings like C Standard etc, but i havent tried drop c or C# tunings yet. hope i helped!
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Drop to A and a capo.

This is your best bet. Unless you tell your other guitarists to tune down.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Start with standard 7 string BEADGbe, compare to drop B on a 6 B F# B E G# C#

So keep the low B the same, raise the rest of the strings up a full step. Keep in mind, that you'll have a bit of difference because the 2nd and 3rd string are only 4 frets off instead of 5, giving you B F# B E A C# F#. However, you can make that difference between 3rd and 4th string instead, and get B F# B E G# C# F#.

Normally we think of the 7th string as being an extra lower string, but this tuning essentially is giving you an extra high string, since your bottom 6 are the same as drop B.

To do it another way, keep drop B tuning on the top 6, and use your lowest string to be F# or G#. Super low and brutal. Dont quote me on this, but I think Meshuggah may use that tuning.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by randomhero93
all of the above are great alternates. personally, i'd just tune up all the strings besides th low B up a step.

I included that in my post

Quote by Glenn Guitar
get dean markley blue steels 09-56, its what im using, and i can tune my guitar up to drop b, just tune all youre eadgbe to f#-B-E-G#-C#-F#. it sounds nice on solos too! if you want a good band who use drop b and seven strings, i suggest all shall perish. also with these strings ive been able to tune them to tunings like C Standard etc, but i havent tried drop c or C# tunings yet. hope i helped!

Alas! I'm not alone in the world

Also, as far as suggesting bands goes, Therion is definitely one to check out
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I included that in my post

I know you did, Vic, just sayin what I personally would do. lol
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
I know you did, Vic, just sayin what I personally would do. lol

NOBODY ASKED YOU

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']NOBODY ASKED YOU

sad stack...

actually TS asked this whole forum
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93

sad stack...

actually TS asked this whole forum

I'm glad you got my point there.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I'm glad you got my point there.
ha, yeah. lol
Quote by pedromiles101
Honestly... I'd just transcribe the riffs. You'll be a better musician for it. You will better learn how to play in a different tuning than your bandmate. Bipolar used to do this. Mark(lead guitarist) played in Drop B, and David(rhythm) played in standard.
Quote by eXperiment63
Honestly... I'd just transcribe the riffs. You'll be a better musician for it. You will better learn how to play in a different tuning than your bandmate. Bipolar used to do this. Mark(lead guitarist) played in Drop B, and David(rhythm) played in standard.

I know I could just transcribe the songs to standard 7 string tuning..however alot of what we do is jamming and just improvising on the fly often times using many different modes and such...If i see the other guitar player playing B phrygian i dont want to have to transcribe that to my tuning in my head 3 seconds before i have a solo ..it just wont be very handy...
But i think ill go with for now keeping the top six strings in drop B and then the heaviest string a G# or maybe even F# (time for bass strings)
Any other suggestions?