Hey, so I just bought a bandmaster 1960s off of ebay and it arrived today. I unpacked it from the box, plugged it into the wall, but not a speaker, and flipped it on. It lit up. That's a good sign. I turned it off at the back, lifted it up onto my cabinet, plugged a speaker cable into the back of it and turned it back on. This time when I turned it back on, it didn't light up. I unplugged the speakers and moved the amp back to the ground where I could study it but I can't figure out why it isn't turning on anymore. I've tried just turning it onto standby and that doesn't seem to do anything either. Help is GREATLY appreciated.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps
Peavey 6505+ with Marshall 1960B
Crate Powerblock with CRT412

Visit my blog at My Blog
Check the fuse, but you really need to have a tech take a look at the amp. It's a safety issue with an amp that old.

It's quite possible you destroyed the amp by turning it on without a cab connected.
How do I check the fuse? Pardon my ignorance.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
Just take it to a tech. It needs the work anyway, they can check the fuse for you.

Tell them you need new filter caps and a grounded power cord and the death cap removed. If there's anything else wrong with the amp they'll catch it when that's being done.
Quote by Roc8995
Check the fuse, but you really need to have a tech take a look at the amp. It's a safety issue with an amp that old.

Really, you shouldn't go poking around it. Take it to a tech asap.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by Roc8995
Just take it to a tech. It needs the work anyway, they can check the fuse for you.

Tell them you need new filter caps and a grounded power cord and the death cap removed. If there's anything else wrong with the amp they'll catch it when that's being done.

Listen to him... I blew smoke out the back of an old Bassman because I didn't. It ended up going to the tech, but for significantly more than if I had done that first.

Edit: A dead give-away that I should have never powered up my amp without taking it to a tech; it blew a fuse when I first powered it up... Sound familiar?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 10, 2009,
OK well I just popped the fuse out and it is indeed blown. I must have surged the power when I plugged it into my power strip. DOH! All of the tubes are new in the amp so I know that it can't be that.

And how much can I expect to pay for a tech to look at it?
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
Quote by hehepupitre
OK well I just popped the fuse out and it is indeed blown. I must have surged the power when I plugged it into my power strip. DOH! All of the tubes are new in the amp so I know that it can't be that.

Read my edit above... Fuses blow for a reason, replacing a fuse without addressing the problem is asking to blow it up, learn from my mistake.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Alrighty, I'll try and take it to a tech later on this afternoon. Any idea what could have caused it so suddenly? My guess is that I was drawing too much current through a particular outlet and adding the amp to the line caused a power surge and blew the fuse.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
My guess is your filter caps were bad, which would cause a bad humming or popping if you had a cab connected when turning it on initially, but instead blasted your output transformer into next week since you didn't.
Quote by hehepupitre
Alrighty, I'll try and take it to a tech later on this afternoon. Any idea what could have caused it so suddenly? My guess is that I was drawing too much current through a particular outlet and adding the amp to the line caused a power surge and blew the fuse.

That would blow the fuse in your wall, not the amp. With my amp it was a series of things; poor connections due to old solder joints, improper installation of the 3 prong ground plug, various half assed modifications done over the years, and a tube shorting out.

The point is, over the past 40-50 years who knows what has been done to that amp and by who? For all you know some 15 year old used it as a science project 20 years ago and converted it into a toaster. Until you have it looked at you will never know, and it really is a fire hazard.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well I tried a preliminary fix just to see if it was a bad fuse. I replaced the fuse with an identical, working one, powered the amp up and she sounded beautiful (as expected). As I was playing, I started hearing popping noises coming from the cabinet that sounded like a bad jack cable. I switched jack cables and went to turn the amp back on and again, it won't turn on. Only this time, the fuse isn't blown (at least not visibly). Seems like a guitar tech is the way to go.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog

A guitar tech was the way to go before you turned a very old, questionably stable amp on in the first place.

You're looking at a very, very expensive repair bill if your idiocy caused a blown transformer. I don't know how else to say this - you are a complete moron. You've damaged this amp, possibly seriously, for no reason.
Definitely a dumbass move.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Usually I would, but I told him to take it to a tech and he tried to turn it on again. Even if it didn't blow anything up, the amp is dangerous to the operator until it's been looked over.

He risked turning a routine maintenance job into an expensive repair job, and put himself in physical danger when I was very clear about taking it to a tech. The outcome of his actions are irrelevant - I don't care if it just blew the fuse again, that was a really stupid and reckless thing to do.
Quote by Roc8995
Usually I would, but I told him to take it to a tech and he tried to turn it on again. Even if it didn't blow anything up, the amp is dangerous to the operator until it's been looked over.

He risked turning a routine maintenance job into an expensive repair job, and put himself in physical danger when I was very clear about taking it to a tech. The outcome of his actions are irrelevant - I don't care if it just blew the fuse again, that was a really stupid and reckless thing to do.

+1

The TS didn't listen to the advice of a moderator, who happens to be an amp tech, along with the advice of several others who had been in a similar situation. I'm wondering why he even created a thread if he was going to be 'Mr Fix It' and do his thing anyway. Idiot.

The user deserves whatever is coming
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The user deserves whatever is coming

If my experience is any indication he can expect a $400+ tech bill... And that is if he's lucky enough not to have fried the transformer, if he did then were probably talking over $500... Which is likely more than he paid in the first place. Man I'd hate to see this BM end up in the can, but it may be a likely outcome here unless the TS has unlimited funds.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
for the sake of hating to see a fellow musician lose his/her main amp, i hope it stays within budget to fix. but you did ask for it by assuming it was just a faulty fuse in a half century old amp...

it's almost like your scenario came out of a comedy movie or something...only no one's really laughing at this point...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
for the sake of hating to see a fellow musician lose his/her main amp, i hope it stays within budget to fix. but you did ask for it by assuming it was just a faulty fuse in a half century old amp...

it's almost like your scenario came out of a comedy movie or something...only no one's really laughing at this point...

No, but the price of a BF Bandmaster may have just gone up a bit.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
no kidding...

TS...what were you thinking? I mean, is this the first time you've used an amp head? you ordered a nice amp off eBay...and the first thing you do when it arrives is plug it in without a cab connected? this is day one stuff bro!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out