Hi All..

Just got a Marshall TSL100 head the other day.... And Im thinking about getting the tubes replaced with better ones...

I want higher gain (more distortion) so what tubes should I be looking at?

Cheers
Tubes really aren't the answer to this problem. You might be able to squeeze a little bit more out, but really you should be looking for an Overdrive pedal, boost pedal or a different amp.

The more distortion a tube will give your amp, the weaker the tube is. You'll get less headroom and less volume from your amp and in most cases you will need to replace your tubes earlier.

I'll just quote the guy that works at my local guitar store.. "There once was a time when “tubes were tubes”. When the early Fenders, Marshalls and other amps were produced, the manufacturers stuck in a set of tubes, biased the amp, and shipped them out. Then, more recently, some smart techs figured out that if you used tubes that were closely matched to each other in their specs, you could squeeze a little more power and tone out of the amp. That is a GOOD thing. Then it got out of hand. Companies started rating matched sets from 1-10 or with color codes. Low numbers were “easily distorted at low volume” and high numbers were “cleaner”. But “cleaner” also means more volume, headroom and power at high volume, while the “easily distorting” tubes tend to wimp out if ever need to play louder than you bought them for plus, in most cases, they will need replacing sooner. These companies make a lot of money selling rated tubes to “fit your needs." The fact is, tubes that distort too easily are not made as perfectly as the tubes of the same brand that don't. The workers that make power tubes in the factories in Russia and ex-Soviet countries do not make them to “distort earlier” or “distort later.” In fact there probably isn’t a guitar player among them! In my humble opinion, you should look for the highest specs and highest “rating” when buying power tubes."
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Hmm ok

Im just wondering... Cause my mate had one of these heads (TSL100) awhile ago.... And when I played it back then it had a lot more distortion...

With the one I picked up on the weekend. I cant seem to get that nice heavy distortion that I could on my mates TSL100.... Im using the same guitar and everything that I use to (ESP with EMG81's in 18v mod) but my old AVT100 sounds heavier than my TSL100, and thats hald solid state....

I am looking at distortion pedals, but thought that this amp should do fine by itself.

Thanks
Try a full retube. Winged C SED EL34's biased properly, some JJ's in the preamp and some hotter pickups.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Sampson Era Bad Cat Black Cat 30R
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Korg Pitchblack
Like I said I have EMG81's in 18v mod.... Im pretty sure thats about as "hot" as they get lol.
Haha. Missed that part.

Give it a full retube though...make sure its biased properly.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Sampson Era Bad Cat Black Cat 30R
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Korg Pitchblack
I have Electro Harmonix El-34 and Tung-sol 12ax7s in mine and I love it. Its pretty bright, but thats what I wanted. Probably a high gain JJ set will do you great
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
ya somethings up with your head, a TSL has a ton of gain, bring it to a shop and have them look it over and get new tubes. that amp with full gain should rip your face off. and with an 81, you shouldn`t need any pedals at all for gain
Yeah thats what Im thinking, But I brought it second hand....

Another thing... How loud do you have to crank it to get the good distortion, cause that maybe one of the reasons... Causes usually my wife throws a fit when I get it above like 3 (Cause its such a damn loud amp lol)
just throwing it out there, but I think the type/size/number of the speakers might affect break up, and definitely tone.
Quote by Stildawn
Yeah thats what Im thinking, But I brought it second hand....

Another thing... How loud do you have to crank it to get the good distortion, cause that maybe one of the reasons... Causes usually my wife throws a fit when I get it above like 3 (Cause its such a damn loud amp lol)

of course it sounds best when it gets to 4 +. But I get great bedroom volume sounds as well
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
tubes ARE the answer to this problem.

I changed from stock to a full JJ set and the difference was HUGE.

a TSL easily has enough gain then i'd ever want, and my gain is at 4 on the lead channel(only channel i use) and my tubes are old as now.
Running a boost infront does help alot.

I run my amp at maybe 2(with VPR on if im practicing) or around 3 - 4 without VPR on for band practice and it plenty enough gain.

Pick up a nice boost(i recommend a TS-7 and modding it to 808 cause its cheap) and an eq and i think you would be able to achieve nearly anything with your amp.
Cool

Thanks for the advice guys... yeah I asked for a quote for the local Rock Shop yesterday for a service/look over and new tubes...

So what tubes should I ask for when they get back to me? I dont know anything about tubes lol.

a JJ set ive seen above?

Also may as well as this in here... lol could all of you that own/have experience with the TSL100 could you list your favourite settings lol just to help me better get use to the amp....

Cheers
I had a TSL60...gain for days. I'll try to dig up my fave lead channel setting...here it is:

Try this on your lead channel:
-Bass - 6
-Middle - 7
-Treble - 5
-Presence - 6
-Gain - 6
-Channel Volume - 8
-Master Volume - 4-6 (I know it's effing loud, but this amp really needs A LOT of volume)
-Deep - off

I liked it best when I had the master up around 5 with the channel volumes turned way up.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Dec 13, 2009,
Hmm I dont think the TSL has a master volume... Just a channel volume for each (Clean, Crunch, Lead)

Was that with tone shift on?
weird...i had never looked at the front panel of a TSL100...I know the TSL60 head has a master volume...tone shift off, btw
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Yeah I just looked at a TSL60 online lol... yeah the TSL60 doesnt have a clean volume... Where as the TSL100 does... Maybe thats it... Anyway Ill experiement with what you posted anyway cheers...

Any others?
Tung-Sol 12AX7 valves are really good, so are the Mullard reissues. JJ-Teslas sound good but do tend to be a bit microphonic compared to others. You could do a lot worse than Electro-Hamonix too. If I was to choose one it would have to be the Tung-Sols. (Although I am yet to try the new Shuguangs, the Shuguang EL34 valves sound great in my JCM900 so I'm keen to see what their 12AX7s are like in that too)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ahh ok... Keep the ideas coming guys and Ill talk them over with the Amp tech dude.