I need some help, I'm planning on buying my first 5 string bass, I play Metal, mostly Thrash but also some new stuff like System of a Down and Mastodon. So could you guys please tell me which are the best 5 string basses out there for playing that kind of music? Also a list of good AND affordable 5 Strings (for this kind of music also) would be awesome...

Thanks in advance guys!
Spector would be my first suggestion. What's your price range?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I never understood why people think there are certain types of bass for each genre...it makes no sense to me.

Any brand of bass is good for metal, blues, jazz, country, etc., it all depends on how you wield your new-found axe.
Quote by goest
I never understood why people think there are certain types of bass for each genre...it makes no sense to me.

Any brand of bass is good for metal, blues, jazz, country, etc., it all depends on how you wield your new-found axe.

That is true, but some basses are more suited towards certain genres than others.

I'm not sure what that would be in British money, but I think you'd be able to get a used Spector Legend for that sort of money.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
That is true, but some basses are more suited towards certain genres than others.

I'm not sure what that would be in British money, but I think you'd be able to get a used Spector Legend for that sort of money.

Yeah, but that has more to do with the woods, electronics, even strings. (Although I'm probably preaching to the choir, there)

Example: Troy Sanders (of Mastodon) uses Fender basses (and the occasional Godlyke) and his tone is beefy as hell.
Quote by goest
Yeah, but that has more to do with the woods, electronics, even strings. (Although I'm probably preaching to the choir, there)

Example: Troy Sanders (of Mastodon) uses Fender basses (and the occasional Godlyke) and his tone is beefy as hell.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but you wouldn't exactly see a gospel bassist grooving on Rick every day would you?
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but you wouldn't exactly see a gospel bassist grooving on Rick every day would you?

I would shake that man's hand if I ever did.
Agreed. Would sound weird, but I think it would look pretty cool
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by goest

I was just coming in to say that exact thing. There are loose guidlines, but all of them are broken. Don't use fretless in metal, don't use a BC rich for lounge jazz etc etc.

Most of the time people are just after the right aesthetic, and we can't blame them for that.
Quote by Casketcreep
I was just coming in to say that exact thing. There are loose guidlines, but all of them are broken. Don't use fretless in metal, don't use a BC rich for lounge jazz etc etc.

Most of the time people are just after the right aesthetic, and we can't blame them for that.

tell that to these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_9S9WH8TI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesr2siegRg

fretless in metal sounds awesome
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I would say an ESP, or Schecter. Maybe an Ibanez?

Any of those would suit you well.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Are you willing to buy used? If so, it might be a good idea to check out e-bay or craigslist and just see what's available to you. You could probably find something that would normally be $500 or more in your price range.

I'm not familiar with that particular model of Soundgear, but personally if I were buying a 5-string something I would be looking at is if it has active pick-ups or not, as I feel like passive low Bs sound a little dead.
Quote by TheTortured
tell that to these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_9S9WH8TI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesr2siegRg

fretless in metal sounds awesome

If you read it you'll see that I wasn't saying fretless isn't used. I was saying that it's a vague rule that people do break.
I shall attempt to get this thread back on the rails since everyone else is talking about their own thing.

At that price range I would suggest the Ibanez SR305, I have one and it's a decent opening into the world of 5-stringers, definately try it out.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Mmmm instead of spector im gonna say schecter. Or a used ibanez SR505.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
A used Ibanez SR series or a used Spector
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
If you're going Ibanez, make sure you try the BTB series as well as the SRs, 34" isn't for everyone when it comes to 5 strings.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright