Got the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 off of Ebay, finally got here today! My question.. so FedEx has so graciously delivered it to me on a snow day here in the frozen arctic (Northern Michigan, USA).

Unfortunately this amp is definitely not at room temperature, and I've have had to stare at it and check its vitals for core temperature for the last hour.. and the internals all feel pretty cold yet.. thinking it's probably not a good idea just to kick it into standby mode and let the tubes warmup.. .

Ah well.. I'm excited. Upgrading from a Peavey Bandit 112 Solo Series and you have no idea how tortured I feel waiting for this thing to warm up.
Had to post just to pass a little more time in this warming of amp process! The torture is so awful.
Last edited by Necrophrenic at Dec 10, 2009,
Try the tags instead of the html

HNAD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com

I hijacked this NAD... Now ship the amp to me so I can properly enjoy my NAD!

HNAD!

To me!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 10, 2009,
Haha thanks for fixing it! :P Silly me, I'll have to figure out how to do images in a message board thread so I don't look like an idiot when I post my NGD hopefully in the next 6 months
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, you are doing the right thing be letting it warm up to room temp first. Something we all need to remember as it gets colder.

Especially if you live in Minnesota *sigh*

Seriously cool amp dude, I hope you make your neighbors ears bleed
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Ok, it's been over an hour, you're safe to turn it on, just leave it on standby for a 5 minutes or so.
Play it, dammit, how do you like it?!
Haha I just got done jamming on it some. My hands are sweaty from playing.. they never sweat.. was it the excitement? I don't know.. and I play everything from Bluesy stuff, to post-rock stuff like Explosions in the Sky.. i haven't cranked it way up yet.. but I can rest assured that the cleans sound very nice for my clean post rock stuff.. and i can tell with some tweaking it will get a pretty good SRV - Lenny sound.. so i am very happy so far .
Quote by Necrophrenic
Haha I just got done jamming on it some. My hands are sweaty from playing.. they never sweat.. was it the excitement? I don't know.. and I play everything from Bluesy stuff, to post-rock stuff like Explosions in the Sky.. i haven't cranked it way up yet.. but I can rest assured that the cleans sound very nice for my clean post rock stuff.. and i can tell with some tweaking it will get a pretty good SRV - Lenny sound.. so i am very happy so far .

Haha you're like me! I play blues and post rock.
HNAD
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
sweet Tim . I just hooked up a distortion pedal and cranked out some metallica riffs with the thing set at around 5, just to see how it would handle a distortion pedal. Maybe not the best amp for metal, should I avoid playing metal on this thing.. I mean as far as its design? I don't wanna hurt my new baby is all. But the first power chord i hit with it set at about 5, was enough to shake a few things off of my shelves.. ah.. very satisfying.
oh and my main guitar is just an Ibanez 370DXL (Lefty).. I want to upgrade in the next 6-8 months.. the guitar has treated me pretty nice for a starter guitar though. I also have a Squier Strat Alpine White of my dad's.. that I play a bit.. I've strung that for a lefty afew things.. so it is almost a Hendrix guitar that way.. haha. Think my NGD will hopefully feature a les paul or SG model. I just want to get away from the Floyd Rose.. I'm not a tremolo user anyway and the lack of tuning possibilities gets me
Congrats Now put a tapered pot in it for the volume so its controllable. Some mullards in the preamp section will make the hot side a lot more pristine. And some tads 6l6wgc and you will be happening.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
*drools i love fender amps but i would definetly get a new od pedal. HNAD!
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
HNAD!

I play pretty much straight metal, but I once and a while like to indulge in the stoner rock and classic rock. So, this would be a killer amp for those two, but!!!! I used a TS-9 in front of a De ville for a while, and it was a great metal amp. You should have fun with this beast.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Yeah I'll be investing in several pedals for sure.

First and foremost is going to be replacing the tubes though. Any other input on tubes is definitely appreciated. I definitely want to preserve the Fender cleans first and foremost obviously, I haven't played with a lot of pedals so far yet but on clean settings it seems to interact well with the few not-so-great (value) pedals I've put in front of it.
That amp has earned itself an excellent rep for playing very well with any sort of pedal pushed through the front end, and I agree completely.

You won't hurt it, even with some cheezy brootz fuzz box, although you might get some nasty hum from Leo spinning in his grave...

As far as tubes go, I'd get to know her before swapping the power tubes, that'll be a tech job anyway, unless you know the ins and outs. Chances are there's life left in them anyway.

Meanwhile, go nuts with the preamp tubes; those are simply plug-and-play.
Quote by Necrophrenic
sweet Tim . I just hooked up a distortion pedal and cranked out some metallica riffs with the thing set at around 5, just to see how it would handle a distortion pedal. Maybe not the best amp for metal, should I avoid playing metal on this thing.. I mean as far as its design? I don't wanna hurt my new baby is all. But the first power chord i hit with it set at about 5, was enough to shake a few things off of my shelves.. ah.. very satisfying.

If you mean volume at 5 then it's likely, Metal gain is solely preamp distortion so if the power tubes started clipping on your amp it wouldn't sound very good.

What distortion do you have? Fenders are known for how well they take pedals but if your playing a Boss MT-2 then it still wouldn't sound very good. If you want to play some Metallica pick up a nice boutique distortion like the Wampler Triple Wreck.

Cranking your amp or putting a distortion through it isn't hurting it at all so don't get stressed over that.

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Dec 11, 2009,
Thanks for the advice Rutch, Tommy, always appreciated. I've previously been using an SS amp and have a Boss GT-5 multi effects pedal, then just some basic value Ibanez overdrive/distortion pedals. I play a lot more clean stuff than metal, willing to sacrifice quality when I do play heavier stuff for now.. Christmas season.. unfortunately can't just spend all the extra cash on myself . As for the tubes, I have bought this amp used and the tubes do definitely need to be replaced. I'll leave it to a tech if it's going to be something i shouldn't undertake myself though.
Very nice dude. Once you get some cash look into the Barber Dirty Bomb, awesome distortion pedal should get you very nicely into metallica.

HNAD!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey