this is probably gonna sound like a stupid question, but, if a guitar has passive pickups when you get it, can you install active pickups into it afterwards?
will i need to modify the guitar in any way? say cut into the body for somewhere to put batteries?
Quote by Ampx612
will i need to modify the guitar in any way? say cut into the body for somewhere to put batteries?

If you are replacing a passive humbucker with an active humbucker or a single coil with an active single coil, you shouldnt have to route anything out. Usually the battery will fit in the control cavity for the guitar. If it doesn't fit you will have to reroute or find some way to get the battery in there.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Ampx612

yes i would guess you'd have to
Sigs are for salad tossers.
cheers guys, so if im replacing 2 humbuckers and a single coil, all passive, for all actives, is it likely that there will be enough room in the control cavity for that?
you guys have forgotten to mention changing the 500K pots out for the Active friendly versions
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Quote by xDarrellx87x
you guys have forgotten to mention changing the 500K pots out for the Active friendly versions

most active sets come with these and they aren't too hard to install.

take off your pickguard and take a look to see if there is room for a 9v.

Edit: actually what guitar is it?
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Dec 10, 2009,
Quick easy way to check if you need routing. Take off your electronics cavity back plate (the one that isn't rectangular in shape) and see if you can put a 9v in there. If it fits you're good to go. The only thing that needs changing like said are the pots and the input jack and to chuck a battery in and wire it up and you will be good to go.
Quote by stephen_rettie
most active sets come with these and they aren't too hard to install.

take off your pickguard and take a look to see if there is room for a 9v.

Edit: actually what guitar is it?

correct, you still have to change em technically
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab