Page 1 of 2
So now that the year is almost over, it's time to say good bye to the 00's, and hello to the........teens? I'm not sure what to call the new decade, but, that's not what this is about.

For the past 50 to 60 years, every decade seems to have had a movement or general style found in the mainstream that defines the decade pretty quickly.

Here's what i think of when i think of the previous decades....correct me if i'm wrong.

50's - Rock n Roll. Leather Jackets.

60's - Pyscheadelic (sp?) Rock. Hippies.

70's - Hard Rock/Early Heavy Metal. (Lots of people think of 'disco' here too, of course). The hippies gained a couple levels up.

80's - Glam Rock/Metal. Some of the worst styles in human history.

90's - Grunge. Flannel and ripped jeans. Angst Ahoy!

This brings me to my current point:

How will the 00's be remembered in terms of mainstream music/fads/etc.?

And it was a good decade for music, do you think? In the mainstream, i mean, for the most part.

I personally can't quite put my finger on it. I think maybe it will be remembered for the whole 'emo' fads. With the tight pants and fringed hair, but....its tough.

And as far as a specific style of music....i don't know. It seems like this decade went all over the place with what was popular, but never found anything very good.

And last, but not least...if you hated this decade in music....is there any hope for the teen/preteen years of 2010-19? Is there a possibility of another huge scene to come out of no where, like in decades past? Or have we run out of ideas?

What do you think? I've been wondering this for years now.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Probably the indie scene, snow patrol, coldplay all that sort of stuff. and possibly the emo scene or the'x factor era' would be my guesses
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
The mainstream of the 00s was primarily emo/scene, and the many millions of '-core' fads. And in the later half it was the age of the comeback for the oldies; the classics like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Judas Priest, Kiss, AC/DC etc.
But there was no real genre specific mainstream obession, aside from the usual generic electronic pop dance stuff
I think my band, The Searchbars, is going to break into the mainstream and everyone will realize how awesome we are.
The "00" was all about pop and hip hop shit, and is this keeps up, I don't think theres any hope for the next decade, people are just going to keep listening to this shit.
I'll remember it for Mars Volta, Mastodon, Fiery Furnaces, etc.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by Adisturbedone
The "00" was all about pop and hip hop shit, and is this keeps up, I don't think theres any hope for the next decade, people are just going to keep listening to this shit.

I'm thinking you've got it hit on the head. In the 70's, you would have seen most people (whether you like them or hate them) listening to what we now call classic rock.

Nowadays, i see most people (whether i like them or hate them) listening to pop hip hop, pop in general, rap, etc.

but they still listen to a lot of the crap mainstream rock out there...so they're still hanging on by the tiniest thread.

EDIT:

Quote by soundgarden19
I'll remember it for Mars Volta, Mastodon, Fiery Furnaces, etc.

Your signature makes me extremely jealous. I won't lie.
Last edited by BassFishin at Dec 10, 2009,
Some good bands got big in the 00's.

Bands like Muse really broke out and another favorite band of mine Alter Bridge are acquiring a good fan base. I can see only good things to come from them in the next decade or the "teens" as you put it.

But yes there was a crazy assortment of things, perhaps more than in any other decade before. I'm staying positive for the few bands I like though. \m/

I too have lost faith in many people though with what they are now listening to like all this pop/rap/country stuff. It brings forth emotions that I don't need to feel.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Last edited by AlterEdge at Dec 10, 2009,
It was all pop, pop-punk, emo, really heavy metal (several genres), and of course... rap/hip hop/dance music/what the hell was that noise I just heard from that speaker!
There was lots of good indie/alternative music (like Jack White's various groups), and of course TCV (very cool), but thats about it "good"* music wise.
There did seem to be allot of people going back to the 60's and 70's to find good music though (I had to go back as far as the 30's), so thats good, but not nearly enough.

*in my opinion
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by Heylo12
It was all pop, pop-punk, emo, really heavy metal (several genres), and of course... rap/hip hop/dance music/what the hell was that noise I just heard from that speaker!
There was lots of good indie/alternative music (like Jack White's various groups), and of course TCV (very cool), but thats about it "good"* music wise.
There did seem to be allot of people going back to the 60's and 70's to find good music though (I had to go back as far as the 30's), so thats good, but not nearly enough.

*in my opinion

Yea. there definitly seemed to be some remnants of the classic rock era in the mainstream at times. There was that band The Parlor Mob, they rock pretty hard. Also, i was impressed by Cage the Elephant, even though they're pretty poppy, they have a great old school rock feel to them at times.

And TCV was pretty damn awesome. But thats' my other concern, most of my favorite music from this decade came from bands from the 90's, giving it another shot 10 years later.
Quote by BassFishin
Yea. there definitly seemed to be some remnants of the classic rock era in the mainstream at times. There was that band The Parlor Mob, they rock pretty hard. Also, i was impressed by Cage the Elephant, even though they're pretty poppy, they have a great old school rock feel to them at times.

And TCV was pretty damn awesome. But thats' my other concern, most of my favorite music from this decade came from bands from the 90's, giving it another shot 10 years later.

Only song I've ever heard form them is "No rest for the wicked" and that was pretty good.
Quote by Adisturbedone
Only song I've ever heard form them is "No rest for the wicked" and that was pretty good.

I've been hearing 'back against the wall' on the radio lately. Their debut album as a whole is great. I recomend giving it a listen some time. If nothing else, its pretty damn original compared to the radio friendly bands that are out right now.
Do all the decades have to be referenced with rock music and its offshoots?
Quote by R0e
Do all the decades have to be referenced with rock music and its offshoots?

Of course not. But they are. Not just by me. By a hell of a lot of people.
its true, this decade did suck
all kids were listening to to that hip hop crap(lil wayne, soulja boy, chris brown, gucci maine), emo(mayday parade, hollywood undead, tokio hotel), country(taylor swift, karry underwood, brad praisely), all that music really sucked it made to almost kill myself when i found out that this is all that radio plays.

out of my school me and my friend were the only ones jamming to Hendrix, pink floyd, lynyrd skynyrd, acdc, the doors while smoking a joint

the only good thins this decade had was Alter bridge, metallica(death magnetic), ACDC( Black Ice), Alice in chains (Black Gives away to blue), Back Door Slam( really bluesy sound) the black Keys(really good stuff), Wolfmother, velvet revolver and tool thats it

what an emberrasment, when I tell my grandchildren that my teenage years were dominated by all that radio crap( jonas brothers, Miley Cyrus) theyre gonna slap me and punch my balls a couple of times

WHAT HAAS HAPPENED TO MUSIC!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Adisturbedone

That's ok, because there always has been this stuff and it will always keep coming, but nobody remembers any of it.
If it's remembered for the emo crap, I'm gonna kill myself. Those people all are a bunch of whiney losers.
And I'd say most likely pop punk, with Green Day being viewed as the top act of the genre(duh).
The other one I can think of would be post grunge, they are pretty successful right now.
When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice into your enemies eyes.
Stop forgetting that mainstream rock in the 90's, 80's, and 70's was really bad too.
I'll think of Indie Rock becoming exposed to the mainstream audience. For example, The Strokes. But obviously, everyone else with think of Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, Pop, and Mainstream Country. All of which are awful.

EDIT: How could I forget Screamo and Hardcore?
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser
I'll think of Indie Rock becoming exposed to the mainstream audience. For example, The Strokes. But obviously, everyone else will think of Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, Pop, and Mainstream Country. All of which are awful.

What have you been listening to? The radio?

You can't dismiss music genres on a few artists, give me some examples of artists you've listened to and then i'll shut up. I'm not trying to shove something down your throat by the way.
Quote by achilles187
out of my school me and my friend were the only ones jamming to Hendrix, pink floyd, lynyrd skynyrd, acdc, the doors while smoking a joint

I don't know your school, but I'm gonna go out on a limb that this statement isn't true at all. You are probably just so absorbed by the "I'm the only one who listens to good music" mentality that you don't notice other people who like the same music as you.
Last edited by ledhed68 at Jan 4, 2010,
Quote by Blower_Crue
defiantly hinder

Who?

I think it's a toss up between Indie-rock, and New Prog. I prefer New Prog.
I think it will be remember, for the most part, for Hip/Hop, Rap and Pop. However, I think it will also be remembered for the Indie Scene more. Not the music "genre" indie. But more like the independent artists and labels. Also, not so much mainstream, but the rise in Post-Rock and Experimental Rock. You saw a lot more of those types of bands.

Also, I really don't understand the classification of bands as "Indie". Made me associate Singer-Songwriters with Acoustic guitars with that label. But it doesn't describe a style of music, just how the artist produces the music, am I right? So I would like to see a better label in this new decade. Something that describes the music and not the production. That just makes it too confusing. I also want to see less dense musical minds. So many people are like "Oh they suck because they are so and so genre". I want more open minds. I will listen to anything you put on, and I won't judge it based on preconceptions. I would like that. A lot of good bands could make it huge if people would stop ONLY listening to certain genres. That would be awesome. Spread the love, ya know?
Indie Rock n Roll Ftw! Bands like the Libertines, The Strokes, The View, Babyshambles etc describe the 00's, skinny jeans etc, and i agree with Hunter, he makes sense, it just came from the fact they originated from indie labels though, and they mostly remain the same style of music, much like pop only means popular but describes lady gaga and such
What about Jam Bands? The early 00s you could catch Disco Biscuits in their prime, a young Umphrey's McGee(not really a jam band but they play in the jam circuit), Phil Lesh Quintet, Phish, Trey's solo tours, SCI, and Panic. After Phish's "breakup" there were countless bands, but the leaders of the pack were SCI, UM, tDB, moe. and Panic. You also had The Dead and other post-Jerry projects. Also bands like Railroad Earth, Lotus, Yonder, Particle and Keller Williams were all playing the festival circuit. This past year has been fantastic by itself, incredible Beacon run by the Allmans, The Dead spring tour, Phish reunion and the Allman/Panic tour.
ill rememeber it for the formation of general rock...few riff and solos...just like normal songs (eg. KOL, the killers, coldplay), nu metal bands gaining popularity, returns of older bands and emo rock

but also the formation of prog rock and avant garde

the popular bands became worse but the unpopular ones became better
Quote by Vasser
I'll think of Indie Rock becoming exposed to the mainstream audience. For example, The Strokes. But obviously, everyone else with think of Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, Pop, and Mainstream Country. All of which are awful.

I'll remember the comeback of the Eagles (who swore they'd never record an album again) and the reunion of the Police. I'll remember the huge swath of Springsteen albums, and the new direction of Metallica.

Hip/hop rap crap is reaching unbearable status, but I'll definitely remember the huge amounts of crappy covers by said genre and other artists. Yep, nothing is quite as bad as a quiet version of Foreigner's "I Want to Know What Love Is".
So, until next time-

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

-(The Ultimate Noob)
I definitely agree about widening musical horizons. I discovered a whole crapload of great bands when I just started listening to randoms songs. I went from listening to only classic rock and blues to also metal and alternative (i.e. U2, Switchfoot). Many people would discover a LOT more music if only they expanded their horizons. My sister, for instance, loves the rhythms found in Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, and U2 songs, but cannot stand any of the music because it is not from this decade.
So, until next time-

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

-(The Ultimate Noob)
Last edited by theultimatenoob at Jan 8, 2010,
10 years is a log time for music, I think you guys are generalizing way too much. For example, the 70s started off with hard rock and metal, but by the end the punk rock movement had started. Grunge was really only popular in the early 90s, after that it was poppunk and nu metal. The 00s saw more nu metal, post grunge (my least favorite genre ever), and alternative (aka indy but as someone else said that's really how it's produced and not a genre).

And stop hating on rap/hiphop, even if you don't like it there are plenty of talented rappers out there, just not on the radio.
post grunge (my least favorite genre ever)
Aww

It's a pretty wide genre. The "original" post-grunge bands(Bush, Live, Collective Soul, Candlebox, Foo Fighters, Silverchair, Days of the New, etc.) are amazing. Definitely some of my favorite bands ever.
Every year that goes by that I don't hear Duran Duran...I chalk it up to "it could always be worse".
Metal.

Nah, I've got no clue. Didn't listen to much rock coming out this decade, 'cept bands like Tool, QotSA, The Mars Volta and so on, but it's hardly believable that these bands will define this decade in the eyes of later generations.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by guitarhero_764
Aww

It's a pretty wide genre. The "original" post-grunge bands(Bush, Live, Collective Soul, Candlebox, Foo Fighters, Silverchair, Days of the New, etc.) are amazing. Definitely some of my favorite bands ever.

Fair enough, but most of those bands are from the 90s. I was talking about more recent ones.
Quote by BassFishin
I'm thinking you've got it hit on the head. In the 70's, you would have seen most people (whether you like them or hate them) listening to what we now call classic rock.

Nowadays, i see most people (whether i like them or hate them) listening to pop hip hop, pop in general, rap, etc.

but they still listen to a lot of the crap mainstream rock out there...so they're still hanging on by the tiniest thread.

EDIT:

Your signature makes me extremely jealous. I won't lie.

actually, "most" people in the 70s werent listening to what we call "classic rock." they were listening to pop music, just like today. pop music is called that because its "popular music." they listened to bread, the carpenters, ABBA, stevie wonder (his bad years), david cassady and disco music (the [one of the}predecessor(s) to modern dance music, hip hop, RnB) tetc, etc

rock music survived this, in one way or another.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by '93
ill rememeber it for the formation of general rock...few riff and solos...just like normal songs (eg. KOL, the killers, coldplay), nu metal bands gaining popularity, returns of older bands and emo rock

but also the formation of prog rock and avant garde

the popular bands became worse but the unpopular ones became better

formation of prog rock?
havent you heard of Yes, Genesis, or even Pink Floyd? Prog rock has been around longer than you have been alive my little friend.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
This last decade will be remembered for Muse, Radiohead, and those kind of bands. Also, metal seems to be making a comeback. And indie seems to be getting more popular.
Quote by slipknot5678
This last decade will be remembered for Muse, Radiohead, and those kind of bands. Also, metal seems to be making a comeback. And indie seems to be getting more popular.

+1

Think of bands that got big in this decade. Muse, Coldplay, Stereophonics, Snow Patrol, Bloc Party etc. I think we're heading for an era of "fusion rock" mixing genres including, among others; Prog Rock, Classical, Piano Rock, Alternative, Grunge/Punk, Pop and others.

However, i think the rise of (c)rap music is also inevitable. The only good rap to ever exist is spewed from Zac De La Rocha's mouth. Therefore not really rap. More Fusion as I mentioned above (Though this was last decade)
The 2000's were the worst decade of music since the 1500's (Renaissance music sucks balls). The 80's weren't bad. There was NWOBHM, thrash, and hardcore punk. Even some of the hair bands were good, like Skid Row. But the 2000's consist pretty much entirely of emo bands like Fall Out Boy and Avenged Sevenfold, and their more extreme counterparts - hardcore/deathcore crap like Suicide Silence and August Burns Red. That, along with rap/pop stuff like Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne, is what the 2000's will be remembered for. What it should be remembered for is the interesting uprising of stoner rock/metal bands like Queens Of The Stone Age, ASG, and Baroness and the return of prog, in the form of The Mars Volta, Muse, Diablo Swing Orchestra, and Mastodon. Another thing that was went sort of unrecognized was the increased popularity of comedy/parody bands. The obvious ones being Tenacious D and Flight Of The Conchords, the less well-known ones being bands like Steel Panther. And there were also a decent number of true-metal revival bands like White Wizzard, Gama Bomb, and Cellador. There was even non-rock/metal music that was good. (Look up Love Today by Mika, that song is awesome). Music in the 2000's was actually great, you just had to know where to look. But unfortunately, the music that will be remembered is not found there.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Jan 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 2