Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I'm trying to get out of my old playing habits so I need new bands to listen to and inspire me.

I already know Mastodon and Dream Theater. Anybody else?

EDIT: And Tool. And Opeth. And Protest the Hero. And Nevermore. And Meshuggah.
Last edited by btones at Dec 10, 2009,
Symphony x, Nevermore, BTBAM, Opeth, protest the hero
EDIT:Communic, Outworld
Last edited by nevermore97 at Dec 10, 2009,
circus maximus, pagan's mind, Between the buried and me, Opeth, Protest the Hero, Into Eternity, Symphony X
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Symphony X, Not my favourite, but some stuff they do is awesome; try Paradise lost or The odessey.
Protest the hero are a favourite of mine atm, they are kinda more prog metalcore, but Bloodmeat is freakin' insane.

If you want prog death metal Opeth are absolutely amazing. Ghost of Perditions is one of my favourite songs ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah and this -

Quote by pwrmax
Tool

Tool are just too good. I am ashamed I forgot to mention them
Last edited by benonbass1 at Dec 10, 2009,
Mastodon is prog metal? I dont think so dude, you have a lot of catching up to do.

How about some Gojira. Great band and killer stuff from them. Cynic is an old school favourite of course.
"I would happily pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today"

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
Quote by Exterminatus
Mastodon is prog metal? I dont think so dude, you have a lot of catching up to do.

what the shit you on about foo
mastodon are VERY much prog metal. Their latest album is about a quadriplegic man who learns astral projection, flies to the sun, gets his umbilical cord burnt (severing his projection from his body), and travels back in time to Czarist russia. Also the songs are on average about 10 minutes long, and they use many odd time signatures and tempo changes.

How the **** is that NOT prog??

On topic, listen to Australia's Karnivool. Their latest album is like Tool but better.
if you like PTH, you might like SikTH.
And also try out meshuggah, ftw.
Quote by WishfulShredder

On topic, listen to Australia's Jericco. Their only EP is like Tool but better, and middle eastern.

Fixed.

I recently saw Karnivool and Jericco together. Jericco put on an amazing show and Karnivool were pretty dull. The singer was seated for most of the set.

Also, neither band are metal. Modern prog rock is more like it.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by Butt Rayge
Fixed.

I recently saw Karnivool and Jericco together. Jericco put on an amazing show and Karnivool were pretty dull. The singer was seated for most of the set.

Also, neither band are metal. Modern prog rock is more like it.

mastodon are metal.
Dont know about karnivool live, but their latest album is cool as shit
I was talking about Jericco and Karnivool.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mastodon are metal.
symphony X / Dream theater
G&L L2000

Crappy lemB102 (rotten wood included )

Bass4Life<3
On the Virg, Canvas Solaris, Planet X, Dysrhythmia
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
theres a fantastic prog band coming out of melbourne lately, talking about Aussie bands. Ne Obliviscaris. They havent released an album yet, though I'm pretty sure they're working on it.
Quote by Grazmetal
theres a fantastic prog band coming out of melbourne lately, talking about Aussie bands. Ne Obliviscaris. They havent released an album yet, though I'm pretty sure they're working on it.

They are working on it and have been doing so for a while, I think the next thing they're doing is tracking guitars.

NeO do kick huge amounts of ass but you should only really check them out if you're into black metal. However if you do like them their EP The Aurora Veil is IN-FUCKING-SANE.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Watchtower

/thread
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by WishfulShredder
true, but karnivools older albums are more heavy. they also happen to be more shit.

On the contrary, I think Themata is way better.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
They are working on it and have been doing so for a while, I think the next thing they're doing is tracking guitars.

NeO do kick huge amounts of ass but you should only really check them out if you're into black metal. However if you do like them their EP The Aurora Veil is IN-FUCKING-SANE.

Disagree.

NeO aren't black metal at all.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
opeth
porcupine tree
abigails ghost
animals as leaders
scale the summit
cynic
demians
DT
Spastic Ink
neal morse
Watchtower
Planet X
Aghora
Behold the Arctopus
Ephel Dueth
Liquid Tension Experiment
Riverside
Sleep terror
Symphony X
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Last edited by Led man32 at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by eazy-c
Disagree.

NeO aren't black metal at all.

Some of the vocals are occasionally black metal sounding... but honestly, the only guitar riff on the whole album that sounds black metal to me, is the opening riff of 'Tapestry...'.

It's hard to put NeO in a box, but my best effort is: progressive/extreme/melodic metal.

For prog fans who don't listen to any form of extreme metal (death/black/whatever)... it MAY be too heavy for you. And for extreme metal fans who listen to no prog or melodic metal it may be too melodic. But for anyone that listens to some of both..... well they may still not like it anyways. ::p But the chances are higher they will than the other two categories I mentioned.

Also... good prog is:

Cynic
Between The Buried And Me
Arcturus
Spiral Architect
Arcane (Brisbane, Australia)

and many, many more...

Lastly--- Karnivool is one of the most amazing prog/heavy rock bands out there. They're not metal, but their new album is out of this world so definitely worth checking out for those into more rocky stuff like Tool.