I figured musicians would know best so I came here.
http://www.myspace.com/joshuabayliff

I use fruity loops for synths and audacity with a rock band mic for guitar and vocal.

I just want to know what all I can do to make it sound better. There are some pretty shitty recordings there. Mainly Pagan, MATT, and I dislike love gun. Also Married with Children is pretty old also.
First off, stop using a rock band mic. Invest a few bucks into a decent mic (like $80-$200). It'll make the sound of your vocals & guitar a ton better.

Also, no offense, some auto tune or pitch correction for the vocals would help.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I was going to buy a Digitech Jamman with my 200 for playing live, but getting a mic would be better?
Well, what do you plan on doing more? Do you plan on playing live more or recording more?

If you're gonna buy a mic and not record, you're wasting money. Same with buying a jam man and recording.
I'm going to get both eventually and do both, but right now the band I have needs WAY too much equipment to get anywhere, and our drummer can't even play live because his mom is ignorant (longstory). So... I guess the mic would be good for now. Should I get vocal lessons?
Either vocal lessons or do it the lazy ass way and buy auto tune.
You should definately get vocal lessons, I heard you struggle with certain parts and you go out of tune. I think the quality is actually quite decent for a Rockband mic.

I'll go through song by song and tell you what I think.

New Mexico Can Burn, that whoosh effect is very annoying
Vocals are out of tune and you struggle with some notes.
The bass drum is also quite annoying.
At around 1:36 sounds quite nice actually until the drums copy the guitar.

My Auburn Tattered Tale, vocals go out on some parts and sometimes you try to fit too many words into some parts and the random overdubs don't really add much.
I think this is your best track.

Shadow Man's Theme, kinda reminds me of Buckethead and Sonic
Again, the drums are very annoying.

Flandre's Theme, annoying drums, they don't really fit with the rest of the track and they are way too loud.
The rest is pretty good.

Love Gun, way too much reverb on the vocals, makes it hard hear the rest of the song.
Vocals go out of tune when you do the harmonies.
Having 2 lead parts panned the same way makes it hard to hear them both.

Married With Children, lead part doesn't really work and you do it too often.
Vocals go out of tune and you need to work on the timing of them.

Pagan, vocals go out of tune and it's hard to understand you sometimes, it's like you don't know what words come next
The lead part doesn't really fit on some parts during the solo.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by maggot9779 at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by maggot9779
You should definately get vocal lessons, I heard you struggle with certain parts and you go out of tune. I think the quality is actually quite decent for a Rockband mic.

I'll go through song by song and tell you what I think.

New Mexico Can Burn, that whoosh effect is very annoying
Vocals are out of tune and you struggle with some notes.
The bass drum is also quite annoying.
At around 1:36 sounds quite nice actually until the drums copy the guitar.

My Auburn Tattered Tale, vocals go out on some parts and sometimes you try to fit too many words into some parts and the random overdubs don't really add much.
I think this is your best track.

Shadow Man's Theme, kinda reminds me of Buckethead and Sonic
Again, the drums are very annoying.

Flandre's Theme, annoying drums, they don't really fit with the rest of the track and they are way too loud.
The rest is pretty good.

Love Gun, way too much reverb on the vocals, makes it hard hear the rest of the song.
Vocals go out of tune when you do the harmonies.
Having 2 lead parts panned the same way makes it hard to hear them both.

Married With Children, lead part doesn't really work and you do it too often.
Vocals go out of tune and you need to work on the timing of them.

Pagan, vocals go out of tune and it's hard to understand you sometimes, it's like you don't know what words come next
The lead part doesn't really fit on some parts during the solo.

Hope that helps.
I like the whooshing snare. XDD And is it just how loud it is? And yeah. I might redo the ending. The ending sounds ****ing GREAT. I see what you mean about the bass drum copying. I need to redo Pagan. Pagan is an awful recording. And I whole completely new harmonies. And a pop filter. XD Shadow man's theme is a megaman cover. Flandre's theme is a touhou cover, which is a japenese video game. And yeah... Looking back, the drums were like holy shit loud. And. Dear god. So generic in programming. Love Gun is a KISS cover I did with my old band mate recording me. The harmonies do suck. And he did all the reverb, mixing, and panning. He's a lot better with that stuff now. Married with children is an Oasis cover. Blame the soloing to the arrangment of the song. And that one's REALLY old. As well as Pagan. So old. I'm redoing that one soon. As for all of the annoying drums I just got Reason again, and it has amazing sounding drums. So there's that. I can't think of anything else. But I'll be re recording some stuff and I appreciate your criticism. I'll learn to record better.