Hey, I'm really wanting to get into slide guitar, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience playing in the psychedelic/acid blues style.. I'm thinking early Syd Barrett, David Gilmour, etc... It seems like 80% of slide players are doing bluegrass or country, and it's hard to find wisdom for the other 20% who choose to do something else.

Any tips?
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
99% improvisation.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
99% improvisation.

Alright, I get it that it's improvisation. Thanks a bunch. But what on earth am I supposed to be improvising? That's like trying to tell someone who's baking a cake "Just use ingredients".
Quote by brownsfan456

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
learn scales. Blues scales are best (B and A major are my personal faves). Also, a guitar that can be set up for slide is great. If not, at least know some different tunings (open D and open G are very common).
and it is pretty much all improv
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by KenjiBeast
Alright, I get it that it's improvisation. Thanks a bunch. But what on earth am I supposed to be improvising? That's like trying to tell someone who's baking a cake "Just use ingredients".

The only thing that I have managed to get from my previous slide threads (I can link you and PM stuff that was PM'd to me about slide) is that you have to use open tunings predominantly.
i'm sure david gilmour couldn't even tell you what you're supposed to be improvising. figure out what kind of sound you're after and find those songs that have that sound and learn them.

the best way to learn how to get a certain sound is to learn how others do it and practice it until you have the right feel and are comfortable improvising. Also, I recommend you not ignore blues slide guitar since that's the root of almost all slide playing.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by tyler_j
The only thing that I have managed to get from my previous slide threads (I can link you and PM stuff that was PM'd to me about slide) is that you have to use open tunings predominantly.

lol would you mind pming me that stuff?

I'm afraid that I've just sparked three pages of "Use the blues scale" and "Use open tunings".
Quote by brownsfan456

Quote by metal4all

Quote by psychokiller99
i'm sure david gilmour couldn't even tell you what you're supposed to be improvising. figure out what kind of sound you're after and find those songs that have that sound and learn them.

the best way to learn how to get a certain sound is to learn how others do it and practice it until you have the right feel and are comfortable improvising. Also, I recommend you not ignore blues slide guitar since that's the root of almost all slide playing.

Lol I started as a blues player. Everything I play has pretty significant roots in the blues, I just want to look past the cliche licks and turnarounds etc.. Thanks for the advice, tho, I really need to work on my repertoire.
Quote by brownsfan456

Quote by metal4all

I like it, but more people don't do it for a variety of reasons. A big one is the learning curve. It isn't something most people can just casually add to their skills. It is a totally different way to play a guitar. A coupe of things that helped me, were using open tunings, and finding the right slide. For the slide part, that's up to you. There are many choices, and you have to find what works for you.
I just dabble at it, so I only use a slide rarely live, and only because it is the only way I can get the sound I want.
for the technique part, just practise playing what you usually play but with a slide
as for open tunings, just practise playing what you usually play but in an open tuning
see a pattern here?
Thanks for the advice, everybody! I really, really want to add a good understanding of slidework to my repertoire.. I've always felt that all of Pink floyd's best lead sounds were played slide style, and it's unfortunate how many guitarists fail to incorporate it into their playing.

cheers!
Quote by brownsfan456

Quote by metal4all

Slide is a completely different animal than any other approach, primarily because its a touch thing, You have to learn how to play certain notes while muting every other string around it. The other thing is slide can be played a lot of different ways, as far as which finger. I agree with those who say the blues. Duane Allman, and more recently Warren Haynes of Allman Bros and Govt Mule are great to study. Also look/listen to Robert Randolph, even though he plays a pedal steel, some amazing slide like melodic playing is being put out there.

There are some other great resources for slide Warren Haynes has a book, and hes noted for favoring standard tuning. Learn a song like One Way Out by the Allman Brothers. Its pretty challenging. The slide in Tush by ZZ top is a nice basic solo in the blues. There are plenty of places where slide is used in PF as you well noted, such as Comfortably Numb and Breathe... A lot of times slide is played in open alternate tunings like open G. The study of slide is one few people take, and you may find in some ways its like learning how to play the guitar from scratch all over again.
Quote by KenjiBeast
Thanks for the advice, everybody! I really, really want to add a good understanding of slidework to my repertoire.. I've always felt that all of Pink floyd's best lead sounds were played slide style, and it's unfortunate how many guitarists fail to incorporate it into their playing.

cheers!

see the thing about pink floyd is that david gilmour didn't really use the slide in the "traditional" sense that most people think of. The way I think of it, he had a melody he liked and he thought it would sound cool with a slide. He used it very tastefully to create a very specific sound or texture he was after. So again, learn songs with slide in them and practice those licks. I was watching La Bamba today (great movie, btw) and some of the songs in that movie had some cool slide work. You should check some of that out.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Alright- one last question. Is it unheard of to play slide in standard or drop D tuning? I love open tunings, and I've been practicing them a lot, but I'd love to explore some drop D ideas, especially, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN5M7YoEMm4

Sort of this kind of style..
Quote by brownsfan456

Quote by metal4all

see what info you can get about ry cooder... google may just be your friend on that one.

Zakk used his slide on "No more tears" with drop D... some accurate tab (like proper tab will give you a good idea)
Last edited by evolucian at Dec 11, 2009,
You don't have to "ask for permission" to do anything musically. Try it. If it works for you, it does, if it doesn't, so what? If you don't get what you want, move along. How much time have you really wasted? Not much, but if you find the sound you're looking for, great. Either way, it was time well spent. You learned something.
i havent read all this thread yet, but if you want to get away from cliche licks and stuff, dont use an open tuning. try just playing in standard. i stopped using open tunings for slide and i love it. i find it easier because i know the way the scales are layed out on the neck better in standard. you just have to mute more and not play so many strings at a time. from there, just try to play licks you know with the slide.

or maybe try to play behind the slide as well. look up sonny landreth on youtube and behind the slide playing. there should be some videos about how to do it. its pretty simple really.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i havent read all this thread yet, but if you want to get away from cliche licks and stuff, dont use an open tuning. try just playing in standard. i stopped using open tunings for slide and i love it. i find it easier because i know the way the scales are layed out on the neck better in standard. you just have to mute more and not play so many strings at a time. from there, just try to play licks you know with the slide.

or maybe try to play behind the slide as well. look up sonny landreth on youtube and behind the slide playing. there should be some videos about how to do it. its pretty simple really.

I think I'm going to do a bit of experimentation with standard tuning, lol. I've also got a banjo that I really want to try out too. I love all tunings lol!

Alright thanks everybody.
Quote by brownsfan456

Quote by metal4all