well first off i have hardly any clue about amps other than plugging them in setting the knobs to my liking and jamming. right now i have a nice little roland cube amp, but i want to upgrade to something better. i want something that can have a nice clean tone and a heavy distortion with a nice bright sound to it. since of my need for a very bright poppy distortion i started looking at marshalls, which have a brightness switch to make the sound brighter and what not, so i looked at the mg100hfx thinking that this could be what i was going to get. cheap and of course its a marshall which have signature distortion, but then i saw it didnt have a brightness switch and after browsing the name on these forums i read some bad comments about the amp. so then i looked at the marshall haze mhz15 and saw a lot of things that i liked on it, but there were no reviews of it on guitarcenter so i thought id bring it here. so thats what im thinking of right now, but like i said i know hardly anything about amps other than the big brands so if you have a better halfstack then please say so. my price range is from $500 to $800 and the type of music i play ranges from pop punk to hard rock. so if you could help me out then please respond
Why do you want a half stack?

If you have $800 to spend, do not get anything with an MG in it.
i want a halfstack because i want a amp that i can jam with a drummer and i dont want to worry about getting a different amp for a while. and then why dont you include a reccomendation for what i should get then?
Quote by zchavez09
i want a halfstack because i want a amp that i can jam with a drummer and i dont want to worry about getting a different amp for a while. and then why dont you include a reccomendation for what i should get then?

you can do all of these things with a nice combo amp. Will you buy used?
ok well what combo amp do you reccomend? and it depends if ill buy used, im not looking to by anytime soon right now im just weighing my options

and also im kind of set on getting half stack cause thats what my bassist and guitarist are upgrading to and i need to go along with them so is there like a good marshall halfstack i can get and a good cab within 800?

or what about the haze, does anyone know anything about that?
Last edited by zchavez09 at Dec 10, 2009,
800 will buy you a head but not a cab

the haze is a wicked lil amp, but it`s just that a little amp. it`s only 15 watts, it would hold it`s own against drums though, i really liked the tone and it`s bright very bright, like most newer marshalls are.

i`d look into a JCM 900 4500 or 4100 , i have experiance with both heads as i own a 4500 and the other guy in my band owns a 4100. there high gain heads with a ton of brightness they sound really good and will blow a MG100DFX outta the water, i use mine for thrash metal, but there clean channel is amazing too, they can do almost any music you want them to do.

but 800 will not buy the head and cab. it`ll get you the head you`ll have to save up more for a cab, but it`ll be worth it for sure. i LOVE my 900
$800?

Shit, you could get yourself a:

5150 combo
Carvin Legacy
Marshall DSL50
Marshall DSL401 combo
Peavey Classic 50
Carvin V3
Mesa Mark IIB combo
Mesa Dual Calibre .50
Mesa DC-5
Mesa DC-3
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Sampson Era Bad Cat Black Cat 30R
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by warplanegrey at Dec 10, 2009,
The Haze is the most disappointing amp I have ever played through. Muddy as hell and doesn't even give a good classic rock sound let alone a good hard rock sound. Are you absolutely adamant it has to be a Marshall? I mean they are good amps but they're the Gibson of the amp world in that you're paying so much for the name because "OMG IT'S A MARSHALL" fanboyism allows them to put prices high
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I love these threads, they're so predictable.

1. "I need a half-stack for less money than a starter amp. Which Marshall should I get?"
2. "Oh no no, sir! You don't want to get a Marshall stack for that cheap, it'll surely be an MG!"
3. "Why do you need a half-stack?"
4. "To play with a band of course!"
5. "Why do you think you need a half-stack to play with a band?!"
6. "Without the awesome power of a half-stack I'll never get over the drums!"
7. "Good Sir, a combo will be more than sufficient for your needs!"
8. "Crikey? Alright then, which Marshall combo should I get"
9. "Well why do you need a Marshall?"

and so on it goes...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
no im not fixed on getting a marshall like i said i know hardly anything so i just went to the most known brand to see what they had, if you have any other halfstack ideas then be my guest and say them
Quote by Dopey_Trout
The Haze is the most disappointing amp I have ever played through. Muddy as hell and doesn't even give a good classic rock sound let alone a good hard rock sound. Are you absolutely adamant it has to be a Marshall? I mean they are good amps but they're the Gibson of the amp world in that you're paying so much for the name because "OMG IT'S A MARSHALL" fanboyism allows them to put prices high

lol really... a mesa is muddy a krank is muddy but the Haze!?!??!?!??

i for one loved it, but thats just what i think of it.

if i had $1200 to blow for a practice amp the Marshall Haze stack would be my choice (there $1200 in canada for the whole stack) ton of gain and so crystal clear.
Quote by Slayerdeath
lol really... a mesa is muddy a krank is muddy but the Haze!?!??!?!??

i for one loved it, but thats just what i think of it.

if i had $1200 to blow for a practice amp the Marshall Haze stack would be my choice (there $1200 in canada for the whole stack) ton of gain and so crystal clear.

Are you actually saying that ALL mesa's are muddy?

Bogner Ecstasy 101b
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Slayerdeath
^^ i knew someone was gonna say that LOL, the dual rectifers the mesa`s used for the brutal metal

The Mesa Mark IIC+ is probably one of the most sought after high gain amps ever made, followed closely (at least in the realm of Mesas) by a pre-500 serial number Dual Rectifier.

I bet you'd have a hard time finding a muddy sounding Mesa in the Stilletto line, the Rectifier line (eq'd properly), and/or the Mark series (eq'd properly).
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Slayerdeath
...a krank is muddy...

A Krank is only muddy if you don't know how to properly use an EQ in conjunction with the "sweep" knob found on Krank amps.

Also the Haze really isn't anything to write home about. Its decent, yes, but its nothing amazing and the stock cab is pretty crappy.

TS: What exactly are you going to be playing? Name some bands that have a similar tone to what you're after.

Since you're willing to go used, where do you live?

What other gear do you have?
well im thinking of getting the haze halfstack because its easy to get, in my price range, and sounds like everything i want, does anyone have anything else to say?
Check out the amps I listed earlier. They can all be found on ebay. I really don't think you need a half-stack.

Hell, no one actually NEEDS a half-stack.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Korg Pitchblack
ok well i was checking guitar center and musicians friend for those amps no wonder i couldnt find any well ill check those all out again
traynor amps are really cool. this one is very, loud, if you're worried about it.
the traynor 50 blue is another suggestion as are the other amps mentioned by warplane^

i have no idea how craigslist is in your area, but this is one example of why buying used is such a good idea. the price is cut in half and the amp is most likely brand new.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/1503757350.html

half stacks can be fine.

so can combos. if you're getting a 2x12 combo for example, it'll have 2, 12" speakers.

so it would be the same as getting a head and a 2x12 cab.

i'm just explaining that combo might be the way to go.
still, if the head is the right one, you can always pick up a used cab and save that way...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by warplanegrey
$800?

Shit, you could get yourself a:

5150 combo
Carvin Legacy
Marshall DSL50
Marshall DSL401 combo
Peavey Classic 50
Carvin V3
Mesa Mark IIB combo
Mesa Dual Calibre .50
Mesa DC-5
Mesa DC-3

Just so you can see it again
ok ive got another question about this.

if i buy a head and then buy a cab, does it matter what cab i get? like will it affect the tone at all or is just for volume and what not?
Quote by Dopey_Trout

I buy used.

TS, you don't need a half stack. I have a half stack and I play big gigs, and I question if I need a half stack.

Get yourself a proper combo.

Granted, JCM-800s often only come in head/cab configurations, but whatever.

With your budget, for hard rock, I would recommend finding a JCM-2000 DSL or TSL or a JCM-900 combo set up.

Alternatively, if you want an American voiced amp, you can check out Peavey's 6505 line up.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by zchavez09

if i buy a head and then buy a cab, does it matter what cab i get? like will it affect the tone at all or is just for volume and what not?

Are u serious?
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by zchavez09
well first off i have hardly any clue about amps other than plugging them in setting the knobs to my liking and jamming.

then don't get a half stack, until you learn about electrical resistance and impedance.

for that price, look for a used JCM 800 or a peavey 5150

Quote by zchavez09

dude you really need to do more research before you take the plunge and buy a stack.

first off, you need to make sure the cabinet can handle the amp in the first place. if the ohms of the head are higher than the ohms of your cab, say goodbye to your cabinet. sometimes you may even need to rewire a cab to get it to work with your amp.

secondly the cabinet makes an INSANE difference. the speakers in the back obviously make the biggest difference, but the construction of the cab also affects what kind of sound you're getting. closed back = tight focused low end, very punchy tone. eg, marshall
open back = a lot of midrange, throaty punch. eg, vox
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 14, 2009,
You could get a Bugera 1990 stack if you're willing to take a gamble with getting a lemon or not.
TS. You don't need a half stack amp. You need a simple amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

ok thanks everyone especially lt shinysides and weeping, this is why i made this thread to learn more about what i dont know ill definately consider a combo and then later on in life i can think about maybe getting a halfstack, thanks

im really looking into the peavy 6505 60w tube combo, anyone have anything tosay about that?
Last edited by zchavez09 at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
TS. You don't need a half stack amp. You need a simple amp.

Having a stack doesn't mean you need a 100 watt head with a 412 cab.

Maybe he wants a 20 watt head and a 212 or even 1x12 cab.
Quote by zchavez09
ok thanks everyone especially lt shinysides and weeping, this is why i made this thread to learn more about what i dont know ill definately consider a combo and then later on in life i can think about maybe getting a halfstack, thanks

im really looking into the peavy 6505 60w tube combo, anyone have anything tosay about that?

I'd just get that. Good all around amp. Loud enough to drown your average drummer. Peavey Classic 30 can get pretty heavy too.

Otherwise, lurk your local craigslist for used amps as mentioned.
i just checked out a couple demos on youtube for this amp and it sounds like exactly what im after and only 600$!!