hey guys. ive heard that the marshall 1987xl is basically the same thing as the jmp50. obviously there are slight differences in tone but the overall amps are pretty much alike. can anyone verify this? thanks!
JMP can mean a ton of different amps. Every 50 watt small box amp that came after the JTM50 had JMP printed on the front panel. So JMP50 covers plexis, '70s metal faces and pre-JCM800 MVs.
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Dec 10, 2009,
They're similar. as Marshalls progress from plexis into metal panels into JCM800s they become brighter, more aggressive and higher gain.

But if you talk about 50 watt non-master volume Marshalls from the plexis to the JCM800s non mv amps, they're all 1987 model amps.

The amp you are talking about is a late '70s non-master volume 1987 with cascaded gain stages and a master volume installed. Thus, there is only one channel (as opposed to two that you see in the non-MV models). But other than those two, they are the same amp (but they're two big tone affecting factors)
ok got it. thanks!

EDIT: so which would sound closer to the jmp50 im talking about, a jcm800 or the plexi 1987xl?
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Dec 10, 2009,
the jcm800. early single channel jcm800 2204s are the exact same as the mv 2204 jmp50s.
no reason to buy a 2203 reissue when you can still buy originals for less.

that is also 100 watts. you may be more interested in getting a 50 watt model but that's down to your preference.
Quote by al112987
no reason to buy a 2203 reissue when you can still buy originals for less.

that is also 100 watts. you may be more interested in getting a 50 watt model but that's down to your preference.

+1

I see origional 80s JCM 800s go fro around 800 bucks all the time on Ebay and Cragslist.

And on the topic of 50 watt and 100 watt models.. Both are gonna be loud as balls, but as usuall 100 watts is gonna be a lot more headroom. So in the end it just depends on what kinda music you play, I play music where poweramp break is a nesesicity so as good as a JCM800 sounds, it would be useless for me.

How ever they do make excellent pedal platforms.

Ok sorry no more soapbox speechs.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Honey Burst

Blackheart Little Giant Half Stack

Fulltone OCD

Alvarez Acoustic

More to come!
Yes it will probably get you really close to what a 50 watt Plexi would sound like. Because there are kinda a lotta versions of the "JMP 50" though. But yes again you would get very close.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Honey Burst

Blackheart Little Giant Half Stack

Fulltone OCD

Alvarez Acoustic

More to come!
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
sorry what i meant to say was will that sound close the jmp50?
in certain ways, if you mean will it sound like a plexi spec 1987, then no, JCM800s are more aggressive, brighter, tighter low end and stiffer in attack.