Page 1 of 4
Here's a fun way to "jam" (kinda) with anyone, no matter where they are. All it takes it signing up, downloading a certain recording program (which is good anyways), and have a way to connect your guitar or bass to your computer.

http://riffworks.com/
Sign up and download there, then post your username here, and we can make rooms to invite each other. Then you record a riff, and everyone else in the room can record harmonies/bass lines/poly-rhythms over it.

It's really great fun, me and entity0009 messed around a bit the other day, and we're working on an Alestorm cover, it's a great way to connect with others musically as well as improving song writing skills. I hope people like it.

My username is MetalRulesAll, hope to see some others there
Basic guide to using Riffworks:

First of all, you'll need to download Riffworks T4 here. There are two version, the free one and the pay one. The free one does not have any time limitations, but you are limited to recording 4 layers per riff (24 in collabs). I highly doubt there will be more than 24 layers in a single riff anyway. Also, remember to create an account on the site while you're at it.

You will also need the ASIO4ALL drivers, which will greatly reduce your sound latency.

Configuring your sound

Open Riffworks and click on the audio setup button (Bottom right). Make sure your device is set to ASIO4ALL, and the output channel is set to your standard audio output. (Note: ASIO will not work if you have other audio programs running, close youtube, and media players, games, UG profiles with music, etc.) You can open them again after running Riffworks but they will not make any sound while the ASIO drivers are active.

To configure you input and output, click on the green arrow icon in the taskbar. A window will come up with a list of your sound devices. Click on the advanced view button and make sure the correct input and output is selected. If there is a cross next to an output device it means you have another audio program open. Close it and reopen the ASIO window.

Getting used to recording in riffworks

Recording in Riffworks is based on the recording of seperate riffs and then placing them in whatever order you want to make a song.

To make a riff, click on the create button in the riffs section near the top. You will see a new riff appear in the riffs list. You can set the tempo, the time signature, and the length in bars of the riff at the side (You will not be able to change this once you have recorded something). You can also set a count in, and use a couple of other things. An especially useful one is the auto mute one, when you get to the end of the riff when recording, it mutes the layer you just recorded and starts recording another layer, so you can have multiple attempts to get it right without having to stop, delete, and start again. You can also write notes about the riff (V. useful for online collab, to tell other people the key, scale, etc.)

To set up the metronome, click on the "Drummer" tab, uncheck the InstantDrummer option and select the metronome. Turn up the gain slightly, especially if you're playing with high distorsion. You can also set the sound of the metronome. I prefer bassbell because it makes a different sound for the first beat of each bar.

Before recording, you might want to set the effects you want to use. At the very bottom of the screen, click on the effects button. Riffworks has a number of effects, but some of them are lacking. If you want to use an amp sim such as Revalver or Amplitube you can. Find the tab which says "Amp". Next to that there should be a little arrow. Click on it and a list of VSTs will appear. You can also set the folder where you have your VSTs installed. Choose the VST you want from the list and it will start it up. (Note: You may want to run multiple VSTs. You can do this but it might be a great memory drain, you will need Chainer to be able to do this though).

Once you have your effects set up, play something. If you can't hear it, even if you have ASIO set up properly, click the "Hardware" button which is above the "Effects" button. You should now be able to hear yourself playing. (Note: sometimes the sound will be clicky and have some noise. Try playing around with the settings in the ASIO window to see if it fixes anything. If it doesn't, the noise generally goes away after a while. As far as I know this is a Riffworks problem which they are currently working on. This only affects the output, not the input, so even if it sounds bad the recording quality is OK).

Click the record button to start recording. If you have activated the metronome lead in, you will get two bars count in before it starts recording. Once you are happy with your riff, drag the little coloured rectangle from the Riffs section into the Song timeline. You can now record a second riff and drag that into the timeline. That's the basic mechanics of how this works. You can duplicate riffs if you want to record vocals or a solo over it without changing the original.

There is a drum machine feature, but it's rather limited. If you do want to mix down a song, the best bet would be to mix it down without drums and then do custom drums with whichever program you want to use. The drum machine they offer there is mainly suitable for rock and some lighter metal. To activate it, go to the drummer tab and check the InstantDrummer option. Play around with the settings until you get a beat you are happy with.

Logging in and finding a room

Once you are sure the sound is working, click on the button that says "Rifflink" (I'm assuming you have already made an account at the website). Log in (The server has a short downtime at 3am PST everyday)

Once you are logged in you can either create a room (This takes you to their web page where you write a short name and description. My advice is to make it an invite only channel if you only wanna jam with UG'ers, they have a very active community and you always get others popping in to record stuff Don't use special symbols in the room name, it can crash the servers.), or join another one. The recommended limit per room is 4 people at any time, but obviously more can participate at different times. To join a room you've created, after logging in, click "My collabs" on the dropdown list, and click join on the right.

To join someone elses room, you can either search for it or go to "My invites" on the dropdown list if they've invited you to the room. Some rooms are invite only.

Once in, you will see the standard riffworks layout. You can create riffs and layers which people can then add to (but you can't delete other people's layers or riffs). Each collab can only have one song at a time, so create new collab rooms for different projects if possible.

That's about it, I will try and help people here if they have any specific queries.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Dec 11, 2009,
I made an account, but I cant find a way to get to the rooms or whatever

btw, its Mr_Dosequis
Ima try this!

My nickname is "This_Is_NASA"!
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Quick tip, the chat functions in the collab rooms are really slow and generally awful. You might wanna find some other way of communicating with fellow collabees.

🙈 🙉 🙊
    How can I connect my guitar to the computer? Just through the Line in or what?
    Quote by Erik_Aero
    How can I connect my guitar to the computer? Just through the Line in or what?

You need to install the ASIO4All drivers to be able to play without latency. The just plug the cable into the line in, yeah. Or even mic up an amp but that might sound odd.
    🙈 🙉 🙊
    Quote by Myfirstpubes
    I dont have a cable to connect to my computer, will that be a problem?

You got a mic? You can just stick that close to your amp, obviously the sound will suffer slightly but it does the trick.
    🙈 🙉 🙊
    Quote by entity0009
    You got a mic? You can just stick that close to your amp, obviously the sound will suffer slightly but it does the trick.

that'll work then
    I posted a link for the drivers further up in the thread, they're universal ASIO drivers that'll work on pretty much any sooundcard. Just install that and then go to audio options in riffworks, choose asio, go to the control panel and configure your input/output.

ASIO will sometimes conflict with other programs that make sounds, close youtube/media player/anything similar.
    🙈 🙉 🙊
    That's probably a firewall problem. Does it let you log in?

Spaz_monster, have you got a microphone? if so, just leave it near your amp and it'll pick up the sound more or less OK. If not, get a standard 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter, they cost like 50 cents, and it lets you plug into the line in.
    🙈 🙉 🙊
    hey, im in your room. what do i do now?
    Quote by RazorTheAwesome
    * at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
    TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
    Quote by cakeandpiemofo
    It's morphing time bitches.
    Downloading.

Well...sort of. I paused it for now until my family goes to bed, when my DL speed will go up.

My laptop doesn't always like the line-in idea, but I'll give it a try. It would be pretty cool to be able to jam with UG.
    I'm in, but just as I was going to record, my low E broke >_<

I'll join some other night, hope to jam later!
    Quote by TunaFish
    hey, im in your room. what do i do now?

Click create, top left-ish, and it will make a new riff. Change the name to something like "Metal C# minor" and record a rhythm track or whatever. Then someone will record over that, and then if you make more riffs you can combine them to make a song. YOu can turn the metronome on under the drums tab, turn the gain up on it though cause it' s pretty quite. On the left you can set the tempo, bars, and time sig of your riff, as well as set a count in before recording. If you have recorded a track you can't change any of this unless you delete the track, so make sure you get it right.
    🙈 🙉 🙊
    I'm barden1069

FRIEND ME IF YOU DARE BWAHAHAHA
    Gear
    Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
    Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
    Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
    Vox AC4c1
    Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
    ...to make sure I don't get too far"
    Quote by entity0009
    Click create, top left-ish, and it will make a new riff. Change the name to something like "Metal C# minor" and record a rhythm track or whatever. Then someone will record over that, and then if you make more riffs you can combine them to make a song. YOu can turn the metronome on under the drums tab, turn the gain up on it though cause it' s pretty quite. On the left you can set the tempo, bars, and time sig of your riff, as well as set a count in before recording. If you have recorded a track you can't change any of this unless you delete the track, so make sure you get it right.

But where? In the program? Do i need to sign in to that Riffcast thing there?
    Quote by RazorTheAwesome
    * at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
    TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
    Quote by cakeandpiemofo
    Making one.

My nickname is going to be "crazy8rgood".

Just like everywhere.
    Quote by TunaFish
    But where? In the program? Do i need to sign in to that Riffcast thing there?

Ooh sorry I thought you were already in the room.

Click on the button that says rifflink, and then search for whatever the room name is. Ask sglover for that or just tell him your username and he'll invite you.
    🙈 🙉 🙊
    So I got the drivers, does this T4 program let me play guitar through the computer with real time effects and such?
    Quote by entity0009
    Ooh sorry I thought you were already in the room.

Click on the button that says rifflink, and then search for whatever the room name is. Ask sglover for that or just tell him your username and he'll invite you.

edit: got to the rooms parts
    so what room do i join? Wheres sglover?
    Quote by RazorTheAwesome
    * at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
    TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
    Quote by cakeandpiemofo
    i cant log in most of the times
    Quote by RazorTheAwesome
    * at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
    TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
    Quote by cakeandpiemofo
    I already downloaded the ASIO drivers and stuff, but I get no sound when I try to record.
    No muerde, no calla
    Sin sangre no hay arte
    Nada ni nadie
    De nada más

Epic tool for colabs is epic.
    THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
    Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
    2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
    im in ug collab?
    Quote by RazorTheAwesome
    * at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
    TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
    Quote by cakeandpiemofo
    Quote by TunaFish
    im in ug collab?

Do you play drums or synths and are you fine with playing music someone else wrote and not getting a cut as if you were a session musician? If so yes. If not I'm too cheap a bastard.
    THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
    Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
    2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
    Page 1 of 4