Hey guys,
I have been teaching myself guitar now for about 9 months with a guitar/amp combo purchased for less than £100. (Obviously one of the worst guitars in existance). However, I have been really getting into it and have decided its time to buy better gear. I would like to be able to play anything and everything but will probably be focusing on metal. So could you guys recommend me a guitar and amp that you think would be ideal for me. My current budget is about £600 but may be willing to go slightly if needed.
Thanks.
Something like a Peavey 6505 112 Combo and an Ibanez RGA32 should work. You got a lot of good options with 1000 usd, just wait for some more replies.
Mmm first you'll want to split up your budget and decide how much you want to spend on your guitar and amp. And then to decide what guitar you want we need to know a few things such as

What type of bridge?
What type of neck joint?
What pickup layout?
What woods?
Anything else?

As for amps well better take that question to these guys https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Thanks for your responses. Should I split it 50/50. £300 for an amp and for a £300 guitar. I'm not sure about bridges, neck joints etc I would just like the best possible guitar in my price range that can play whatever I fancy relatively well. Any ideas?
Also, theres currently a LINE 6 SPIDER II HD150 AMP + CAB listed on craigslist with the seller living in my home town, is this a good deal?
Thanks again.
I like playing metal especially, but don't want to limit what I can play by sticking to one genre.
For £300 I got myself a JH200, used of course, but perhaps the greatest thing thats ever happened to me.

Check out Ibanez, but avoid the Edge III floating trems, if you haven't had any experience with a floating trem, ugh. It could get ugly.
The new 6505 + 112 combo can do hard rock to metal no problem. People will tell you the cleans are weak and others say they are ok but at the end of the day you just gota try one out. Oh and it's gigable as you can just plug it up to the PA system from out the back using a simulated micrphone output.

It's about £450
So you have roughly $500 for each item?

I'd go for a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, and a Schecter/Ibanez possibly Jackson with a pickup change.

Also, theres currently a LINE 6 SPIDER II HD150 AMP + CAB listed on craigslist with the seller living in my home town, is this a good deal? Thanks again.
Is this the spider with the tubes, or the solid-state Spider?

If it's the SS Spider (which I think it is), don't bother.

If it's the tube spider, then go for it. I'd still go for the Tube Vypyr though.
TC Ellis Series 2 is a Les Paul type guitar currently being used by Phil Campbell of Motorhead. Okay his has more expensive pickups. At £299 with a pro setup and hard case, you can't go wrong. These are hand finished guitars made in Wales. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/tc_ellis/series_2/index.html?helpful=1298238132

If you are only playing at home something like a Roland Cube 30 or the 30w Peavey Vypyr will be more than adequate. That will leave change for a strap (get a decent one) a lead and maybe even a pedal or two.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x