im looking for a new electric guitar. i already hit up one small shop and fixing to hit up another two to try to find a better guitar than the one i got.

what i ahve now is one of those starter fender strat guitars that you get in a combo. idk if im being too rash but i dont think its as good as some more expensive guitars ive seen so far.

so my question is what are some good questions to ask to get the sales person to help me find the perfect guitar for me? what should i watch out for? is having a budget of 400 to 500 dollars enough for a better guitar?

thansk
Don't ask anything except "can you please take that guitar off the wall so I can try it out," or "can I please borrow a cable to try this guitar out."

Present questions to people who aren't trying to get you to buy the most expensive guitar and people who play and own the guitars...like here.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't ask anything except "can you please take that guitar off the wall so I can try it out," or "can I please borrow a cable to try this guitar out."

Present questions to people who aren't trying to get you to buy the most expensive guitar and people who play and own the guitars...like here.

exactly. salesman will say anything to get u buy the more expensive one or the ones they cant sell to anyone knowledgeable. give us some more info and we will help u.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
don't look around when you are trying out instruments, unless you like the idea of being bombarded with "can I help you with anything" from the pushy salesmen.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
You can get a good guitar for 400-500, what kind of music do you play, what amp do you have?
ok well ill try to give you as much info as i can.

i like to play a little of everything, but really lean toward rock and metal. i have a starter fender strat that came in a combo pack. the neck on it is too small in width and isnt comfortable to me. i have tried a few guitars what were bigger and they were pretty good but didnt know if they were what i was looking for. i would just like something a little heavier in weight, wider neck, a little better sound than the 3 pick ups i have on the fender, i do plan on getting a better amp soon but for now i have a small one, and im a little above a novice and ready to get better with electric.

hope that helps
Brands to try would be Schecter, Epiphone and LTD. See how those necks feel to you. Assuming you still use everything that came with your starter pack, $500 will basically put you in heaven from the amount of quality you'll get. Honestly, I'd split it $300/$200. Look for a guitar that is $300 or less that feels good to you and sounds good, and with the extra $200 you can order a Peavey ValveKing Royal 8. In the price range, that is easily the best amp you can buy. Also, don't just listen to me. Listen to what other people suggest, and try it all.
Of course if you only play at home, it doesn't matter what kind of an amp you use, as long as you can get some sounds out of your guitar. In that sense you might as well spend everything on a guitar. Still, the difference between a $300 and a $500 guitar aren't all that dramatic and neither are likely to be "the last guitar you'll ever buy" so if you do feel like you could use a better amp, by all means go with what Offworld92 said.