hey guys, iv finaly decided to take guitar to a more serious level and look at gradings etc. However iv found that with what i can do i dont know what to do about my guitar playing. iv been playing about a year now but most songs iv learnt have been the song minus the solos so i need some serious solo help. im absolutly USELESS at solos. i meen i can pull off the whole of 8/10 metallica songs/bullet for my valentine songs but just minus the solos
can anyone suggest songs that have easy solos? and what i can progress onto for slightly harder solos to build my skills up? dont worry about genres.

thanks
Last edited by no1matt at Dec 10, 2009,
ACDC - Shook Me All Night (I think its all G min pentatonic)
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (I can't remember the key but its minor pent)
Led Zep - Stairway (A min pent plus the odd F)

Break them down into phrases, and slow them down to whatever speed you can play them cleanly. Then gradually build them back up again. Don't worry about getting them up to speed - just focus on playing them accurately.

Edit: Listen to the original loads as well - its much much easier to learn to play them if you know what they're meant to sound like
Quote by zhilla

Break them down into phrases, and slow them down to whatever speed you can play them cleanly. Then gradually build them back up again. Don't worry about getting them up to speed - just focus on playing them accurately.

Absolutely
Quote by zhilla
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (I can't remember the key but its minor pent)

Uh, how can you not remember what key Nothing Else Matters is in?

It's Em.

Joe Satriani - Always with me, always with you might be a nice song to start soloing over as well
Quote by mylostspirit
Uh, how can you not remember what key Nothing Else Matters is in?

It's Em.

Joe Satriani - Always with me, always with you might be a nice song to start soloing over as well
lol I find it pretty easy to forget the key of something I haven't played for about a year But thanks for adding it
go for the Kirk Hammett or Dave Mustaine solos, they may be hard as $hi+ but they will help a ton! maybe some Paul Gillbert, he knows 100% about what he's talking about if you watch a video of him teaching you. But keep to you roots and your kind of music , just listen to a solo you like and go and learn it would be the best advice anyone can give you
Quote by metalliaking888
go for the Kirk Hammett or Dave Mustaine solos, they may be hard as $hi+ but they will help a ton! maybe some Paul Gillbert, he knows 100% about what he's talking about if you watch a video of him teaching you. But keep to you roots and your kind of music , just listen to a solo you like and go and learn it would be the best advice anyone can give you

No they won't - trying to learn something that's too hard is counter-productive, you end up wasting a disproportionate amount of time struggling to learn very little.

Starting easy is far more constructive - that way you actually have a goal you can achieve which leads you on to the next step.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There are also exersizes that you can do to improve your hammer-on's/pull-off's.

http://justinguitar.com/en/TE-001-FingerGym.php

This is a link to the "finger gym" exercise on Justin's website. The whole website is pretty good to be honest so you should flick through the techniques section at least.

Read the article (It's quite long, I know, but at least it's detailed right?)

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄