Hey all
I got my first Floyd Rose guitar yesterday and have done tonnes of research about how it all works , but i seem to be failing at a very simple step.
Im tuning it first with the tuning pegs (the locking nuts are off) , and once i've tuned one i move to the other , tune it. Then the string before has gone out of tune.
Is there an order or method to do the initial tuning?

Many thanks!
Regards , Zoof.
Quote by Zoofie
Hey all
I got my first Floyd Rose guitar yesterday and have done tonnes of research about how it all works , but i seem to be failing at a very simple step.
Im tuning it first with the tuning pegs (the locking nuts are off) , and once i've tuned one i move to the other , tune it. Then the string before has gone out of tune.
Is there an order or method to do the initial tuning?

Many thanks!
Regards , Zoof.

the thing is tightening one string will put less tension on the others, making them go flat. it usually takes a few times to get it to be proper.

I like the order of
Low E-HighE-A-B-D-G
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
welcome to the horror of tuning a FR for the first time

the first string goes out of tune, because when you tighten the second string, the bridge gets pulled further 'up'. because the bridge is further up, the tension on the first string gets reduced.

don't worry about tuning your strings to pitch right away..
instead, tune the first string up, close to where you think it should be (assuming you have an ok ear for pitches).
then tune up the second one, then first, then second, until they're in the right general pitch.

do the same with all the strings, then work on getting them in perfect tune.

..it's really a pain to set up a floyd-equipped guitar, but if you're gonna use it, it'll be worth the trouble in the end
I also stretch the strings after each tune until it stops going out of tune as I tune (arrrg, run on).
yeah, good luck with that, i had a FR explorer, the guitar itself i loved but i couldnt get over the fact that it took me like 4 hours to change strings/tune that shit..... never again will i own a FR guitar
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
I tune in this order:

1 2 5 6 4 3
E A D G b e

Seems to work really well, just leave the fine tuner on the high e out past half because if you're making minor adjustments to the tuning over time, the e will always go flat so you'll run out of tuner eventually.
Thanks very much
I also read that when setting action , spring tension etc its best to block the floating trem system.
2 questions about this :
1) Is it just to make it steadier?
2) How to block it , can you just use wood?

Thanks for your kind help!
It'll get easier with practice... when I first got one I couldn't work out what was happening but now I've got to a point where it isn't really anymore stressful than re-stringing a fixed bridge. Takes 5 may be 10 minutes longer to do but it isn't an issue...

You'll develop your own way of doing it with time.

Perseverance is the key... like most things guitar related.

Good luck

btw, search youtube...loads of lessons on how to re-string a FR
[