I'm trying to tune my electric guitar to drop D tuning but my E string keeps breaking when I do. I'm using the standard strings that came with the guitar..is this a problem? Because when i tune it the string gets really, really tight and im afraid its going to break and it ususally does...am i doing anythign wrong? and any tips?
Quote by Fish09
I'm trying to tune my electric guitar to drop D tuning but my E string keeps breaking when I do. I'm using the standard strings that came with the guitar..is this a problem? Because when i tune it the string gets really, really tight and im afraid its going to break and it ususally does...am i doing anythign wrong? and any tips?

Drop D tuning is going downwards, not upwards. If you go upwards you would be going up six steps instead of the downward one.
Yes you are. Youre tuning the string UP, which is really, really, REALLY bad. You need to tune the string down. Only one step down too, as opposed to the 7 steps up that you were trying to do.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
To clarify, when they say tune "upwards" they mean "make the string tighter"

And so to get Drop D, you need to tune "down" or make the string looser, which makes a lower sound.
Yeah what these guys have been explaining Drop D , Drop C , D Tuning , C tuning half step the most common tunings are tuning the string down not up. (im pretty sure the most you will tune up is if your playing slide)
Here's a tip for tuning to DROP D: Do a harmonic on the low E string on the 7th fret, then without stopping the harmonic on the E, do a harmonic on the A string, 12th fret, without stopping it. Then tune your low E down until the harmonics stop 'waving' or 'beating.' If the 'waves' get faster, go the opposite direction you were tuning. If it gets slower, your doing it right.

unless it says "tune up," like with the Half step UP tuning, will you tune past E standard. DROP, well, what happens when you DROP something? It falls, goes down, etc.

I had to post something in here, even though its been answered like 20 times.
Not gonna lie this was pretty dumb.

If you don't know how to DROP to D, maybe you shouldn't be going out of standard yet.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Drop D... DROP D... why do you think tuning up means drop? drop means to lower.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
you should never tune up your guitar from standard accept on the case of this

c......e
g......a
c.......d
g.......g
c........b
c........e

as you see here c resembles e and g resembles a and so on and so forth

the b sting is tuned up to c(which is scary to do)

i do think you should all try this tuning
it sounds amazing with bar chords and stumming them all open makes a WICKED sound!