Page 1 of 3
I shit you not. I bought the two dwarf hamsters from Pets at Home thinking they were brothers. The staff sexed them before I bought them and confirmed that they were both male.

I live with 9 other students and we keep the hamsters in the living room beneath the tv, so we were aware that one of the hamsters, Maurice, the bigger of the two brothers, was putting on a lot of weight. We also heard frantic squeeking coming from their hamster house so we presumed they were either gay and casually humping or were fighting in their nest.

It had been a week since their last go in the balls so I picked one out of the hamster wheel and placed it in one of the hamster balls. I couldn't see the other one so lifted the lid off the hamster house and saw 3 faces looking up at me!

"THERE ARE BABIES!"

I was the first thing they saw in daylight! One of them began to explore the hamster cage and the other, quite naturally, stayed in the nest. The two brothers that were both sexed as male have managed to produce offspring!

What should I do!?

I plan to take them to a vet, make sure they're okay, look for advice on perhaps separating the two "male" hamsters so they don't procreate again. I'll admit it's nice having a small hamster empire but I wasn't planning on a national hamster breeding operation when I, at Pets at Home, specifically asked for two males so they wouldn't breed!

I then plan to go into the pet shop with the adoption certificates stating that they were both male and demand a free cage for the male (Cyril) so he doesn't kill the 'babies' (given the amount of fur I expect they're a week or more old) and doesn't shag Maurice again.

Pics or it didn't happen? It did

look how small it is compared to the hamster wheel! he's perhaps two inches long (the adult dwarf hamster is about four inches)

Any other advice? I also don't want to handle them early on because the smell of me on the offspring could deter the parents from them.
Take photos and put them on the internet.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Sure those aren't your normal, male hamsters that have tapped into the secrets of the fountain of youth?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Obviously the "staff" have no experience at "sexting".
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I used to have those mini hamsters, they're so small the pet shop probably just guessed what sex they were.
The same thing happened to my cousin, but with rabbits. Me thinks that pet store workers don't know how to determine the sexes of animals.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
My sister's hamster had babies once. It bit their heads off one day. True story.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by the fendernator
the staff sexed them

*snicker*
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Quote by the fendernator
Any other advice? I also don't want to handle them early on because the smell of me on the offspring could deter the parents from them.

The gay parents adopted. I don't think that will be an issue.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by PhillyHendrix
Gay men rejoice?

lol'd
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Quote by SmElLy KiD
The same thing happened to my cousin, but with rabbits. Me thinks that pet store workers don't know how to determine the sexes of animals.

When I read that, I lol'd. Then I kept reading and got disappointed.
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Quote by KrlzGmz
When I read that, I lol'd. Then I kept reading and got disappointed.

Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Newsflash: One of them was female.

Thanks Sherlock... but the point was I bought them as two males specifically so they wouldn't breed, and I leave them alone for a week and babies hamsters have appeared.

Does my local pet shop need to give me some money or something? Compensation? Vouchers? I'd settle for letting me slap the member of staff who looked between their legs in the first place. They should have been sexed when they were born, when the pet shop aquired them and when they sold them to me. Apparently it was done wrong three times by, I guess, three different people.
lol congratulations on becoming a grandparent!

Don't forget to ask the vet if they can sex the babies, and how long you can leave them with their mom if they are boys - you don't want them to make her pregnant again lol

The vet should be able to tell you how soon you can safely handle them too - might be worth a phone call to find that one out

Edit: If you've got evidence the shop said they were both males I reckon they should at least give you a free cage, or even 2 depending on whether you can keep the babies with the parents when they grow up. They might just offer to take them off you tho so you better be prepared for a ... discussion.
Last edited by zhilla at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by 100%
THis is by far one of the best/funniest posts on the forum.

Union Jake is by far funnier than this.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by zhilla
Don't forget to ask the vet if they can sex the babies, and how long you can leave them with their mom if they are boys - you don't want them to make her pregnant again lol

The vet should be able to tell you how soon you can safely handle them too - might be worth a phone call to find that one out

Thanks, good post. I know I can't handle them within the first two weeks of them being born, but the problem is I'm not sure exactly when they were born! I completely missed the naked, blind and deaf baby hamster stage. One of them's scurrying about already!

I've been doing a bit of research and stumbled across this worrying statement:

With all dwarfs, there is always the possibility that the pair will mate again within a period as short as 24 hours after giving birth to a litter.

found here: http://www.hamsterific.com/BreedingDwarfs.cfm
Awwwwwww :3
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I want a pair of Lady Gaga hamsters!
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Quote by BruceWillisman
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i want a hamster! but not a magical gay one.

Dude, magical gay hamsters are the best ones!
Quote by Holy Katana
Dude, magical gay hamsters are the best ones!

Off-topic: I've seen two people Λ that on their sigs and avatars. What is that and where do I sign up for it?
Quote by deucedeucemr2

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
see now girls cant complain about guys "not knowing the pain of child birth"
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
You sir are like a hamster god.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Quote by KrlzGmz
Off-topic: I've seen two people Λ that on their sigs and avatars. What is that and where do I sign up for it?

Secret.
Quote by Holy Katana
Secret.

Quote by Dirge Humani
You must be seeing things sir.

NO!! I know it's there!!!!

Look!!!
Quote by deucedeucemr2

Quote by kstar22bassist

Quote by Venice King
Quote by KrlzGmz
NO!! I know it's there!!!!

Look!!!

I too demand some answers!
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by Jackal58
The gay parents adopted. I don't think that will be an issue.

HOLY SHIT IVE BEEN SIGGED!!!!!
Classical Guitarist
maybe they were both females?
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members