so im a more of a high gain death metal riffing kind of guy but i want to branch out. after listening to bands like opeth for so long im starting to want to incorporate some acoustic interludes and such. im just wondering if anyone has any tips. ive done plenty of little clean parts but never a full on acoustic strumming kinda thing. i guess i want to know how to transition between heavy and acoustic cleanly. i must sound like an idiot but i dont have very much experience with playing acoustic guitar, ive been playing straight up metal for 4 years and i dont know how to do anything else.
instead of using an acoustic guitar.. just transistion from a heavy guitar into a clean electric guitar.
for one i've noticed they keep both guitars in same tuning ie E standard, drop c, drop b. try starting with some arpeegios using major chords, such as arpegiatting a C chord or E minor while doing some scale work on acoustic. consider some gallopping on power chords. hope this helps.
What I do, and I've only begun at it, is play the chord progression of the heavy bit but arpegiatting the chords on the acoustic, and slow it down alot, if you understand. Say if u play :
5-3-0
5-3-0
5-3-0

on electric, play
--5------3
-5-5---3
5---5-3

etc on acoustic. Its only a start. Or move it down past the 12th fret, so on acoustic play fret 17 15 and 12 in that progression. That wont sound great, but just move it around, say D chord on a dropped tunned guitar

D:0
A:0
D:0

on acoustic do:

E
B-----3
G --2---2
D 0-------0
A
D

etc etc.
Quote by obeythepenguin
If you seriously want to branch out, take the time to get into some real acoustic playing -- not just death metal, but everything. Classical, folk, bluegrass perhaps, maybe a bit of rock like Jethro Tull or some of Pete Townshend's solo work. Put down your electric, and focus entirely on acoustic playing -- for a couple weeks, a month, however long it takes. It's quite a different instrument from an electric, so take the time to really develop your own acoustic style. Get some real experience with acoustic, is the gist of it. Then it should all come quite naturally to you.

yea thats kinda what im wanting to do, i dont want to learn acoustic death metal. i want to learn how to apply different acoustic techniques to it.
and im not a complete idiot, i understand that arpeggiating chords used in a song would work but isnt that a little obvious? i guess im trying to do something a bit more complex, sorry if i was being unclear. i dont want to play the same riff on a different guitar, i want to play a different piece that would flow with that riff
Quote by Goodtimes666
and im not a complete idiot, i understand that arpeggiating chords used in a song would work but isnt that a little obvious? i guess im trying to do something a bit more complex, sorry if i was being unclear. i dont want to play the same riff on a different guitar, i want to play a different piece that would flow with that riff

you gotta start somwhere