Page 1 of 3
Today in one of my classes, I started my presentation on Satanism, and for the Culture sction of the project, I talked about Hard Rock and Metal and the many bands being acused of practicing Satanism (and if anyone's aksin, yes...I know the difference between LaVeyan and Theistic Satanism)

I was just in the middle of talking about Ozzy and Sabbath when the bell rang, and the teacher (who is also a pastor, but far from a strict orthodox one) asked why Satan is such a strong ifluence on metal.

Now, as big a metal head I am, I honestly have never sat down to think of an answer, and short on time and on the spot, the best I could honestly come up with were to fit the darker, heavier sound of Metal and Hard Rock, and like what Kerry King says on the topic, Satan just makes for better songwriting than Jesus does, which I don't deny that for a sec.

So, I ask my fellow headbangers, What do you all think Satan's inspiration in metal comes from?

*NOTE* Yes, this is for a religion class, and no...I do NOT Want this to turn to an all out religious debate, this topic is simply something we all love and hold dear, Heavy ****in' Metal.
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
to show everyone how kvlt you are
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Well, basically it adds you cool points for being the rebel and the controversial dude.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I believe it actually has something to do with the tri tone, or the devils note. The movie Metal: A Headbanger's Journey explains it better.
It's basically like Chuck Norris.

Satan can do all the coolest thing (like Mr. Norris)

Jesus on the other hand, he did some alright junk in his days,
but I don't recall massive rock and metal jams being dedicated to him.
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Satan's Almighty Penis sound kvlter than Jesus's Almighty Penis
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
They may sound like a joke band but they really aren't that bad
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ

Im the devil I love METAL!!!
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Satan in music has its roots in blues, the story of the crossroads. Guy dissappears comes back a while later playing guitar like no-one has seen before, rumour has it the guy made a deal with the devil, after recording a few songs the guy dies in mysterious circumstances(poisoned i think).
Quote by magnum1117

Im the devil I love METAL!!!

I believe that its "I'm the metal" thank you very much.

But you have to admit, satan/demons/hell all offer more interesting, exciting material to write about. Its the same reason that people would usually prefer watching House on Haunted Hill over Teletubies (At least I would).
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
But you have to admit, satan/demons/hell all offer more interesting, exciting material to write about. Its the same reason that people would usually prefer watching House on Haunted Hill over Teletubies (At least I would).

Telletubbies are pretty gr1m.

Sumdeus
Quote by smartalec007
I believe that its "I'm the metal" thank you very much.

Is it really? :S
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Well since Heavy Metal signifies power a lot of the time, or something exciting (a powerful piece of music), be it shredding, heavy riffing, or a beautiful compilation of instruments, it can easily be related to having a darker force linked to it, due to its complexity and depth in comparison to the interpretation power of the typical mind.

Many people who aren't culturally adapted to being open to Metal think of us (metalheads) as crazy or suicidal (Giving stereotypes to anything that has a double bass beat...), and these can be considered as ways of Satan, or demonic possession or some random crap.

Since Satanism (and its related topics) is always fought by other churches and considered as something that has "powerful" or "tempting" ways, it can easily be linked to Metal.

Probably not the best analogy, but think of it like sex before marriage. Most religions are against that idea, and you are considered a sinner if you do so, however there is something mysteriously (not really mysterious, it's just nature, but in the eyes of priests...) powerful that drives us to want to engage in it anyway. In the same way, we enjoy speed, we enjoy the thrill, we enjoy the adrenaline, and so metalheads get that same effect out of Metal.

Thus, the mysteriousness (or epicness) of complex/fast/rebellious music is linked to "the darkest possible idea", which in this case would be Satanism.
Quote by romencer17
Telletubbies are pretty gr1m.

Teletubbies viewed in black and white while muted reminds me of Silent Hill
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by sam_brault
Is it really? :S

no, you were right.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by Cianyx
Teletubbies viewed in black and white while muted reminds me of Silent Hill

i gotta try that one day...

Sumdeus
Well Satan in the symbolic sense is used as a representation of sin, which leads to self-satisfaction. A kind of controlled self-ism results, which is in keeping with the ideologies of most metal artists.

Often Satan is used as a symbol for anti-religious sentiments, again in keeping with many metal artists. Behemoth, for example, are quite against organised religion, and use Satan as a representation of this.

Finally there is Satan on the theistic level. Few bands engage in this sort of belief, but one is Deathspell Omega, who are in my opinion the best black metal band out there. Here is an interview with them.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

metal is about power, rebellion, and expressing vitality, satan for many is an image or symbol of those things, in that bible book satan goes out of his way to be a BAMF by sticking his "throbbing life force" in gods face and gets to be the king of a big pit of fire and tortured souls because of it

wat dont u understand
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Metal isn't mainstream music so when you listen to it it is in a small way rebellion, this fits in with the whole satanic image which is a rebellion from the religions that a lot of people grew up in. For example Tom Araya from Slayer is a Catholic.
Originally Posted by neopowell
I'm perfectly capable of rating my own poo, I don't need a website to help me. I've devised strict criteria based on texture, smell, ease of passing and numerous other factors. It's even colour-coded.

ಠ_ಠ
it's just because it's fun to sing about. when i write lyrics they are usually more on the satanic / occult / drugs side of things, even though i'm a pagan who's far more into drinking than drugs.

+ it fits the music.

i doubt bands like sabbath and slayer where saying "well, satanism represents sin and excess, so lets sing about that." they were just saying "hey, there's some cool lyrics."
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
It varies from band to band really.Satanism is about thinking for yourself which alot of bands can relate to.Some are deeply interested in the occult which shows in their lyrics..Then you got morons like Glen Benton however.For some it's merely shock value (lame) yet for some it is their beleif in what seems to be right for them.Alot of bands are just condeming religion due to the bullshit it causes and that is often tied with Satanism,which is rediculous.The actual sound of the music is the opisite of what most religious people would consider nice.It is chaotic and dark,again tied with Satan.Alot of artists see Satan as a leader and free thinker which could be seen as the oppisite of the religious sheep.Basically,no one should be making rules on how to live YOUR life and metal artists express this beleif.

It is alot deeper than just being "bad ass".
Black Sabbath were pretty spiritual when they started and they wrote songs warning about the dangers of the occult. Bands like Venom and Slayer I think, were doing something different, writing satanic lyrics for shock, or because they sound "cool".
Quote by Athabasca
Well Satan in the symbolic sense is used as a representation of sin, which leads to self-satisfaction. A kind of controlled self-ism results, which is in keeping with the ideologies of most metal artists.

Often Satan is used as a symbol for anti-religious sentiments, again in keeping with many metal artists. Behemoth, for example, are quite against organised religion, and use Satan as a representation of this.

Finally there is Satan on the theistic level. Few bands engage in this sort of belief, but one is Deathspell Omega, who are in my opinion the best black metal band out there. Here is an interview with them.

This. Except for the part about Deathspell Omega, because the best black metal out there is obviously Burzum.
I'm pretty sure all the philosophical theories about BM is just an afterthought. I don't think hellhammer and Venom cared to think that deeply about their music.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Satan has a certain mystique built around him in Western culture. The people making metal were probably morbidly fascinated by such a figure after growing up with Christianity being the norm around them.

In a sense, I feel it started more as a statement against status quo. Some take it more seriously. As an atheist looking at theistic satanism, I can see one appeal to Satan: Satan is a religion of power and elitism, Christianity builds itself as a shelter for the weak. Which would you rather have? Faith in your own power, or faith in a false power masquerading as a shelter for the meek?
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Dec 11, 2009,
Lucifer in man is man's natural desire for rebellion. Metal and rock was founded around the idea of rebellion. So now metal + Lucifer (I'll leave 'Satan' for the humanistic pieces of shit Lavey followers) just seems the norm as it has been in tandem for decades.
Shadilay.
Quote by webbtje
Time to be festive and wonder what Santa's influence has been.

Crappy Christmas-time metal albums and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra murdering Savatage. **** Santa.
Woe to you on earth and sea for Santa sends his gifts with wrath, for he knows the time is short, let him hath understanding who uses credit for these gifts, for it is a human number,its number is $6.66
Shadilay.
Satan's Fall is the greatest song ever.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by AzureNight
This. Except for the part about Deathspell Omega, because the best black metal out there is obviously Burzum.

Burrrrzum.

Lol. Seriously DsO's newer stuff is utterly groundbreaking though. Si Monvmentvm onwards is flawless.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Often-chaotic and dissonant nature of metal generally is an antithesis to ordered and harmonious church music. As a genre of standing against the prevalent institutions, and as a genre that promotes individualism metal and Satanism share common ground.

This is apart from the gimmickry and theatrics that are part of any entertainment type.

Everything else has already been said really

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
He has better weed than Jesus.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Page 1 of 3