I have just started to learn to sing. Although I mainly listen to metal, I prefer singing rock stuff, like Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith and the White Stripes. I don't have the money/time for a vocal trainer with school and everything, so will just singing everyday be enough to improve. Even after about a week of practice now, I feel a lot more confident, and I can already express myself a little better. I would consider my voice average overall.
Have you got any suggestions for simple songs to sing/play along with?
Could you give us a rough range of your voice, say compare it to another singers? And/or can you transpose songs to another key if they're not in your range?

Rock can be tough to sing, especially at first. A good band to start with would be Green Day. Simple lyrics, easy notes. 21 Guns and Boulevard of Broken Dreams come to mind.
Quote by Mekchrious
Could you give us a rough range of your voice, say compare it to another singers? And/or can you transpose songs to another key if they're not in your range?

Rock can be tough to sing, especially at first. A good band to start with would be Green Day. Simple lyrics, easy notes. 21 Guns and Boulevard of Broken Dreams come to mind.

I don't really think 21 guns would work, as the change to falsetto is very quick with no pause.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
yes you need to give us a range

Sit down infront of your piano and start one octive below the middle c (on my keyboard atleast tthats wherei start) Then play the notes includeing the flatts, saying NAAAAY. Do it till your voice resonates, or matches with the note being played. Keep on going and tell us how far you can go. Dont strain yourself, vocal range is determinded with your comfort zone when doing this

Si
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
greenday is a great place to start. I'm in the same situation as you right now. Don't have a teacher or time to get proper lessons or an instructor so am just practicing myself.

Good Riddance is a pretty easy song by them, I ended up dropping everything half a step for myself. A lot easier for me to hit the notes that way.
Quote by osXtiger
I don't really think 21 guns would work, as the change to falsetto is very quick with no pause.

As far as falsetto goes, 21 Guns is really easy.

In the 'One, Twenty one guns' line you just go from (off the top of my head) F4 up the octave to F5 in terms of piano notes.

I know what is not very well explained. But if you try playing the melody on a guitar or piano you will see exactly what I am saying.
It depends on what kind of voice you have, but me personally would recommend I'm Yours from Jason Mraz