heyy im new with the guitar but my granpa and step dad are really good and inspired me to pick it up.

ive been playing for a couple of months but i feel like im stuck. i can play some basic chords n stuff but i cant really play tabs cause i have a hard time with the strumming and picking of some songs..and i still need to learn more about the chords and different finger positions.

i was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to take my guitar playing to the next level and some practice techniques that i can try. thanks.

- bujwah
Quote by bujwah
heyy im new with the guitar but my granpa and step dad are really good and inspired me to pick it up.

ive been playing for a couple of months but i feel like im stuck. i can play some basic chords n stuff but i cant really play tabs cause i have a hard time with the strumming and picking of some songs..and i still need to learn more about the chords and different finger positions.

i was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to take my guitar playing to the next level and some practice techniques that i can try. thanks.

- bujwah

Go slow. Make sure you know what you know - resist the urge to get things quickly. If you strive on going slow and accurately then you are programming your brain to understand and learn the piece better. Remember the brain is always rolling tape, and it makes no distinction between what you are doing right or wrong, its just trying to learn it.

If you make a mistake, see it as a sign that your brain doesnt understand it yet. Even if its a 2 note fragment, practice only that until that issue is settled and its so easy its almost boring.

Break large pieces into smaller ones when learning. If you try it all at once, then youll begin to develop a lazy habit and your quickly turn into a sloppy player - slop = impatience.

Since you have no teacher, you have to discipline yourself - no ones gonna tell you to pick a certain way and correct you, so you have to make sure you proceed as if you are your own teacher, making sure you go slow enough to think about each step as you are doing it.