Page 1 of 3
for some reason i sold all of my effects pedals earlier this year. i kind of regret it. especially the Boss NS2 (i'm one of the strange ones who liked it better than the isp which i also had), and my vox wah pedal. i tried the wah only once with my current setup but it didn't work like it did the last time i used it with my previous rig.
i really didn't have much else. oh yeah, i also had a mxr carbon copy. didn't like it too much. i guess i'm more of a digital dude. cuz i really liked my Boss DD-3. but i some how broke it. i opened up the back and all of the guts kind of sprang out like a jack-in-the-box. didn't work when i put it all back together.
I actually play acoustic a lot for learning something new but then I turn on my vox and throw on the fun ^^
"Wipe ur lip, I see some ass on there..."

"A guitar is only good in the hands of a good guitarist...unless it's a REALLY sexy guitar..."
There are a lot of times where I just run a dry guitar signal into my amp... no effects or OD anywhere in sight.

and the point of this thread is........?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 10, 2009,
I don't use any effects when I play. The only effects pedal I own is a wah and I barely ever plug it in, much less use it. Two reasons:

1 - effects are a HUGE waste of money, something I do not have
2 - I don't gig or record, so there is really no need.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
rarely do I use any pedals at all....the only one I do use is a Voo Doo Sparkle Drive, but when I use it, I set it and forget it. It just makes my shitty amp sound a little better. Pedals are overrated.
I plug my guitar straight into the amp often, mainly because the only guitar pedal I have is a POS. I do plan on buying some effects in the future now that I've got a good amp.
Guitar----------->TS9-------->NS2----------------->Bugera 6262 lead channel

both pedals click on and just leave
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 10, 2009,
I run straight into my amp, I hardly ever even use my reverb.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by kakos
Guitar----------->TS9-------->NS2----------------->Bugera 6262 lead channel

both pedals click on and just leave

i found it worked best as the first effect in the fx loop. and have your time-modulation devices go after
Quote by PatheticMedic
I don't use any effects when I play. The only effects pedal I own is a wah and I barely ever plug it in, much less use it. Two reasons:

1 - effects are a HUGE waste of money, something I do not have
2 - I don't gig or record, so there is really no need.

1. How are they a waste of money if they greatly expand the potential of sounds a guitarist can make?

2. Personal choice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
on my country rig I just plug right into the amp (well a tuner pedal)...used to run an OD and a compressor...but don't really use either one so I just leave them in my bag most of the time.
I sometimes use a Boss chorus ensemble, but mostly just the distortion in my amp... Because i can't afford any more pedals

my axe: Jackson DK2M
Quote by sethp
i found it worked best as the first effect in the fx loop. and have your time-modulation devices go after

TS9 tubescreamer in a FX loop ?

wait... none of my pedals are Time Modulated...

ones a OD pedal and ones a Noise Supressor
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
1. How are they a waste of money if they greatly expand the potential of sounds a guitarist can make?

2. Personal choice.

1. I have NO money, when I say NO I mean absolutely nothing. Not a dollar to my name.

2. College student, have more important things on my mind.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Quote by Raijouta

If he has no use for the effects, then it'd be a waste of money for him.

For example if a 5150 address all his tonal needs, then having pedals would be a waste of money for him.

Having a wider palette of sounds to work due to the presence of pedals with isn't always beneficial or necessary.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I run straight, because I love the sound I've got that danged much. Hell, I was originally looking at a delay or a reverb, but it just doesn't feel like something I want. I love the tone, and even if the pedals wouldn't color it, it'd just be a pointless exercise. By and large, the audience doesn't notice most of these things if it sounds good, and it only really matters if I think it does. I just don't want a pedal =P

Note, I'm not some dry=ultimate purist. I just honestly have no need for a pedal right now.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
I've always felt that the more pedals between the guitar and amp, the less feel the amp has, and the less playable it becomes... I could just be crazy though... But even with true bypass stuff I feel some sustain and tonal clarity is lost....
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
cant live without them....nothing like a good delay or chorus to spice up the sound...

and if playing guitar is for fun, then hell yeah, pedals are fun.
My rig is just Strat -> Maxon OD9 -> Fender Blues Jr.

I'm planning on getting a vox wah eventually but I've got better uses for my money considering I don't think I'd use it that much.
Well I look at it like this.........the more tone and sound options I have to work with, then the better! I mean, I do this for fun as a hobby and it is the only hobby that I have passion about. I like to record my own music and experiment so the more options I have laying around, the better like I said. To each, his or her own!
i have a combo amp so i have 20 pedals!
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Pedals are lots of money, but I like to have fun with it, make some cool sounds. Recording or not.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I feel like a gear *****, this is what i run.

Schecter C-1 Classic > EHX Screaming Bird Treble Booster > EHX Memory Boy > Crybaby Classic Wah > Planet Wave Tuner > EHX Big Muff > Carvin AB-1 Switcher > Channel 1: Custom Made 1/4 watt combo, Channel 2: Empty (Custom Made 3 watt combo soon).

I know the tuner is in a weird place, i'm moving it to the front soon.

I'm also possible getting a EHX Holy Grail Reverb soon ($40!) and a Compressor (MXR Dyna Comp?).

I have a few other weird pedals on my list in the future for when i don't "need". Such as zvex fuzz factory, digitech harmony man, digitech whammy, acoustic simulator (Boss?), MXR Bluebox, etc.

I also have another small lead amp in mind eventually, a custom made Bogner Ecstasy Red Channel combo (1/4 - 5 watts).
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
I have two pedals. One of the very first Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde pedals and a MXR Phase 90. The only pedal I ever use is the Jekyll and Hyde.
well the only real effects i have are a tubescreamer and a delay. the ts usually only get used for a bluesy grit on the clean channel, or ill use it to boost the lead channel if im feeling in the mood for it. the delay is almost only used on the clean channel. the other pedals i have are a tuner and noise gate. im about to get a rverb though. itll probbaly have the same situation as the delay
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I run no pedals right now, but maybe in the next few months I'll get a volume and clean boost. The only thing i need is for a button to make my amp more or less "rawr".
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
i jus own a distortion pedal, i think it all depends on how is ur music taste like, i coudln't live without my precious ML-2, i'm a metalhead, so playing without distortion is quite boring for me, ppl who likes rock or something lighter like jazz, won't care too much for effects i think, if u r a guy who si more on the experimental side, then it'll be quite important to have effects, check out on youtube "weird guitar noises" and "effectology"
Quote by Phantom123
I run straight, because I love the sound I've got that danged much. Hell, I was originally looking at a delay or a reverb, but it just doesn't feel like something I want. I love the tone, and even if the pedals wouldn't color it, it'd just be a pointless exercise. By and large, the audience doesn't notice most of these things if it sounds good, and it only really matters if I think it does. I just don't want a pedal =P

Note, I'm not some dry=ultimate purist. I just honestly have no need for a pedal right now.

You have it the wrong way around. The audience generally won't notice "great tone", but they will very much notice clever and pleasant use of effects.
When I play with my friend's band I mic up his CeriaTone Lead and Bass 20 and run straight into the amp for AC/DC covers. That's about the only time I run without some kind of effect, boost, overdrive, or distortion.
I occasionally use an overdrive and the built in reverb of an amp if that counts.

That's it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a Zoom G1J Pedal that I currently use. Im going to buy a Digitech Grunge and Dunlop Crybaby with my Christmas cash and Im going to depend on those two for live shows. The G1J will only be used for tuning,reverb,booster,noise canceller and some weird ass effects that I rarely use
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
i love pedals. the more the merrier. it may sound materialistic but new pedals always make me play something new.
I sometimes go straight from my bass to my amp, but if I had the money I'd have 4 or so fuzz pedals for it.
Nah I used to use mine a bunch but now I prefer the pure guitar->amp sound.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I like to keep it simple. More often than not, I use the amp's reverb, but that's as far as I go with effects. I use OD/distortion, but it all comes from the amp. The main reason behind is because... well, I don't actually own any pedals.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Page 1 of 3