Before I ask my question, yes, I can do triplets. My problem is that I always have a pause after I do a triplet. Does that make sense? It would be easier to understand if you heard it. Let's say, I can't do a continuous string of opens, throw in a triplet, and keep it going smoothly. There's always a small pause after the triplet. Any advice on how to fix this?
If I understand you correctly, you aren't giving each note the same duration.

Try tapping your foot with ever note. Slow it down if you have to.

So, you're going to be counting in 3/4 now. Once you get that, only tap your foot on beat one. Still think as if you're in 3/4, but just don't tap your foot as often. Work on this, and speed it up as you become more comfortable with the feel of three notes, until you are eventually playing triplets at your desired tempo.

Then once you can do triplets at your tempo, work on going back and forth between duples and triplets. Try this.

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
x___x___x___x___x__x_x__x__x_x

Now of course, the spacing is off a bit, but you get the idea.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Okay, first, do you mean an actual triplet, three equal notes in one beat (tri-pul-let- ex: Laid to Rest) or a galloping triplet (duh duh-duh-duh- ex: Run to the Hills, countless Metal songs)? I'll assume you're talking about galloping triplets. What I do is a DUD strum pattern for all my galloping triplets, so when I add one in to a downstrum strain it's more just a matter of me adding in that upstrum.

If you're talking about actual triplets, then listen to food1010. So confusing nowadays
Thank you Food1010 I'll try that out.

And I'm talking about triplets like in Six by all the remains.
Those aren't triplets in the song, those are gallops. 2 sixteenth notes followed by one eighth. So in reality there should be a slight pause then back to chugging.
Practice it slow... also a video would be helpful, or even audio.
try it with a metronome that has triplet beat. I learned it by saying it aloud as i play it.

try saying: Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et

and try:
e|| -----5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--
As you play the notes, try counting the timing by saying "1 and a, 2 and a, 3 and a, 4 and a", or something similar.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by MidniteHaze
try it with a metronome that has triplet beat. I learned it by saying it aloud as i play it.

try saying: Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et Tri-pl-et

and try:
e|| -----5-7-8--5-7-8--5-7-8--

Quote by Iriathz
As you play the notes, try counting the timing by saying "1 and a, 2 and a, 3 and a, 4 and a", or something similar.

He had his terminology mixed up. He isn't playing triplets, he's playing gallops and reverse gallops.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
He had his terminology mixed up. He isn't playing triplets, he's playing gallops and reverse gallops.

Ooh.
In that case, he could try saying stuff like: "Tee-ticka, tee-ticka, etc".
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE