I have an Ibanez RG2EX1 and Ibanez S470DXQM guitar and here are my questions:

1) What are the stock strings (brand, gauge) that the Ibanez RG2EX1 come with? How the hell is anyone supposed to know this?

2) What are the stock strings (brand gauge) that the Ibanez S470DXQM come with? How the hell is anyone supposed to know this?

3) Let's assume that the RG2EX1 comes with 9 gauge strings...I read that if you put a different gauge on (let's say 10 gauge) that you need to reset the bridge and all this fancy crap that I have no clue about. I swear, it's never as simple as it seems. I thought you just picked the strings you wanted, and strung em' up. Guess not. So, is this true?

4) If it is true, does this mean that if you're not someone who feels confident in potential jacking up their guitar that you need to go to a guitar store to have them to a proper setup?

5) Once they setup the guitar with the string gauge you want, let's say 9's, does this mean that when I want to change strings to another pair of 9's I can do the string replacement on my own because the setup is already done?

6) What if I choose another brand of 9 gauge strings. Could they be different from other 9's and would require me to go back to the guitar shop? Basically, am I going to have to pay 40-50 bucks a lot of times I simply want my fricking strings changed?

7) The S470DXQM ZR thing is basically a floyd rose, so I have no idea how to do a string change on that or whatever even after reading the the sticky and watching videos on YouTube. I've just never been good with stuff like that and definitely do not trust myself at all. Does this mean that every time I need a string change on my ZR that I need to take it in or once they set it up for the first time, can I simply do the string change myself without worrying about any fancy little extra modifications that need to be done?

8) How long does it usually take for a guitar shop to do a setup or crap like that? Can you ever sit and wait or does it take one or two days or what?

--

I think that's about it for now. I would seriously appreciate it so much if all these questions were answered because I don't know where else to turn and hence created an account on this forum. I hope I didn't mess up my RG2EX1 cause the stock strings started sounding crappy so I put on new strings (10 gauge), but perhaps the stock strings were 9 gauge or something. I don't know. I just want to be able to play my fricking guitar.
Last edited by smon2pro at Dec 10, 2009,
#1 & #2- usually most guitars come factory standard with .9-.42 i think it it, or maybe .9-.46.. one of the two

#3- if you put a heavier gauge string on you will have to adjust the bridge as there will be more tension pulling it up, but it won't be a major adjustment as it isn't a major change.

#4- if you do not feel confident setting it up take it to a guitar store. there are tons of instructions on these forums and all over google that say how to do it.

#5- When if first bought my schecter damien floyd rose, it had .10-.46 dunlops already on it, i replaced them with the exact same (restrung myself) and i didn't need to re-set it up. unless your really picky i wouldn't worry about setting it up if you are re-stringing it with the same gauge. unless your inotation/action needs to be adjusted.

#6-I would ask the guitar tech if he could show you how to set it up, it would help. mine did that and i will do it if it's a small adjustment, but a big one i will take to them. now for the brand part, you might need to change it, you might not to. i'd ask a different UG member about this part.

#7- Like #6, take it to a professional of any kind, ask him if he can show you how to do it. it really isn't hard after the first or second time. just make sure you don't take all the strings off at once.lol.

#8- Depends how busy they are really, if there not busy, maybe an hour, or a lill less. there busy, you could be waiting a week or two. my first time it took me 2 hours. so i'd say around 1 hour, 40 minutes, this including the setup and everything..

don't take my word on all of this as i could be wrong, but i'm just trying to help and put in my input.
i cant say this enough.
until you get the hang of a trem, floyd, really any guitar...

BRACE THE BRIDGE. DONT TAKE ALL THE STRINGS OFF AT ONCE.

so swap a string at a time, stick with 9s or 10s. secure the bridge and balance it again after.

there's a Floyd setup at the top of the page for questions.

always open.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The RG2EX1 is a fixed bridge guitar, it won't matter what string gauge you restring it with.

As for changing strings on the S470, the ZR bridge is actually very easy to change strings on.
If you look at the rear of the saddle (facing the fine tuners), there is a place for an allen wrench.
So here's what you would do:
1) Unlock the locking nut.
2) Loosen/Clip the string off the tuning beg.
3) Loosen the place for the allen wrench mentioned above.

The string will come right out of the saddle then.
All you have to do now is:
1) Clip the ball off the end of the string.
2) Insert the end that you clipped in to the hole in the saddle and tighten the saddle back down.
3) Put the string through the nut and under the retainer bar, then into the tuning peg and tune up.

Then just make the necessary adjustments to the wheel in the back to make the bridge level, stretch your strings all the way, and retune before locking the nut again.
Hope this helps.
Tons of good deals on Harmony Central and Sevenstring.org.
Last edited by BryanFTWL at Dec 10, 2009,
^string gauge changes the overall setup of a guitar.

even if the bridge can be locked.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
^string gauge changes the overall setup of a guitar.

even if the bridge can be locked.

I used to have an RG3EX1 which is the same as the RG2EX1 but with a nicer top and inlays. I went from .09's to .11's with it and it was still perfectly set up.
I checked the intonation and truss rod, it was the same.
Tons of good deals on Harmony Central and Sevenstring.org.
your guitar is not setup anything like his.

you don't know how a gauge change will affect his guitar.
so it's best not to write blanket statements like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have a fixed bridge Ibanez as well, and changing strings alone to a different brand with the same gauge changed the intonation, although action and everything else was fine.

Fixed bridge Ibanez RG's come with 10 - 46, trems come with 9 - 42.
Some guitars are different when it comes to these kind of things, I know with the hardtail you can slap any guage up to .11's of any brand without any adjusting and you will be perfectly fine and will still be innotated perfectly and have the same exact action, as long as their standard sets of strings, like standard super light(.09), standard light(.10), standard medium(.11), etc.

As for the double locking trem guitar, I have no clue, I hate double locking trems, their a pain in the ass to deal with, especially for string changes and changing tunings(which I do often).
Quote by BryanFTWL

These responses are always great, how dare someone have a different experience than you!
my ibanez came with d'addario .9's

i think thats what they use on most of their stock guitars