Hi. Just recently picked up a guitar and trying to learn how to play. I bought a electric tuner, a Cort E205 http://img.ibiubi.com.br/%2F200904%2F03%2Fprodutos%2F25%2F74251%2Fnh4d0db2.122_grande.jpg I'm trying to tune the guitar as it was a display model and defiantly not in tune as is.

My problem is that when i pluck the first string, the light indicating what note is being played is showing up between the F and G on the device (refer to pic). Should that first string (top, thickest) not be E? Does that mean I have to tune each string so that they correspond to the EADGBE?

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if my terminology is off.
yes, the top string should be an E. You will have to make sure the notes are EADGBe, you got that right. You will have to lower the note played from a F# to an E.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by Heylo12
yes, the top string should be an E. You will have to make sure the notes are EADGBe, you got that right. You will have to lower the note played from a F# to an E.

Ok just to clarify, because I dont want to damage anything by doing something wrong.
On my tuner (in the picture) EADBGD all have a corresponding number underneath it in the 'guitar' line. Currently, when I strum my low-E key (top string, thickest) my tuner indicates that its between the F and G. I need to change it so its right on the E indication, correct?