So i've owned a few guitars, and all of them have been made by well-known manufacturers (i.e. fender, gibson etc.) and want to try something new for a change. I want to get a high-quality guitar that people haven't heard of before(sort of like a conversation piece at jam sessions). I've looked at a few, such as Hagstrom, Reverend Buckshot or Dingwall. I'd also prefer to buy them online because I've looked around my area and can't find a brick and mortar dealer. Who here buys these kinds of guitar, and which websites sell them?
I own a few different Agile guitars...and they are great guitars. They're pretty well known here on UG (as are Hagstrom)...but most people haven't heard of them.
Both Hagstrom and Reverend guitars are great companies and are perhaps even better than any of the "well-known" manufacturers that you listed.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I have a Douglas six-string fretless bass. I haven't had a problem with it yet. For $200, I was amazed with the quality.
i agree with whoever said hagstrom. hadnt heard of it in my life but my friend let me play his and i fell in love with it.
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Burns! Buy Burns!
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Univox Hi-Fliers, Mosrites, Danelectros,Wandres, Airline, and National are some you could look into.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Quote by SpockTheRock
Univox Hi-Fliers, Mosrites, Danelectros,Wandres, Airline, and National are some you could look into.

Lower end Danelectros don't look so great though
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Cort, US Masters, Carvin, Charvel maybe?, Or a Custom warmoth. I didnt hear about any of them until This site!
Godin guitars!
They are awesome, and even their lowest end models(500$-ish) are made in Canada, not in Mexico, China or wathever and are great, way better than anything of the same price from a big company like Fender and such. I love mine, you can buy them at Musician's Friend
Quote by eyebanez333
I own a few different Agile guitars...and they are great guitars. They're pretty well known here on UG (as are Hagstrom)...but most people haven't heard of them.

I have an Agile AL-2500 and it's great.

I plan on buying more Agiles in the future. After seeing the quality of these guitars, spending money on something just because it has a popular brand name on it seems really petty to me. I'll stick with my knock-offs.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Hagstrom FTW! I have a ultra swede and it plays better than life. I'd check into those if I were ye, coil taps and the most bitchin neck ever? its nice
i have noticed that there are some really nice custom brands out there such as high end first act. or cort. i have noticed that everyone ends up come back to the gibys or fender eventually. its not worth the money
Two marshall DSL100's
two marshall 1960 cabinets
Ibanez ts9
boss ns-2
korg pitchblack tuner
ESP ltd EC-400 gold top
Esp lts H-1001 purple
I'm contributing to Agile recommendations. www.rondomusic.com
I have a honey sunburst Les Paul, and it's beautiful. It could do for some really nice pups to get the most out of it, which i'll do one day, as well as coil splitting like i did in my SG. These are great guitars that will rival higher end mass produced ones. I'm really wanting to get a Reaper model or maybe a superstrat model next...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
There was a no-name Japanese Jazz bass copy at a local store a couple of weeks ago. I was dead-set on buying it, but someone got there first.
It felt great, looked great, sounded great, even though it wasn't a Fender. I probably wouldn't trust a Chinese no-name guitar, though.
My favourite guitar is one i had custom built for me by a master luthier. There's nothing quite like having a guitar built expressly to your own needs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a Fame the Paul gothic, cost me about 600 euros and its handmade in Poland, alder body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, AlnicoII pickups and a solid black matte finish with cream binding, that machine is Awsome,and the feel is.....godly. Really, a Standard LP doesnt sound or feels the same, Alder boldy is really surprising for 4,5 kg of les paul
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
that does sound like a pretty nice guitar but i dunno if i'd want an LP made of alder...my experience with alder is that it feels really light, REALLY light, like the kind of light that i can literally break the body in half using my hands alone...i'd be scared using it lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
this guitar is particulary heavy.... more than my back can bear, but the tone is AWSOME, not light at all, and full lp thickness, so.... if you want a pic to see it
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
I've put some money towards a reverend club king HB. Should be getting it around january.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by Sguit
Godin guitars!
They are awesome, and even their lowest end models(500$-ish) are made in Canada, not in Mexico, China or wathever and are great, way better than anything of the same price from a big company like Fender and such. I love mine, you can buy them at Musician's Friend

+1

Godin, Tokai, Hagstrom all = win.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Sorry to spoil the fun but Godin, Reverend, Hagstrom, Carvin, Charvel, and Warmoth are actually all fairly common brands - maybe not as well known as say Fender or Gibson, but there are professional touring guitarists that play those brands.
Why not have a browse around the TC Ellis site and get him to make you something? Not only rare at the moment but comparatively inexpensive for what you get. He's just done the 'Debbie' series of Les Pauls with Maple necks and BKP pickups to give you an idea. There's gorgeous Strats with Maple capped Mahogany bodies and EMG pups. Really, you name it. He is a guitar maniac and I suspect his heart is in traditional or exotic wood combinations. Not sure how he'd react if you ask for Basswood or Nato or the like.

Another UK maker is Gordon Smith. Several stock designs that are not the usual copies. Or if your wallet is aching, Whitstable Guitars has a Pack Leader that he might be parted from. Only about 70 were made. I owned one and they certainly turn heads where guitarists gather. They sound pretty wonderful too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I got mine from guitarfetish.com it's a Xaviere XV-500 and I simply think it's wonderful- and it was about $ 200 US with a hard case included. You can even shop for blem models they have. They have Gibson LP copies, Fender Strat copies, Fender tele copies, ES-330 copies, and they are on YouTube if you want to get a look at how they go. I love mine, the pickups are pretty decent too.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Nice quited tops and inlays........decent price.

http://www.ravenwestguitar.com/
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Quote by slash_rocks2005
that does sound like a pretty nice guitar but i dunno if i'd want an LP made of alder...my experience with alder is that it feels really light, REALLY light, like the kind of light that i can literally break the body in half using my hands alone...i'd be scared using it lol

??
My Jaguar is made of alder, and it weighs a ton.
^i'm not claiming to know much about alder bodies lol, i'm just saying the two i've played at shops were alder, but i guess they were prolly made to be super lightweight...i know one was an ESP (or was it LTD? whichever is the sub-brand) Viper and it was flat black....but the feather-like weight scared me away from it for sure
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
They might slightly hard to get, but I'd recommend you to check out Michael Kelly's.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay