Page 1 of 2
So, my brother can't hook up his XBox to any TV in our house but the one in the livingroom, and he and my step-dad have no problem with playing their M-rated games in front of my seven year-old brother. The afore-mentioned brother has recently developed a fixation with bloodshed and killing- he draws pictures of himself and labels them "The Blood Man" and loves watching the people dismembered and maimed in the video games. He says it's "awesome".

I can't help but find this horribly jacked-up. I love Assassin's Creed, but this is just irresponsible and wrong. It's most likely just a phase that'll vanish as he matures, but it could also lead to problems later; we all know "that guy" who never figured it out as he got older, the one who pretends to kill his friends with make-believe shotguns*. I don't think a child should be exposed to that kind of violence. They can't correlate it with real life, they don't understand what's happening to that person or why.

How do you feel about young children being exposed to violence? This is not a thread about violence in video games or the rating system, the articles in question are appropriately rated, legally it's the parent's decision whether or not their kid can watch them. This thread applies to any media outlet, video games, movies, etc.

Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Why is Seth Rogen in this thread?
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Pretty. Odd.

Just talk to your little brother about it if that doesn't work then hit him. But be careful he could be dangerous.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

I watched the 1978 version of Dawn Of the Dead when I was 4 years old. Things like violence and gore will desensitize you, but not in turn make you violent.
Last edited by Piscasis at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by Dirge Humani
Parents should use good judgement and common sense. Unfortunately, neither of those are very common any more.

+1
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Children raised in warzones are exposed to violence. Children playing video games? Maby not so much.
Last edited by crazymofo at Dec 10, 2009,
Rating systems are there for a good reason. It is not a good idea to expose you children to large amounts of violence.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
It's all about the parents man, it has nothing to do with video games or culture, it's lazy irresponsible parents.
Quite off topic but, have you ever noticed how words, body parts, and "innapropriate" scenes are censored, but you can probably see channel after channel of violence without a problem?
Quote by Piscasis
I watched the 1978 version of Dawn Of the Dead when I was 4 years old. It will desensitize you, but not in turn make you violent.

No, but being desensitized to violence isn't good either. Remember back when that black kid was murdered on camera and everybody was just standing around watching?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by crazymofo
Children raised in warzones are exposed to violence. Children playing video games are not.

+1
Video games are not real. No matter how much violence is shown in them, it's all fake. This is why I don't think violence in video games (or movies, for the same reasons) is a problem, as long as the person playing the games (or watching the movies) understands that. The issue here is that it's a seven year old. At that age, kids may not realize the differences between reality and fantasy, and that may impact them later. My brother has a friend who's around 12 and is always talking about blood and killing and joining the army, and stuff like that, but he's young, so you'd expect it to just be a phase and that he'll grow out of it. But I have a friend who acted in pretty much the same way, and now, at age 16, still acts that way, so it must leave some sort of lasting impact on them. So unless you have a really awesome kid who can fully understand that the violence they see in video games is not real, and that real violence should be avoided, then it's probably best to wait until they're at least in their teens to start letting them see violence in movies and video games.

That ended up being a lot longer than I expected...

Tl;dr version: Violence in video games isn't bad, but it's probably a good idea not to let kids see it until they're mature enough to understand that it isn't real.
Quote by StewieSwan
No, but being desensitized to violence isn't good either. Remember back when that black kid was murdered on camera and everybody was just standing around watching?

Thats usually not the cause for a lack of action in the case of violence, its usually fear. I've been desensitized but I wouldn't just see someone getting killed and not care, morals come into play still.
I had an argument about this earlier, though more pertaining to the whole sex versus violence on American television. I don't think violence in media desensitizes anyone; quite the opposite really. Granted, seeing violent acts indirectly does prepare you somewhat to react appropriately to certain situations, I don't think manufactured violence ever really completely numbs anyone. When such an event actually happens in front of you, in real time with no control over the situation, it really only makes you feel more helpless and the event overall more surreal.
Quote by Piscasis
Thats usually not the cause for a lack of action in the case of violence, its usually fear. I've been desensitized but I wouldn't just see someone getting killed and not care, morals come into play still.
So you don't think there's anything wrong with a young child referring to murder as "awesome"? I've encountered kids who were lucid enough to watch a violent film and understand the gravity of what's happening, but that's a pretty rare occurrence.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
So you don't think there's anything wrong with a young child referring to murder as "awesome"? I've encountered kids who were lucid enough to watch a violent film and understand the gravity of what's happening, but that's a pretty rare occurrence.

Not if he's referring to murder in a video game.
Your brother is ****ed.
My brother is nine and pretty much acts the same way... he played Grand Theft Auto back when he was about three, but stopped when my parents found out. He's pretty much been violent in the head forever, and it's most likely going to cause problems in the future. It might not seem evident- he may be a very calm person, but sometimes if these calm people get pissed off they might stick a pen in your neck.
I know someone like that very well, it's not a fun time.

And about video games causing violence... at that young of an age, just seeing an act of exploding someone in a video game does seem awesome. If it's in real life, of course they will have a different reaction. But I honestly think if someone thinks thats awesome and is growing up thinking exploding people is awesome, there isn't going to be a happy ending.
Last edited by RPGoof at Dec 10, 2009,
OK, all I'm going to say is this:

I grew up playing games like Carmageddon. I loved Evil Dead, and pointless goreflicks. This was from the age of 8 onwards. I even got a story published at the age of 10, and it was based on demons who went around dismembering dwarfs (in extreme detail). When I got told to 'discuss' the story, I thought I was going to get into trouble, but they commended me for it instead.

I've never killed anybody, I've never even started a fight without good reason. I personally don't see how the imagery of violence can lead to actual violence. In a way, I believe it allows an escape from actually wanting to commit it, as our human nature would certainly encourage us to do so. Sure, it might desensitise us, but if someone got mauled in front of you for REAL, you'd still react to it as normal. People know that things on TV, books, games or music isn't actually real. Those who commit acts of violence are just violent people for other reasons. Most probably a bad upbringing and bad social environments.

The whole game-violence thing reminds me of the "ACDC killer" days, where bands were blamed for suicides and murders >.>
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
Last edited by Talonwolf at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by crazymofo
Children raised in warzones are exposed to violence. Children playing video games? Maby not so much.

Children raised in warzones have also lost parents, grandparents, siblings, friends, neighbors etc. They are well aware that there is no do over button or resurrect in a fucked up spot - aw damn.

T/s your step dad is an idiot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Piscasis
Not if he's referring to murder in a video game.

The issue is that the kid is seeing all murder as "awesome". Read the original post, the kid is drawing pictures of himself as "The Blood Man". The kid is always going to have violent tendencies.

I believe that violence is not taken seriously enough in the United States. Of course, it's the parents' fault, but that doesn't change the fact. In fact, I believe parents who let their young children be exposed to violence (GTA, for example) should be eligible for charges of neglect. I mean, parents can be charged for letting their children get too fat. Aren't excessively violent preteens a little more serious than overweight children?

Quote by Talonwolf

I grew up playing games like Carmageddon. I loved Evil Dead, and pointless goreflicks. This was from the age of 8 onwards. I even got a story published at the age of 10, and it was based on demons who went around dismembering dwarfs (in extreme detail). When I got told to 'discuss' the story, I thought I was going to get into trouble, but they commended me for it instead.

I've never killed anybody, I've never even started a fight without good reason. I personally don't see how the imagery of violence can lead to actual violence. In a way, I believe it allows an escape from actually wanting to commit it, as our human nature would certainly encourage us to do so. Sure, it might desensitise us, but if someone got mauled in front of you for REAL, you'd still react to it as normal. People know that things on TV, books, games or music isn't actually real. Those who commit acts of violence are just violent people for other reasons. Most probably a bad upbringing and bad social environments.

The whole game-violence thing reminds me of the "ACDC killer" days, where bands were blamed for suicides and murders >.>

The difference is that you knew the difference between fantasy and reality. Some younger children do not.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Talonwolf

+1

It has already been proven by professionals debating this topic that violence has dropped since video games have been around. Anyone with these violent tendencies will vent their aggression through the video game where there is no consequence because they know it is wrong. Any case otherwise where it is expressed in real life is a rare one.
It's not GTA's fault, it's not Saw's fault, it's not Marilyn Manson's fault.

It's irresponsible parents not teaching their kids the difference between pixels on a screen and real life.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by Piscasis
+1

It has already been proven by professionals debating this topic that violence has dropped since video games have been around. Anyone with these violent tendencies will vent their aggression through the video game where there is no consequence because they know it is wrong. Any case otherwise where it is expressed in real life is a rare one.

These studies have not studied the effects of violent video games on children under the age of 10. They have studied the effect on older teenagers and adults.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
These studies have not studied the effects of violent video games on children under the age of 10. They have studied the effect on older teenagers and adults.

When there is a massive outbreak of children under ten committing brutal homicides, then I'll see a purpose for that.
it doesn't work, its been proven.

he'll grow out of it trust me.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by StewieSwan

No, and now I'm quite curious about it. Can you please provide a link?

Quote by Talonwolf

I'm going out on a limb here in saying that the vast majority of children can differentiate between fantasy and reality or would not allow the same aggression they display in video games to escalate and spill into their daily lives. However, it does leave a few kids who might imitate what they see or use it as fuel for aggression. So, by rendering violent movies, games, books or anything inaccessible to kids, you decrease the possibility of harbouring aggression.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Piscasis
When there is a massive outbreak of children under ten committing brutal homicides, then I'll see a purpose for that.

I didn't say every child under ten was brutally traumatized by playing video games. However, there are some kids who are changed for the rest of their lives due to being exposed to excessive amounts of violence at an early age.

Think back to when many of us were kids, and got spanked for what we did wrong. Most of us, we turned out alright. However, there is that percentage that became screwed up for the rest of their lives. Are you saying it should be legal to hit your kids because not a large enough proportion of the population turned out psychotic? If not, what makes violent video games any different, besides the obvious physical violence?
Quote by MuffinMan
It really is the parents fault. Growing up my parents wouldn't let me play 007 Goldeneye on my N64 and I didn't like it but I realize now that it prolly was for the best. Nowadays I spend a lot of time on MW2 and CoD4 which can get pretty violent, but I do know the difference.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Quite off topic but, have you ever noticed how words, body parts, and "innapropriate" scenes are censored, but you can probably see channel after channel of violence without a problem?

Haha yeah, it's immoral and wrong to show two people enjoying sex on tv yet it's perfectly okay to base almost EVERY progamme on tv around murder and violence in some way yet if little timmy sees a girls boob then he's D00000MED xD

Anyway, i think this kids parents need to teach him about morality abit and that dismembering people like in video games isn't a good thing to do in reality.
Quote by ninjaapirate
It really is the parents fault. Growing up my parents wouldn't let me play 007 Goldeneye on my N64 and I didn't like it but I realize now that it prolly was for the best. Nowadays I spend a lot of time on MW2 and CoD4 which can get pretty violent, but I do know the difference.

I played goldeneye all the time. Have been playing games since i was very young xD , some of my earliest memorys are playing some apache helicopter game on sega and then some other similar one where it was 3rd person.

I used to blow up the white house even though it failed the mission
I used to play Quake, Doom and Duke Nukem with my dad when i was six...

I turned out just fine.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by Dirge Humani
Fight fire with fire, eh?

I tried fighting fire with fire.

I guess thats why I'm not a firefighter anymore.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Children should be exposed to violence... or beaten, up to you really
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Rating systems are there for a good reason. It is not a good idea to expose you children to large amounts of violence.

+1

Your brother and step-dad are idiots.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']I tried fighting fire with fire.

I guess thats why I'm not a firefighter anymore.

Horrible joke, but still made me laugh.
Quote by MuffinMan
I was exposed to N64 violence and I'm just fine.
kill the ******, use the throwing knives, chop him up like a velociraptor
Page 1 of 2