I'm trying to decide between the X3 or the XT. Of course there is a price difference which makes this hard to decide between and then there are the Live models of both. I look at it like if I just get the regular POD standard of either the X3 or XT, I can throw it in a carry case and take it with me on vaction or other places easily. That's my justification for getting one of those but I also look at the fact that the Live models do all the same but also add the foot controls but at an expensive premium. I could get one of the standard versions and add the FBV footcontroller later on I guess. Which would anyone that has expierence with these recommend? I mean the X3 or XT and whether the standard or the Live versions? I mean we're looking from a $299 price point for the standard PODxt all the way to a whopping $499 for the PODX3 Live. All opinions and input welcome!
The PODX3 some features that the XT doesn't. You can plug two instruments in at once, play 2 rigs through one guitar at once, and it has more amp models available.

If the extra features don't really appeal to you, I would get an XT live, and buy the model packs. I got my XT used for cheap, about $150, and spent $50 on the metal model pack.

I'm probably forgetting some features, but if you look up PODX3 up on youtube and see the official video for it, you'll see them all. The XT suits my needs just fine, as I don't have a second person playing with me, and don't really need the second rig option. It comes down to personal preference.

edit: I would recommend looking used, unless you have something against used gear, which I can understand. But it will save you some big bucks, especially if you want the X3. I've seen the X3 live on my local craigslist for $225 or so.
Agile Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Maple fretboard
Agile Hornet 7 w/ custom steel pickguard
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier w/ 2x12 G12T-75 cab
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Last edited by Everblack at Dec 10, 2009,
are you using the amp sim?
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by joey arce
are you using the amp sim?

If this is directed at me, yes. That would be why I purchased the metal pack.
If not, disregard this post completely.
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
So you would recommend the Live version of whichever POD I get versus just the POD itself? I mean I could just add a FBV to it later and have almost the same thing right? Oh and what amps come in the metal model pack?
If you want the footswitch then get the live. Note, that if you don't want them now, you can buy a footswitch that hooks up to it later. I like having the pedals, but if you don't need them, you can save some cash and get a normal one. I would recommend the live version if you'll be gigging with it.

This is the metal pack
http://line6.com/modelPacks/metal.html

The Line6 site has all the amp models in all of the PODs, so you can compare them.
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
Apologize for double posting, but this probably deserves it's own post.

It not going to be cheaper for you to buy the model packs with the XT if you want more than one model pack, maybe two. I just remembered the X3 comes with bass models, and that pack alone costs $100 to get separately. So if you play bass, or predict you may take an interest in it sometime, you might just want to go with the X3. I also don't think you can use wah unless you've got the live or the footswitch adapter.
Maxon OD808
Boss HM-2
if i were you id go with the x3 if you have the money. i have a podxtlive with all the model packs, and its great. but buying a new xt isnt going to have all the packs on it. the x3 will. i just happened to find a used one with all the packs for a good price. and as far as the live vs. not live, i really like having the pedals there on the live. it makes switching things on and off a lot eaier. and plus, with all the floor space, it really isnt that big. im sure you could find a way to carry the live version without much trouble.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Everblack
If you want the footswitch then get the live. Note, that if you don't want them now, you can buy a footswitch that hooks up to it later. I like having the pedals, but if you don't need them, you can save some cash and get a normal one. I would recommend the live version if you'll be gigging with it.

This is the metal pack
http://line6.com/modelPacks/metal.html

The Line6 site has all the amp models in all of the PODs, so you can compare them.

Yeah that was my point of saying that I could add a FBV to it later on. I've been on Line6's website like religiously trying to make up my mind. Playing rock and metal guitar is my passion but I do it for me only, meaning that this won't be gigging equipment but I do like to take things other places. You know, taking things on trips is always cool and I know they make a POD carrying case and I'm sure I've seen one for the Live versions as well but I didn't know just how much bigger the Live versions are. If it is easy to carry and pack then that's what I'll go for. Ya'll said that the X3 has all the packs already installed correct? If that is the case then I'll go for the X3 but as far as Live versus regular, I don't know....? Is there something I'm missing about the Live version other than the wah pedal and just foot switching convenience? And ya'll are sure those pack are already on the X3 that the XT is missing out of the box?
Quote by InanezGuitars44
if i were you id go with the x3 if you have the money. i have a podxtlive with all the model packs, and its great. but buying a new xt isnt going to have all the packs on it. the x3 will. i just happened to find a used one with all the packs for a good price. and as far as the live vs. not live, i really like having the pedals there on the live. it makes switching things on and off a lot eaier. and plus, with all the floor space, it really isnt that big. im sure you could find a way to carry the live version without much trouble.

^What part of Louisiana are you from? I live right outside Bossier City.

I think I'm set on the X3 now after thinking about it and seeing what you all had to say. I think I'll see what I can get a used Live version for but if nothing good enough as far as money comes my way then I'll just get the regular X3 version and buy a FBV later on.