Hey guys.

So i'm basically looking into a new amp. My VK just isn't doing it for me anymore. I play bands like Mastodon, Pearl Jam, Lamb Of God, and australian bands like Birds of Tokyo.
I don't want something with crap cleans or something that is a one trick pony. Also like playing a bit of improv blues.

Have a budget of around $1500 USD so just suggest me some amps. (Preferably 100w)

Been looking into some JCM's and also the 6505. I'm looking for an organic tone that doesn't sound too processed.

cheers.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Dec 10, 2009,
JCM900 w/ a good od pedal

a 6505 won't have the cleans you want
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
JCM900 w/ a good od pedal

a 6505 won't have the cleans you want

I have a TS9.
Quote by Mad Marius
Combos:
Damn near anything for $1500. Go nuts, dude. My personal choice would be a used Mesa combo.

Heads (if you have a cab):
Mesa Dual/Triple Rec
Framus Dragon with a boost
Peavey 3120
Quote by phlip999
Combos:
Damn near anything for $1500. Go nuts, dude. My personal choice would be a used Mesa combo.

Heads (if you have a cab):
Mesa Dual/Triple Rec
Framus Dragon with a boost
Peavey 3120

I dont have a cab, i've never owned a half stack.
Quote by Mad Marius
The first thing i will say is buy you amp on US ebay and buy a step down transformer (which isn't much) to play it in Australia. Our prices are horrible.

Second, do you prefer british or american voicing?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
The first thing i will say is buy you amp on US ebay and buy a step down transformer (which isn't much) to play it in Australia. Our prices are horrible.

Second, do you prefer british or american voicing?

What do you mean by step down transformer?

And i can't side either american or british voicing, i'm a fan of both.

also, i didn't think it was possible to use the US ebay in aus, because they don't ship to aus.
Quote by Mad Marius
Last edited by SOADriff at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by SOADriff

A stepdown transformer will take the current in Oz (240v) and "step it down" to (120v) which is a voltage the US amp will be able to handle.

In that case something from Blackstar? the shaping knob will be helpful in getting you either a brit or american voicing.

Otherwise, Egnater Rebel 30 or Renegade?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by SOADriff

also, i didn't think it was possible to use the US ebay in aus, because they don't ship to aus.

Yes they do. But if you purchase anything worth over $1,000 you're going to get slammed some nasty taxes but in the end it'll probably be worth it if you go for something like a Mesa.
A step down transformer basically will convert the voltage from the US (120v I think?) to our 240v.
It'd really only be worth shipping a head, shipping a valve combo would be expensive as hell.

That being said used JCM 900's can usually be had anywhere from $900 to $1400 on ebay.

EDIT: Here's a Single Rec, on eBay starting at a grand with no bids, you might be able to get a good deal.
Last edited by consecutive e at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by consecutive e
Yes they do. But if you purchase anything worth over $1,000 you're going to get slammed some nasty taxes but in the end it'll probably be worth it if you go for something like a Mesa.
A step down transformer basically will convert the voltage from the US (120v I think?) to our 240v.

That being said used JCM 900's can usually be had anywhere from $900 to $1400 on ebay.

Ah so the shipping will be like $600 or something?
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by ragingkitty
A stepdown transformer will take the current in Oz (240v) and "step it down" to (120v) which is a voltage the amp will be able to handle.

In that case something from Blackstar? the shaping knob will be helpful in getting you either a brit or american voicing.

Otherwise, Egnater Rebel 30 or Renegade?

To be honest the ISF knob never really makes it sound american. Blackstars are british voiced amps and turning the ISF to the left makes it sound less british, but not really American. Don't get me wrong it's useful but it doesn't sound Mesa-ish at all.

Well instead of asking what voicing i'll simplify it for you.

Metal tones: Lamb of God or Mastodon?

What cleans do you prefer: A Fender style clean or a Marshall style clean?

Just go to ebay.com (not .au) and search for what you want. Some sellers won't advertise worldwide shipping or shipping to Australia but if you message them asking, a lot of the time they won't mind.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by SOADriff
Ah so the shipping will be like $600 or something?

No i've looked around a lot and for big Heads and large 1x12 combo's it's usually around 350 max, 2x12 would probably cost a lot more, they're pretty massive.

If it costs over $1000AUD, factor in about 15% customs taxes.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
To be honest the ISF knob never really makes it sound american. Blackstars are british voiced amps and turning the ISF to the left makes it sound less british, but not really American. Don't get me wrong it's useful but it doesn't sound Mesa-ish at all.

Haha... nothing sounds like a Mesa... except a Mesa, but yes, I know what you mean... it won't take your tone from Marshall to Mesa, but it is good for tonal variety.

Quote by TOMMYB22
Well instead of asking what voicing i'll simplify it for you.

Metal tones: Lamb of God or Mastodon?

What cleans do you prefer: A Fender style clean or a Marshall style clean?

Yup... easiest way to get this resolved quickish.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by TOMMYB22
You definitely need to move more than just the ISF if you want to go from British to American - but it can be done.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I'm gonna have to say i prefer mastodon metal tones. Less processed and more interesting to me.

And i'd also have to say marshall cleans. I like to have a thick bassy clean tone from my neck pickup and don't like sounding thin.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by ch0
You definitely need to move more than just the ISF if you want to go from British to American - but it can be done.

it gives you a lot of versatility, but no amount of tweaking makes it sound very american. It also doesn't have the bass response to have that kind of thick, modern distortion as it's a little vintage voiced. Also turning the ISF knob to the left makes it a lot brighter, which is the opposite of what you want to sound Mesa-ish, maybe a little more Fender like though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by SOADriff
I'm gonna have to say i prefer mastodon metal tones. Less processed and more interesting to me.

And i'd also have to say marshall cleans. I like to have a thick bassy clean tone from my neck pickup and don't like sounding thin.

Well then it's pretty obvious which voicing you prefer.

Pick up a JCM800 head used, it should give you pretty spot on Mastodon tones with your TS9. You probably wouldn't even have to get one from the US. For Marshalls we get priced similarly to the the US. In fact you could avoid shipping and probably save a few bucks if you got it here.

I looked on Aussie ebay for you i couldn't find a JCM800 but if you wait, one would pop up. I seem them a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-JCM900-100W-head-1960A-box-NEW-VALVES_W0QQitemZ160384771433QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Amplifiers?hash=item2557ad6569 - you'd just need to arrange your own courier.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-DSL401-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ110467659038QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Amplifiers?hash=item19b862b51e - same here, ends in 2 hours though

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-JCM900-50Watt-Head_W0QQitemZ290379238793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Amplifiers?hash=item439bf38d89 - good price, no bids yet and leaves you cab money
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by TOMMYB22
Well then it's pretty obvious which voicing you prefer.

Pick up a JCM800 head used, it should give you pretty spot on Mastodon tones with your TS9. You probably wouldn't even have to get one from the US. For Marshalls we get priced similarly to the the US. In fact you could avoid shipping and probably save a few bucks if you got it here.

Cheers man, what are the differences between the JCM 800 and 900, apart from the 900 having more gain on tap?

Also, 2204 or 2203? Thanks.
Quote by Mad Marius
the 900 is vociced a bit more modern. and has more high end and less mids
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by TOMMYB22
it gives you a lot of versatility, but no amount of tweaking makes it sound very american. It also doesn't have the bass response to have that kind of thick, modern distortion as it's a little vintage voiced. Also turning the ISF knob to the left makes it a lot brighter, which is the opposite of what you want to sound Mesa-ish, maybe a little more Fender like though.
Seriously, nobody from Blackstar ever said the 'American' side of the ISF was supposed to emulate a Mesa amp.

I'm not really sure where that came from, oh wait, yes I am - that guy on YouTube.

Bottom line is it's supposed to make the amp 'more American.' In that it succeeds.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Does anyone have any other amps to suggest?
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by ch0
Seriously, nobody from Blackstar ever said the 'American' side of the ISF was supposed to emulate a Mesa amp.

I'm not really sure where that came from, oh wait, yes I am - that guy on YouTube.

Bottom line is it's supposed to make the amp 'more American.' In that it succeeds.

When they say American it usually does, obviously they wouldn't legally be able to write Mesa on the left and Marshall on the right but those are generally those brands are the most associated with those voicings. Blackstar knows that and it's what they assume the public to think as well. On top of the amp, when you first get it it has a bag tag with some recommended setting, those settings were "british crunch" and "american metal", which amps do you you of when you hear that?

I don't think i recall that video though, so i can't dispute that.

I wouldn't say it becomes more american, but i guess it becomes a little less british.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Just because those two brands may be the ones most associated with the particular voicings in question doesn't mean that they're what Blackstar is trying to emulate.

Try dialing in a Mesa sound. Doesn't work at all, right? There you go, obviously not modeled to sound like a Mesa.

Now try to dial in a Marshall sound. Works a little better, but still not there, right?

The amp isn't made to emulate Marshall and Mesa, and it isn't for legal reasons. What it does is give you something with the general EQ characteristics of both an American and a British amp. It would be foolish to try and make such a simple amp do so much. You'd almost surely end up with an amp that does nothing well. As is though, I can pull a great American sound out of the amp for playing Darkness and Shinedown and whatnot, then with the twirl of a few knobs, grab a wooly British tone for all that kinda music.

If you're listening for 'Marshall' and 'Mesa' tones when you plug into an HT-5 (or Series One for that matter) you're going to be very disappointed.
Quote by Marty Friedman
TS, unless you want a Marshall there aren't many other british voiced amps in your price range since there is a large price gap between the HT-5 and the other Blackstar's.

Several Mesa's could do what you want though. A Mesa .50 Calibur or DC series amp would be pretty good for what you want. They both come as heads or combo's so thats your choice but if you get a DC, get the DC-3. It has EL34's (or EL84's i can't remember) so it would sound a little more british flavoured, it wouldn't sound like a Marshall but it would be a little closer than the 50 and 100 watt ones (they have 6L6's).

EDIT: ch0, your blowing what i'm saying out of proportion, i was only referring to the ISF feature. It's voicing range always lies somewhere in the middle just leaning a little to the british side.

I never said that the amp itself was designed to emulate a Mesa and Marshall, although with the ISF and the way they label it, it's a little implied that it would be slightly in the vain of those amps, and it does, just not to the extent word of mouth has lead some people to think.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie