So here is the deal, I currently can not play for longer than 15 minutes before my picky family forces me to stop due to volume issues. My amp is a Palomino v50, I will be keeping it, but I need a low volume solution. It would be preferable to my family if the amp had a headphone out jack. The problem with this is I would like it to be a tube amp, and the only tube amp I know of that has this is the Bugera v5. I'm not knocking the v5, I have yet to try it and it may very well be the answer but I wanted to see what UG suggested. This amp will also be the amp I take with me to college next year. Budget is $200, anything more and I will have to pay the difference. I play classic rock and blues, no metal, so I don't need anything that has TeH Br00tLz. I have plenty of drive pedals that I can use with the amp as well so it can be single channel.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Hmmm... I'd recommend the Killer Ant or the Little Giant... but neither have the headphones out.

The only other low wattage tube amp I know of that has a line out (i think), is the Hayden Mofo, but its well over your budget.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The V5 would be perfect for you, but just to be sure try the Vox AC4TV.
I've tried the AC4 on numerous occasions and have never liked it. I love the demos of it, but to me it never lived up to the hype. It always sounded boxy and farty. I have played the Fender Champ 600 before and was fairly fond of it so thats also in the running.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

how much do the Class 5 and the HT5 run?

EDIT: Where can I buy the Laney Cubs?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Last edited by lbj273 at Dec 11, 2009,
Don't ya just love it when family tells ya, "Hey, that amp you love..well..it's too loud. Get a different one. Oh...it's been the best amp for you ever? Oh well, i don't care, i don't like that i can hear it at all."

man i'd keep your amp if i were you...i had my RM50 up here at college up until a month ago, and during the day i played it and people could hear it down the halls but never really complained, cuz everyone else is blaring music and video games anyway. only time you should really have to worry about volume is during the night, but that's what master volumes are for! so unless your regular playing level has to make the room shake, i think you'll be fine at the University. they're not making you get rid of your amp are they?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
no no, I am keeping the amp, there is no way I'd give it up. I just need something for quiet practice, especially since theres gonna be a new addition in the household. I'm leaning towards either the Fender Champ 600 or the Vibro Champ XD right now. I'll have to go play the two of em side by side and decide. The Vibro is considered a hybrid only because of the DFX right? Cause it says it has a 12ax7 and a 6V6 in it.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I'm a Valve Junior Fan, but in your situation I'd think about springing a few extra bucks and look at a super champ XD.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I was in the same situation when I was a kid... I formed a "band" with a neighbor kid down the street at his place.

trust me, you're gonna want to be out of the house more often in the coming days.

also, I like a lot of the suggestions thus far, killer ant, ac4, XD... just try 'em out.
Well all tube amps need alot of volume to sound good so i suggest line6.
Its not tube sound, but its still nicer than a tube amp on low volume, and if you buy a 75 or 150 watt version you could easly use it for band reharsal.
If you MUST have tube then maybe check out blackheart?
Quote by fuzzboxx

I think you mean tube amps need a lot of volume to sound their BEST. Every valve amp I've played has sounded just as good as a good SS amp at low volumes. A Valve amp should sound good at just about any volume, but until you start getting past 1/5 of the volume, the best characteristics of a valve amp won't stand out as much.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by fuzzboxx
Its not tube sound, but its still nicer than a tube amp on low volume, and if you buy a 75 or 150 watt version you could easly use it for band reharsal.
If you MUST have tube then maybe check out blackheart?

Ig'nant post be Ig'nant.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Man that why i picked up the Keeley Mt-2 So I can get some decent tones when my wife and I can't decide on volume and I have to play quiet......I'm sure their are some other Pedals out their tha will will give you a tone your after at lower volumes cheaper than a new amp. Good Luck to ya!!

+1 to slash and both the "mm's"
and lest we forget, TS is looking for amps with headphone jacks... crank that fvcker!
me too, but with a baby in the house (atleast that's what I assume he meant) and then going to live in a dorm room... he's prolly gonna have to bite the bullet more often than not.
Yea, TS I know not all colleges are the same, so my dorms might be pretty flexible with what they'll allowed during the daytime compared to yours...but since you'll be keeping your main amp there's no big worry. Find a good amp with headphone or really low output, and if they seem like they'd let you get away with more, bring that bad mofo up! That's what I did last year, started with my crappy 10 watt ibanez toneblaster, and then i realized i was playing at volumes i could just be using my Randall for...so i brought it up. Then you could possibly leave the small amp at home for weekends/breaks, and the big one at the college. Though I'd look into dorm room insurance, not for the less-common fires, but the more common theft...I never had a prob with either, though i would certainly notice someone trying to haul my Randall outta my room cuz it would take some muscle and a good amount of time hahaha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
hopefully going to GC today, going to play the 2 Champs and the Vox VT15.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I went to GC today and tried out a few amps. I played the Vibro Champ first and was very impressed. It stayed clean on the clean voicings pretty high on the gain setting. The voicings that were overdriven sounded very nice, very smooth, made for great blues leads. Didn't find a great rhythm OD tone on it though so that was a bit disappointing.

I then played the Champ 600. It sounded very nice clean, and I got some nice blues drive tones in the high gain input. I found it to be somewhat lacking however, nothing that couldn't be remedied with some nice drive pedals, but lacking all the same.

I then went to try out the VT15, but they didn't have a floor model out for some reason, so I went and played the Vypyr 15 and 30 instead. I didn't really like the Vypyr, to me it seems more geared towards higher gain genres. It sounded pretty good clean, but the medium gain tones sounded dull and lifeless. It was while I was unplugging from the Vypyrs that I took a look over on the used amp wall. There sitting between a Peavey Classic 50 and a small SS Crate amp I found this gem.

Now being a Palo v50 owner of course I had to try it out. I plugged it in and loved it right away. It sounds like my amp does, but at a lower volume. At the same volume my amp sounds choked and this one sounds nice and warm. At this point I was pretty much sold, it had a gain and a volume and the ever elusive line out/headphone jack, but there was one further test I had to do. I went up to the counter at the front of the store and grabbed an OCD to test out with the amp. Simply put, it sounded heavenly. Since I have plenty of dirt pedals already I decided this was the amp for me. The good news is that I brought the amp home with me today, the bad news is I have to wait until Xmas to play it, and I have to act surprised when I unwrap it. I will post a NAD thread when I actually am allowed to play the amp, so t-minus 284 hours.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020