So my son wants a PS-970 Floyd Rose guitar for Christmas. Went to Rondo music and have been told that they are sold out and discontinued. They suggested something else but my son has his heart set on this one. I don't know a thing about electic guitars and my son has only been playing for a year or so. I have read lots of thread on this forum and it sounds like this is a good guitar for the money but can I find one? Why were they discontinued? Any suggestions for something comparable and why? PLEASE HELP! I'm desperate! Mom
mom? You're getting me that guitar I wanted for Christmas? YAY ME! I'm going to run upstairs and hug you!
She doesn't understand how to properly wait for replys in UG forums, obviously.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Damn. Your gonna make your son a very happy boy with a nice guitar. It's like getting a boya puppy and growing up with it.

Get info, about what music he likes, What style his previous guitars he had and listen to what he plays (Listen the next time he's playing)

Then check back later.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Just buy him lots, and lots, and lots of fancy cheese.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Lookin at the specs and pics there is only very minor differences between the PS-970 and the hawker model. Not much you can do if its out of stock and discontinued anyways. So the hawker should be an equal replacement for the one he has his heart set on.

If he opens it and says "ppht its not the PS-970 I wanted" then send it back and buy yourself something with the money.

On a side note as your son has only been playing for a year I would hope he knows a floyd rose guitar will be alot different to string and set up than a fixed bridge or vintage style trem?
Quote by Tackleberry
Lookin at the specs and pics there is only very minor differences between the PS-970 and the hawker model. Not much you can do if its out of stock and discontinued anyways. So the hawker should be an equal replacement for the one he has his heart set on.

If he opens it and says "ppht its not the PS-970 I wanted" then send it back and buy yourself something with the money. Send it to me

On a side note as your son has only been playing for a year I would hope he knows a floyd rose guitar will be alot different to string and set up than a fixed bridge or vintage style trem?

Fixed
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Tackleberry

It’s really not that complicated. When I was a teenager I think it took me all of ten minutes to figure it out on a second-hand guitar with no manual.
http://www.rondomusic.com/ps970bk.html

According to this, you can still buy it.
But if that happens to be not true, I'd suggest buying the Hawker. Nicer guitar anyway.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Yea true some can figure out how to deal with a FR with no problems. But there are many who cant. There are tons of threads on UG with "cant string my FR".

And some may make a switch from fixed bridge or vintage trem to a FR and not understand they do play different. I hated my only floating bridge guitar after playing fixed bridge for so long.
You know something, you're an awesome mom.

In that range, if he wants something with an FR, I'm gonna suggest you get him this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-M100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516643

The big thing about guitars with Floyd Rose bridges in that range is they're almost always made of Zinc (which is bad - it can't hold an edge, and so the bridge won't return to parallel, and therefore will make the guitar go out of tune).
The one on that guitar is made of hardened steel - which lasts a very long time. The bridge is more or less the best one on the market in that range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.