Okay, here’s some background information. I’m in a hard rock/numetal band along with a bassist, singer, and drummer (I’m the guitarist). We rehearse in the drummer’s garage. I play through a Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, the drummer’s kit is unmic’d and sounds fine, and I bought a used PA setup for the vocalist (Sunn SX6350 – 350 watt powered mixer, JBL MR 922).

Now, the bassist is a great friend of all of us, but he’s having trouble affording any gear to be able to play with us. I figure there has to be a pretty simple way for him to run his bass through the PA system (we’re just practicing, no intention of gigging any time soon), but after some research I found that we’d need speakers with a frequency response of around 35Hz since we play in D-standard. This brings me to my question(s):

What would happen if he were to plug in and play through the setup as-is? (MR 922 specs here)

What’s the most cost effective way to get an audible sound for him? I’m not hurting for money too badly and am willing to shell out some money for him if it’s a good deal.

Is it a viable option for me to build a cabinet from scratch with a lower frequency response? I’m a pretty handy guy and from what I’ve read it doesn’t sound too difficult to build a decent enough sounding one.

I bought some really cheap subs online a month or so ago that I planned to put in my car, but I don’t really need them (you know how it is when you have money burning a hole in your pocket :P). Would they provide a suitable option? These are the subs.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
He has an old Fender practice amp, I believe it's about 15 watts, not sure though. It's not audible over myself and the drummer.
Micing up his amp or using a DI'ing into the PA should do fine (just plugging straight into the PA would probably be best since he only has a toy amp). I'd say that those subs should manage it adequately especially if you are just trying to get over a unmiced drummer. If I were you I'd badger him into getting a decent amp tbh. I love the sound of a bass running through something like a big-assed Ampeg - but they aren't cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It would be more worthwhile getting an amp. Eventually you're going to want to start gigging, and you can't take your subs to every venue you go to.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Cathbard
If I were you I'd badger him into getting a decent amp tbh. I love the sound of a bass running through something like a big-assed Ampeg - but they aren't cheap.

I understand this and agree entirely, but he really can't earn any money right now because he has to do sports afterschool rather than working his part time job. I would just buy his amp, but that has no real justification in my mind. I don't plan on using a bass amp ever, but expanding a PA setup has long-term benefits for me.

Just trying to spend my money to benefit myself and the bassist
Quote by ducels
I understand this and agree entirely, but he really can't earn any money right now because he has to do sports afterschool rather than working his part time job. I would just buy his amp, but that has no real justification in my mind. I don't plan on using a bass amp ever, but expanding a PA setup has long-term benefits for me.

Just trying to spend my money to benefit myself and the bassist

As said, Christmas isn't far away, so he can get one then?

I wouldn't spend money on him, personally. He doesn't sound very dedicated.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Plugging the bass directly into the PA in will sound absolutely fine - we do it all the time with our PA (rack mixer, 2x powered 400W 15" mains) when our bassist can't be arsed bringing his amp.
Our speakers (Studiomaster VPX15s) are rated down to 50Hz and do the job fine. In fact, I prefer the sound through the PA to our bass player's big Hartke. Decent PA > cheapo dedicated bass amp?

35Hz is close to the limit of human hearing, an audience really won't be missing out on anything if the speakers can't completely reproduce the very lowest harmonics.
You'll lose some of that 'punch in the stomach' feel, but for smallish gigs and practice that's really not an issue. All the notes will still be reproduced fine.

If your mixer has 1/4" inputs, just plug your bass straight in and you should get a perfectly usable sound.
Quote by kyle62
Plugging the bass directly into the PA in will sound absolutely fine - we do it all the time with our PA (rack mixer, 2x powered 400W 15" mains) when our bassist can't be arsed bringing his amp.
Our speakers (Studiomaster VPX15s) are rated down to 50Hz and do the job fine. In fact, I prefer the sound through the PA to our bass player's big Hartke. Decent PA > cheapo dedicated bass amp?

35Hz is close to the limit of human hearing, an audience really won't be missing out on anything if the speakers can't completely reproduce the very lowest harmonics.
You'll lose some of that 'punch in the stomach' feel, but for smallish gigs and practice that's really not an issue. All the notes will still be reproduced fine.

If your mixer has 1/4" inputs, just plug your bass straight in and you should get a perfectly usable sound.

Human ears can hear sounds below 20hz (or infra-sound as it's seemingly known). But the volume level has to be LOUD for our ears to pick it up. Things like wind turbines generate infra-sound.

And apparently, it can cause health problems.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
Human ears can hear sounds below 20hz (or infra-sound as it's seemingly known). But the volume level has to be LOUD for our ears to pick it up. Things like wind turbines generate infra-sound.

Ah yes, Messrs. Fletcher and Munson rear their ugly heads once again!

The wind turbine thing is kind of creepy though...