I want a deep string gauge, one that could let me go to Drop D and Drop B occasionally.

Or just which ones work good. thanks!
heavy...
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I use 10 - 46 and I stay in drop C most of the time. I noticed that they break a little easier though...but if you're in drop D for the majority, they should be fine.
i do dropped D with .10's. I never tuned to dropped B before but you can get 11's or maybe 12's to make it less floppy.i use earnie ball slinkies but not everyone likes them, you just gonna find a brand that you like
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
I normally play in Drop A# with .10's, but .11's will give you more clarity for drop B and A#, but most people here are gona say .12, .13, .14 for a tuning that dosent ever need such heavy guage strings, you use those kind of strings for Drop E or G and crazy shit like that.
For Drop D and E std, I like to use 10-50 tite-fits by DR. For Drop B, I'd recommend an 11 gauge heavy set. For D std and Drop C, I'd use 10-52 or 11-50 or 11-52.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I use 11s for C standard. The string tension is just perfect at that tuning, too. Just easy enough to bend and slide that the strings still won't cave in on the fret and malform every note. With drop B, the only string that changes is the top C, and that makes it just flexable enough for technical-sort of rhythm playing and soloing. It's nice.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Last edited by NorfIrIon at Dec 11, 2009,
I use .11s on my Les Pauls, both the one tuned standard and the one tuned down a half step. I'm thinking of going to 12s on the detuned one though.

Everybody's different. I just like heavy strings. I got into in in college, when I played .12s on my guitars, tuned standard. They were way too heavy to play fast, but I did it so my roommate and his friends didn't touch my guitars.

"Dude, your guitar is too hard to play."
"Good. Put it down."

It did help my finger strength a ton though.
Depends on the scale length of your guitar.

I use .11's-.52's on my C-1+ (24.75"), and I alternate between standard and dropped C and everything in-between.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
drop B gets a little floppy for me with 52-10's on an LP neck.

a lot of times for lower stuff, sometimes drop A#, i'll go with a ZW set, 60-10's.

How do you guys use such light strings? Anything less than .11s in E standard feels floppy to me. The ZW set is pretty nice feeling for a step or two down though. Atleast the .11-.70s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx

How do you guys use such light strings? Anything less than .11s in E standard feels floppy to me. The ZW set is pretty nice feeling for a step or two down though. Atleast the .11-.70s.

I like a slinky top & heavy bottom, so more and more I've gravitated towards the Zakk set (athough I try to find the same gauges in ernie ball strings... personal pref), and I'm in drop C 9 times outa' 10. I really don't like to go above .11's though... lots'a pinky bends... that shit can wear on you after a while.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I normally play in Drop A# with .10's, but .11's will give you more clarity for drop B and A#, but most people here are gona say .12, .13, .14 for a tuning that dosent ever need such heavy guage strings.

May I point out you have barley answered the question and are semi-true!

The thicker gauge string you have, the easier it is to get to lower tunings, says my guitar teacher.

However, you can get to that tuning in ANY string gauge, pendent on your guitars set-up.

If you want bass-ier though (more bass.... ugh) get as thick as you can, my guitar teacher, again I say this, says I should go into a store and say whats the thickest strings you've got. He even recommended bass strings or a 7 string... ugh...

I'd personally recomend you go for whatever you prefer playing, but slightly thicker (IE if you normally use 10-46 go to 11-49 ect).
Strings are all personal preference. What feels good and works for your buddy down the street may not feel good and work for you.

Just try out different gauges until you find one that you like.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Strings are all personal preference. What feels good and works for your buddy down the street may not feel good and work for you.

Just try out different gauges until you find one that you like.

What I said, in short, and in less detail.
Quote by denfilade
When you guys use heavy strings, do your strings break at the bridge end of the guitar?

actually, this is why I look for ernie ball strings in ZW gauges. I haven't broken a string in over three years when using these. they feel like they give a little more when doing wide interval bends.

Quote by denfilade
When you guys use heavy strings, do your strings break at the bridge end of the guitar?

No, I got the guy I take my guitars to for an initial set up to smooth out the saddles where they touch the string so it slides right over. I also lube up that point and where it touches the nut. I haven't broken a string in years.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs