26 52%
Orange Tiny Terror!
11 22%
Jet City JCA20!
8 16%
Line 6 Flextone III Plus!
5 10%
Voters: 50.
After months of researching and talking with various UGers (including ragingkitty! thanks for that!) and pro musicians, I've come down to these amps:

Orange Tiny Terror ~$550 USD No personal experience as of yet. Going to try tomorrow. According to UG, it's no good for metal because it gets all loose and muddy when you crank the gain.

Used Laney TT50 1x12 combo (discontinued version) http://www.sofaforum.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=277&extra=page%3D1 $450 USD. The retail value of the newer TT50-112 is 1750 USD btw. No personal experience yet, but i will be trying it out tomorrow. I heard it's very good for modern metal and is one of Laney's higher-gain amps.

Jet City JCA20H w/ matching 112 cab 499 USD Again, no experience, but I will be trying it out. I heard it doesn't have enough gain for modern metal.

Line 6 Flextone III Plus including FBV Express ~400 USD. I found this amp quite fizzy. It's modelling is good but it's still got that underlying harshness to it. I'm leaning away from this amp.

I just want to know what you all think about these amps.

Budget: Forget it. I've already created a million of these threads. It's down to these amps. Believe me I know you probably want to suggest another amp but don't.

Gigging: yes, ~800 people at the most.

Styles: As long as it's hard rock/metal oriented I'm fine. Preferably, I do not want to run a pedal through it. I'm not going to specify bands that I want to sound like. I sort of want my own sound. As long as it's fairly versatile. Before someone asks, no, there are no Peavey dealers in HK. I'd also rather not have products ordered online, since I always try before I buy.

If you really having a dying suggestion you need to make, make it. But remember, if it's the usual "PEAVEY 6505" or 'Peavey Vypyr' (remember there are no Peavey dealers here), you're going to make my head explode! Thanks!

-HB
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by mmjohn
Try to go in with an open mind and not what other people think.

Don't worry. I'm only creating this poll to see if I'm making an incredibly stupid purchase before I pull the trigger!

I've already sort of decided on the used Laney TT50 but we'll see.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

the laney seems like a good deal. I think I played the head version once, the tubes like 5 years old, so I didn't really hear how it sounded, but it sure has a lot of knobs, wich I always love
Be sure to check if the speaker isn't damaged or anything. (looks like it's been gigged a few times).
The tiny terror just doesn't cut it for metal, the dual terror + OD can do it, but you are going to spend a hell of a lot of money on OD's and EQ's if you want a full tone with tight bottom end with the tiny terror.
Th flextone is decent, but if you are able to get the laney, then get it, otherwise if you have some more money to spend: dual terror and finnaly flextone if you can't have one of those two.
Quote by henis
the laney seems like a good deal. I think I played the head version once, the tubes like 5 years old, so I didn't really hear how it sounded, but it sure has a lot of knobs, wich I always love
Be sure to check if the speaker isn't damaged or anything. (looks like it's been gigged a few times).
The tiny terror just doesn't cut it for metal, the dual terror + OD can do it, but you are going to spend a hell of a lot of money on OD's and EQ's if you want a full tone with tight bottom end with the tiny terror.
Th flextone is decent, but if you are able to get the laney, then get it, otherwise if you have some more money to spend: dual terror and finnaly flextone if you can't have one of those two.

Good to know! I'd probably go with the Jet City as second choice though.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
Don't worry. I'm only creating this poll to see if I'm making an incredibly stupid purchase before I pull the trigger!

I've already sort of decided on the used Laney TT50 but we'll see.

Ahh I got ya brother...........Wish i was going with ya I love Amp shopping. Happy shopping
Quote by HellBoy9393
Good to know! I'd probably go with the Jet City as second choice though.

Jip, just saw you added it to the list. Don't really know someone who plays or has played one, but if you get it, be sure to post a good review and some clips. I'm thinking of getting one myself for home practise since I've recently changed to a 100w marshall dsl and it can sound pretty poor anywhere under 4 (on the volume).
Personally I think you the Orange Tiny Terror is on the list the Vox Night Train needs to be too. I've played both, and my verdict after playing the two is that the Vox Night Train is 1000 times better.... But thats just me... I like having more controls on the amp... the Orange is what I personally believe to be a lazy mans tool... Some of you might not like what I think of the tiny terror... all I can say is you can disagree but its not gonna change my mind.

Anyways since I dont think the Tiny Terrorable (sorry couldnt resist...) would be suitable, my vote goes for the Laney, cause you have doubts against the Line 6 Flextone, and I'm not very familar with Jet City.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I really didn't like the tiny terror, it sounds like you didn't like the flextone, and the way things have been going recently I'd be very wary of buying a production budget tube amp when it first comes out, which puts the jet city out of the running.
Laney gets my vote unless you really love the jet city and it's got a decent warranty.
Quote by Ethanb08
Personally I think you the Orange Tiny Terror is on the list the Vox Night Train needs to be too. I've played both, and my verdict after playing the two is that the Vox Night Train is 1000 times better.... But thats just me... I like having more controls on the amp... the Orange is what I personally believe to be a lazy mans tool... Some of you might not like what I think of the tiny terror... all I can say is you can disagree but its not gonna change my mind.

Anyways since I dont think the Tiny Terrorable (sorry couldnt resist...) would be suitable, my vote goes for the Laney, cause you have doubts against the Line 6 Flextone, and I'm not very familar with Jet City.

I've tried the night train. As good as it was for some good ol classic rock, I just don't think it has enough gain for me.

Quote by Roc8995
I really didn't like the tiny terror, it sounds like you didn't like the flextone, and the way things have been going recently I'd be very wary of buying a production budget tube amp when it first comes out, which puts the jet city out of the running.
Laney gets my vote unless you really love the jet city and it's got a decent warranty.

Any reasons why you really disliked the Orange?

BTW, about jet city. I actually urged them to start shipping their products to Asia. In fact, if you look at their dealers page, you'll see that the only dealer in Asia are the stores in Hong Kong! They really care about their customers...I'd feel bad for having them ship a whole batch of Jet CIty amps just for me, and have me not buy one!

But hey, that's life!
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by henis
So you actually asked them to distribute their product somewhere in your country and they did it?

LOL yep they are that awesome! Right now they have a real connection with their customers since they are still such a small company. I bet in a year's time all this will change into automated, robot e-mails.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Laney for sure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by HellBoy9393
LOL yep they are that awesome! Right now they have a real connection with their customers since they are still such a small company. I bet in a year's time all this will change into automated, robot e-mails.

Well, with most companies you have to be lucky. If there is a decent guy there who wants to help you ith your problem then no matter if it's a small Belgian amp company (wish we had any ) or marshall, the guy will help you. If it's a jerk, well ya know. Once I mailed to celestion to know if a guy was selling me the right speakers, turned out they were from the some year Jimi played at woodstock with the same kind of speakers (they were some kind of old greenbacks), bought the cab for 300eu and sold it for 800eu thank you Mr celestion
The Jet City amps are pretty sweet. They've got similar tone to a Soldano amp but on a budget.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Does anyone know which speaker is in this older version of the Laney TT50 combo? The newer TT50s are loaded with Celestion Classic Lead 80s. I have no clue what's in the older TT50 combo im buying.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
Any reasons why you really disliked the Orange?

I found it very thin and fizzy, and completely lifeless tonewise. It just didn't strike me as a good amp in any capacity.
Looks like the Laney TT50 is the one to get!

Here's a dilemma though:

If I buy the amp tomorrow, I won't be able to try the Jet City amps at all. The Jet City amps are still on their way to Hong Kong (probably still in an airplane or in a ship) and may not arrive tomorrow. HOWEVER, the more I delay the purchase, the more likely this used Laney TT50 is going to be purchased by someone else. In fact, when I called the store, they said there was another interested customer. Of course, they could just be bluffing...trying to get me to buy it sooner.

So what does UG say? What do I do? Wait longer until I can give the Jet City JCA20H a whirl, but bring up the risk of losing the Laney TT50 to another customer? Or forget the Jet City entirely and go with the Laney TT50 before someone else snags it?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Could you put money down on the laney to secure it?
Ask at the store when you go, if not grrab that laney
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Just get the Laney, seriously.

The Jet City is a cool amp, but it's not going to do metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Go for the Laney. Maybe try out the Flextone with an EQ in the loop?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Just get the Laney.

/thread
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The TT50 is easily the best option,I wouldn't hesitate. $450 is a steal for such a great amp.

The Tiny Terror is great fun but practically useless to you, likewise the Vox Night Train. The Jet City is a little too smooth for your liking though it'll sound great for lead tones if you pair it with the right cab.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Just get the Laney, seriously.

The Jet City is a cool amp, but it's not going to do metal.
According to their site:

"With two channels of Soldano tone and 100 watts of pure tube power, this is our flagship. The Normal channel has plenty of headroom to deliver clear, bright clean tones and can be driven hard enough to get downright raunchy. The Overdrive channel is the circuit that made Soldano famous. It’s been modeled and imitated, but this is the real-effing-high-gain-deal."

I would think it could pull of metal with a boost, but I'm not sure.
ALRIGHTY BOYS AND GIRLS, I BOUGHT THE LANEY TT50!!!!!

This thing is f**king amazing. It doesn't have enough gain for some serious chuggah-chuggah, but it's amazing nonetheless!

NAD thread coming!

thanks everyone!
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon