Hey guys, I was just curious if I could put light electric stings on my acoustic. I want very soft strings on my acoustic but I don't know if they will sound horrible. Thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
They will sound rubish.
I've played acoustic with electric strings, horrible experience.
I was stringing one of my electrics with Dean Markley custom lights and I noticed the envelopes of the G, B, and high E strings said electric or acoustic strings but the heavier strings only said electric.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
I haven't tried dean markley's electric strings on acoustic but I played d'addario electric strins on an acoustic. It had annoying tinny sound, no bass and very uncomfortable.
i think light gauge acoustic guitar strings are pretty light already. how ****ing light do you want them?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
ominous24, try d'addario acoustic phosphor bronze extra lights. i find them very easy on the fingers - i moved up to them from regular lights. they're very low tension - you can see the tensions on the pages for each string but not too low tension.

lights: http://store.daddario.com/category/144849/EJ16_Light_12-53
extra lights: http://store.daddario.com/category/144848/EJ15_Extra_Light_10-47

i found electric guitar strings were so floppy on my acoustics that certain playing techniques didn't work very well. btw, electric strings are made with steel so that the magnetic pickups on electric guitars can pick them up. acoustic strings are made of metals that are more acoustically pleasing for the wound strings.

if that doesn't work, you might want to move to a guitar with a shorter scale. one of the reasons i'm playing seagulls is their shorter scale means less string tension.