Yes, that way round

As many of us in this thread know, guitars can sound sexy as hell through a bass amp, or even just bass speakers.
But let me get to the point, I have 2 questions:
-If bass speakers can handle bass and guitar frequencies, why not make guitar orientated speakers that can?
-With an 8 string guitar (tuned F# to E) are bass speakers necessary for the lower notes? (the low F# only being one whole step from the low E of standard bass tuning) If not, then why?

I thought I'd ask here so I didn't get a load of guitards going:
'why canit ye play bass throo guitar amp fer?" and just in general for more intelligent answers

thanks guys
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
1. I'm not sure if that's possible, but then again, I'm not a speaker expert.
2. It's not the tuning that hurts a guitar amp when you run a bass through it, so you'd be fine running an 8 string guitar through a guitar amp.
If it's not because of the low notes, then what is it? Is it something about the scale lenth affecting the timbre?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

1.Ive been playing my guitar through my 40w bass amp and your right it does sound sexy, also a known fact Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath plugged his Gibson into the bass socket of his amps. I blew up a guitar amp playing my bass through it so I have no idea on that whatsoever.
2. I dont see why you can't play an 8 string through any amp to be honest.
Quote by gilly_90
If it's not because of the low notes, then what is it? Is it something about the scale lenth affecting the timbre?

I'd assume it's something about the pickups, but the scale length probably has something to do with it as well.
Its usually because of the range of sound frequencies that both amps can handle.

Bass amps usually only cover Lows to Mids, and Guitar with a more higher range while sacrificing more of the lows.

The reason a Bass amp's woofer can handle the guitar is probably because its made with stronger materials since it requires a lot of force to give the vibration that it needs.

A Guitar amp's mid-range driver is only often made with paper or composite materials, hence it gets blown when you drive bass frequencies through it.

You can probably play an 8 string through a guitar amp, but you'll only be limited to the higher notes since the speakers cant handle the lower ones meant for bass.

And making an amp that can play for both Guitar and Bass is unethical, its like selling a ham-and-cheese sandwich to a guy that hates cheese and will probably just throw it away. Its bad for business.
Last edited by Riverback at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by gilly_90

I'm not an expert on acoustics, but to me it would seem to be a timbre issue, the bass timbre is more complex which translates to more energy, a lot of this energy is on the fundamental of a note which takes further excursion to reproduce and means more stress on the speakers. Scale length and string gauge, along with bass picking techniques, are a big part of that timbre. Not a range issue at all or you couldn't play a guitar with an octave pedal through a guitar amp and that's done every day.

Some companies do make "guitar" speakers that are supposed to handle bass. A lot of vintage speakers didn't differentiate between the two and even today I know a lot of Jensen's guitar speakers say they're ok for bass, granted these are vintage style speakers and they're rms wattage isn't very high enough for many bass amps to begin with. I'm sure other companies do the same thing.

Add to that the fact that despite the truth behind our warning, we over-hype the danger to guitar speakers by a long shot on this forum (You're not really going to blow quality guitar speakers in the course of a week from playing bass unless you're an idiot), and you see how a fair few guitar speakers actually are resilliant enough for bass. People understandably just don't want to press their luck and end up with ruined speakers.

Quote by Alex Vik
I'd assume it's something about the pickups, but the scale length probably has something to do with it as well.

Not really the case, the difference in pickups is for things like pole positioning. Most guitar pups used in a bass with bass electronics sound just like bass pickups. I too was astounded the first time I heard it, but it really makes sense, there's not any real difference other than dimensions and the output of individual pickup models.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by Riverback
And making an amp that can play for both Guitar and Bass is unethical, its like selling a ham-and-cheese sandwich to a guy that hates cheese and will probably just throw it away. Its bad for business.

not only that, but something like that might end up being rather expensive anyway
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Not really the case, the difference in pickups is for things like pole positioning. Most guitar pups used in a bass with bass electronics sound just like bass pickups. I too was astounded the first time I heard it, but it really makes sense, there's not any real difference other than dimensions and the output of individual pickup models.

So, that means I could put a Fernandez Sustainer pickup in a bass if I wanted?
It would work, but noone is promising it will sound good
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Alex Vik
So, that means I could put a Fernandez Sustainer pickup in a bass if I wanted?

It might not have enough pull to do its job as well as it would on guitar. I try to use an ebow on bass from time to time and it is much more tricky than on guitar. Those strings are bigger and therefore harder to move with magnetic pull.
Answering question 1, they do make guitar speakers that can handle bass, they are called bass cabs. There is no difference in guitar and bass speakers besides the size and the amount of travel allowed by the cab. Please note that I am not an expert on this, but all of my side research indicates this.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
so would that mean that guitar speakers are a gimmick?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

to answer 1, im pretty sure the bottom line is price. guitar cabs are cheaper if they dont have to worry about low notes

The Fender Bassman is one of my favorite examples of a versatile amp, exelent for both bass and guitar. Sure, you have to lower almost all treble when you play bass on higher volumes. But its a slayer in classic rock with a guitar.
Could I get a guitar head for my 115+410?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

That's exactly what I was thinking
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Guitar amps tend to need higher treble response than a bass amp can give.

You'd probably be better off splitting your signal through a bass speaker and a guitar speaker

Bass speakers need to handle pushing a lot of air and frequency ranges as bass notes are both lower and higher frequencies than guitar notes; however, guitars need a higher treble responce then basses tend to need measured on milliseconds and/or microseconds
xbox live gamertag: phillips215