Hello, i'm quite new to practicing guitar seriously. i am the guy who could play a few songs with horrible sound. I decided to start practicing seriously (since i injured my tennis shoulder :[ ). I know the most general knowledge that most beginner's know of music theory (almost nothing *cough*)

how do i know which position to use on which note?

remember im new. try to put it in layman's terms please. Thx for ur time
Well for example, most of the time you let your index finger set the tone for the rest of the fingers and how they might be played on a scale. For example, an Am Pent at he 5th fret starting on A, youd use your index, and since the 8 is 3 frets away from that, most use their pinky (not all) The remaining strings would use Index and middle finger to play the notes up to the B and E strings which would then resume with a 1st and 4th finger.

So, in essence play slowly and determine which fingers seem to naturally fall across the notes the most effectively. Sometimes you may have a position shift. Look at whats there and determine what seems to be the easiest way to do that, but take your time, and test it.
As long as you're playing the correct pitch its really up to you what position you play it in, and what position you choose will depend on practicality - how easy is it to get to and from the notes around it - and the sound you want to achieve. For example an open top e string will have a different tonal quality to playing it at the 14th fret of your D string
that confused me a bit. thx for the quick response though.

i cant tell what im asking anymore lol... sorry. im really sick and cant think straight. soo ill be training muscle memory =P

learning Am pentatonic as we speak... its really hard for me to understand thats all. i wish i could afford a teacher.
Quote by zhilla
As long as you're playing the correct pitch its really up to you what position you play it in, and what position you choose will depend on practicality - how easy is it to get to and from the notes around it - and the sound you want to achieve. For example an open top e string will have a different tonal quality to playing it at the 14th fret of your D string

Thats a biggy aye. Picked that up when I was learning bass. Won't matter too much atm, you just need to focus on convenience and ease of transition between notes.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
What else you're playing will have an influence too - for example if you've got two open A chords either side of your lead part then it's going to be more convenient to keep your hand in the same position, if the sounds you want are available to you. However, if you're moving from an A to an E chord at the 7th fret then you'll probably want to pick notes that lead you along to that chord, both in a physical sense but also in terms of how they sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ah sorry - hadn't twigged you were talking about scales.

You can play a scale anywhere you can find the notes, and there are just 5 notes in a pentatonic scale. The minor pentatonic is the same as the minor scale with the 2nd and 6th scale degrees omitted - which makes it R b3 4 5 b7 - or for A min A C D E G

I reckon you've got 2 options - you can draw yourself a map of the fretboard, work out what notes are in the scale and draw them on your map. Then choose where you are going to play the scale.

Or you can start off with learning scale patterns and then learn what the notes are and how they relate to each other.

Scale patterns may give you quicker instant results, but imo working out the scale yourself from the notes/intervals will give you a much better understanding and stand you in better stead for using the scale to make music in the future - which after all is the reason for learning it.
Last edited by zhilla at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by Taco_Masher
that confused me a bit. thx for the quick response though.

i cant tell what im asking anymore lol... sorry. im really sick and cant think straight. soo ill be training muscle memory =P

learning Am pentatonic as we speak... its really hard for me to understand thats all. i wish i could afford a teacher.

Are you just starting out? What do you/have you learned on the guitar and through what sources? How old are you? What are your practice habits like? How long have you been trying to teach yourself to play?

I may be able to help. PM me.
Well i want to learn metal. i dont listen to much yet. Some random angra, ozzy, ballads, etc... I love the guitar parts to most metal, but its the singing that throws me off it sometimes. Like death metal = god guitar/hurts my ears trying to understand vocals. lol,

ive learned the major scale pattern and the minor pen pattern on ONE STRING, BUT i don't know the notes on the guitar yet. Right now i can read notes on a guitar like a kid learns how to count: going through it chronologically until i reach the one i need LoL.